Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Oct 5, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,021 of 2,030
Happy to help.

To kick the Elex into yet another realm, get a balanced setup and use the XLR cable. I bought a FiiO Q5 ($350) and a 2.5mm balanced to XLR adapter ($30 at Amazon). With the low gain setting and 35 percent volume it has a blacker background, punchier dynamics, better bass than my other sources. And it has high quality, battery powered Bluetooth. It's well worth the price to me.

I came away from the Magni 3 thinking they spent all the production money on the hefty chassis and power supply, not the internals... By the way, some Magni 3 test data just came out here (note that this guy is usually a strong Schiit critic):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/

I have a Q5 as well. Pretty darn good portable amp. It drives my power hungry AFCs effortlessly in balanced mode.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,023 of 2,030
Picked up some used Elex about a month ago and have really been enjoying them as my primary headphones. Swapped on the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin, turned the 20Hz knob on my Loki up to 4:30 or so, and they felt like my endgame (for medium term now) headphones.

Listening to some new music today, "ID" by Boombox Cartel and Flosstradamus, and at the 1:08 mark the clipping hit for the first time. So defeating for a headphone I like so much. :triportsad:

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,024 of 2,030
Picked up some used Elex about a month ago and have really been enjoying them as my primary headphones. Swapped on the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin, turned the 20Hz knob on my Loki up to 4:30 or so, and they felt like my endgame (for medium term now) headphones.

Listening to some new music today, "ID" by Boombox Cartel and Flosstradamus, and at the 1:08 mark the clipping hit for the first time. So defeating for a headphone I like so much. :triportsad:

Can you comment on the dekoni pads vs stock pads without EQ?

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,025 of 2,030
Can you comment on the dekoni pads vs stock pads without EQ?
I'm not sure I've used the Elex for more than 5-10 min without EQ, sorry.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,026 of 2,030
What's the consensus about the stock cables of the Elex?

I ask, because got myself a pair a couple of weeks ago, and I was finding the top end to be a little too hot and aggressive (or a bit harshly bright for me, as some might want to say)... I was actually considering putting it right back on the market.

However, yesterday (Monday) I received some adapters from norne audio that have enabled me to replace the stock cable with a Norne Silvergarde S cable, and what a difference!. ... The top end is now sounding really smooth, unaggressive, and well-behaved, enhancing and cleaning up detail retrieval, without losing any of it... I am now getting a more relatively refined and composed performance from the Elex, one that I can really and unambiguously call "high-end," a performance that is enabling me to appreciate its real sonic virtues, which are quite remarkable (the wide, airy sound staging, the instrument separation and layering, the excellent bass texture and extension, among others) , and that is really sweet indeed! I have also tried the Draug V3 with it, with slightly different, but comparably excellent results. Best part? I've been listening to this unit continuously for many many hours now, and feel no fatigue at all (not to mention hearing zero clipping)... Now did i mention composed and well-behaved?:)

As we always say on these forums YMMV

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,027 of 2,030

How’s the clamping force on your Elex with the Dekoni pads? I recently got the Elex pads for my Elear (been using Dekoni fen) and must say the Elex pads are like soft cushions by comparison. Not that the Dekoni are uncomfortable at all, but I feel the clamp on my jaw far less with the fabric pads.

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,028 of 2,030
How’s the clamping force on your Elex with the Dekoni pads? I recently got the Elex pads for my Elear (been using Dekoni fen) and must say the Elex pads are like soft cushions by comparison. Not that the Dekoni are uncomfortable at all, but I feel the clamp on my jaw far less with the fabric pads.
Dekoni pads are definitely firmer than the stock Elex, but the stock Elex are probably the most compressible pads I've ever used (very soft foam and they're fenestrated so they don't form an air pocket that slows compression).

But neither are anywhere near my preference due to the Elex's general lack of clamp. My preference is an extremely strong clamp (brand new HD6XX were the closest I've ever felt to "right" for clamping force from a headphone).

