Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #991 of 2,033
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #993 of 2,033
MassDrop selling replacement pads for the Elex. Great price too compared to the clear pads!!!

This is great news, I’m glad to see MD is selling these for a very reasonable price.
I was concerned with the longevity of the elex pads due to how pillowy soft they were, so I’m happy I can buy spares just in case!

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #994 of 2,033
Agreed. @Viper2005 how is the pairing of the Elex with the Ragnarok and the Jot?

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #995 of 2,033
Its great, super dynamic on the Yggy/Rag combo!
It also pairs very well with the new AudioGD R28.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #997 of 2,033
Agreed. @Viper2005 how is the pairing of the Elex with the Ragnarok and the Jot?
I found the Elex to sound very dynamic and engaging with the multi-bit Jot. Then I moved up to the Hugo II and found a whole new level of enjoyment! These headphones scale really well and I have no plans of getting rid of them anytime soon.

Im down for two replacement sets... Just in case this drop doesn't happen again.

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #999 of 2,033
The Elex pairs super well with the new Audio GD R28!

9938388_l.jpg

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,000 of 2,033
Is anyone using Elex with a DAP more than with a desktop system? If so, which DAPs and what are your thoughts on the pairings?

I use it with an Onkyo DP-S1 when I'm listening out on my deck and patio, though this summer weather is starting to go away here in Seattle. :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,001 of 2,033
Is anyone using Elex with a DAP more than with a desktop system? If so, which DAPs and what are your thoughts on the pairings?

I use my Elex with a FiiO Q5 portable amp/DAC about 80% of the time. The Q5 is basically a FiiO DAP without local storage, and relies on USB, Bluetooth, or another input source. I find the single-ended amp output to be sterile/neutral but a bit thin. I greatly prefer the balanced output, which involves a 2.5mm to XLR adapter and the Elex XLR cable. With balanced output the Elex have a very black noise floor, deeper bass, a clean high-end, better note definition, and overall neutrality.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,003 of 2,033
As does the Elear. Takes the Focal headphones to a different level IMO.

Agreed. I hadn't used the Elex much until I got my R28, now it's one of my favorites!
It just doesn't perform the same with Schiit gear.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,005 of 2,033
Oh those Seattle summers are spectacular.

How do you like the Onkyo with the Elex? I'm contemplating going full portable to minimize my gear.

We like to tell others that it rains here all year so we stop getting such an in-flux of people like we have been. Our summers are awful. Stop populating our city please. :)

The Onkyo pairs well with it. I've been listening to it with the DAP more than my other headphone amps. The Elex doesn't require a ton of power which is great. I am using my own balanced xlr cable and an xlr-2.5mm adapter i made to run it off the DAP. I'm sure it sounds fine on 3.5mm connection too but (could be placebo) everything sounds better when using the balanced connection on this DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back