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,029 of 2,030
Dekoni pads are definitely firmer than the stock Elex, but the stock Elex are probably the most compressible pads I've ever used (very soft foam and they're fenestrated so they don't form an air pocket that slows compression).

But neither are anywhere near my preference due to the Elex's general lack of clamp. My preference is an extremely strong clamp (brand new HD6XX were the closest I've ever felt to "right" for clamping force from a headphone).
Interesting you think the Elex has too little clamp; I have an Elear (converted to an Elex) and it has way too much clamp. The only thing that makes it really comfortable for longer sessions are the Elex pads. Then again mine is modded with a suspension strap, which changes the fit slightly and probably contributes to the stronger clamp. I can go skydiving with these headphones and they won’t come off!

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,031 of 2,030
I’m not a fan of the stock cables. They are a little too stiff for me.

I got a cable from Venus Audio and I’m pleased with it. It’s OCC SPC Litz wire.

I can’t say there was a sonic improvement over the stock cable but ergonomics are way better.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,032 of 2,030
Anyone A/B the stock cables and hear a difference? Thoughts on the stock cables in general? Any cable upgrade recommendations?

Yes. I used a FiiO Q5 portable balanced DAC/Amp and a 2.5mm to XLR adapter versus the 3.5mm standard output.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/83

There are real differences, but they are subtle. With the XLR/balanced output:

1. The Q5 plays louder
2. There's less background noise
3. There's better channel separation

I'm happy with the stock cables and have no intention to change them.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,033 of 2,030
I'll be getting the Elex's in a week and I don't have a good desktop amp to play music directly from my computer. I currently have HD6xx, Beyer 770 250ohm Pro, Pioneer XDP--300R, and what I'm wanting to replace is the Fiio E07K. The 300R is so much better than the EO7K, that I don't even use the E07k anymore, but I have to transfer my files to the DAP before playing them because it's not a USB DAC. I usually listen to my HD6xx with balanced cables with my DAP, even though most of my listening is next to my computer. I need a recommendation for a dac, amp, or dac/amp combo mainly for the Elex. I don't mind paying up to around $500 or $600 total, used or new. What I see out there is CTH/SDAC combo, LCX/SDAC combo, and a variety of other amps, tube amps, and DACs. I was going to wait it out for the Monoprice Monolith but the release date got pushed back to December 12th. I would appreciate a little guidance. I'm sure I'll like a lot of my options, but figured I ask the Elex owners. I can wait to purchase too, as I already bought a xlr to 2.5mm adapter so I can immediately start enjoying and burning in the Elex's.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #1,034 of 2,030
I'll be getting the Elex's in a week and I don't have a good desktop amp to play music directly from my computer. I currently have HD6xx, Beyer 770 250ohm Pro, Pioneer XDP--300R, and what I'm wanting to replace is the Fiio E07K. The 300R is so much better than the EO7K, that I don't even use the E07k anymore, but I have to transfer my files to the DAP before playing them because it's not a USB DAC. I usually listen to my HD6xx with balanced cables with my DAP, even though most of my listening is next to my computer. I need a recommendation for a dac, amp, or dac/amp combo mainly for the Elex. I don't mind paying up to around $500 or $600 total, used or new. What I see out there is CTH/SDAC combo, LCX/SDAC combo, and a variety of other amps, tube amps, and DACs. I was going to wait it out for the Monoprice Monolith but the release date got pushed back to December 12th. I would appreciate a little guidance. I'm sure I'll like a lot of my options, but figured I ask the Elex owners. I can wait to purchase too, as I already bought a xlr to 2.5mm adapter so I can immediately start enjoying and burning in the Elex's.
I would highly recommend the Audio-gd R2R-11. Maybe a bit too warm for the HD6XX but it’d pair wonderfully with the Elex and possibly the Beyers. The line out from the DAC is great too. Shipping can be expensive but it’s still the best combo in its price range. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back