Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #603 of 2,033
Can someone confirm where the serial number is? My right ear cup has two serial numbers, one is a long mix of letters and numbers, and the other is a shorter one that starts with M followed by a 5-digit numeric tail.

Neither of these seem like they reflect the ~750 or so Elex units that have shipped so far.

May 1, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #604 of 2,033
Just got pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrid Pads for Focal, testing on my Elex. I am noticing a wider bigger soundstage, on my setup, detail maybe slightly better, bass a little less bloom as well. Comfort better than the stock pads, velour is less itchy/scratchy and softer. Sound is more delicate with them to my ears. They are soft Lambskin leather with velour face, and perforated on the inside surface. Dekoni has a winner here, and much cheaper than Focal Pads.

May 1, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #605 of 2,033
Has anyone noticed any pops when using their Elex? I'll hear some pops every now and then when using my pair. If it matters I'm running a Bifrost Uber and a Mjolnir 1. I've had this set up for a while and never heard pops with my other headphones.

May 2, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #607 of 2,033
Just got pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrid Pads for Focal, testing on my Elex. I am noticing a wider bigger soundstage, on my setup, detail maybe slightly better, bass a little less bloom as well. Comfort better than the stock pads, velour is less itchy/scratchy and softer. Sound is more delicate with them to my ears. They are soft Lambskin leather with velour face, and perforated on the inside surface. Dekoni has a winner here, and much cheaper than Focal Pads.
Any midrange “suckout” or 10khz peak with the Dekoni pads? If not, they could be the solution to “fixing” the Elear instead of having to buy an Elex just for the pads.

May 2, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #608 of 2,033
Can anyone comment on the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads on the elex, generally? How's the sound and the comfort? I'll totally buy them if they're well reviewed.

May 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #610 of 2,033
I just got my pair of Focal Elex last night and am still building an informed opinion on them. So far so good. I am very happy to learn that these aren't fatiguing, something that plagued me with the DT1990 (as much as I loved them I could only do about an hour at a time). I would agree with a previous reviewer that these are more an upgrade to the HD600 than the HD650s. If you want a real treat, and you own these, and have Spotify, checkout the Chesky Records playlist. Really a joy to listen to just about every song on there. "Isn't She Lovely" by Livingston Taylor is a real standout.

May 2, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #611 of 2,033
Has anyone noticed any pops when using their Elex? I'll hear some pops every now and then when using my pair. If it matters I'm running a Bifrost Uber and a Mjolnir 1. I've had this set up for a while and never heard pops with my other headphones.
Pops & crackling on my first pair too. You're the 3rd person so far besides myself who I've seen with issues.

May 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #613 of 2,033
Has anyone contacted Massdrop about this? I contacted the seller from Ebay, where I purchased mine and I am having some problems getting this resolved. I requested a return back to the seller.

May 2, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #614 of 2,033
I am having clicking sounds on the left ear cup, appears to me to be a mechanical issue, not in the music but coming from the headphone cup itself.
I'm pretty disappointed with Focal tbh. Apparently this issue goes back to the Elear & the Utopia too. I thought they had better QA given their boutique nature but nope...

Has anyone contacted Massdrop about this? I contacted the seller from Ebay, where I purchased mine and I am having some problems getting this resolved. I requested a return back to the seller.
I contacted support the same day I got them, was dispatched a replacement the next day. They should be here this weekend. If the second pair are broken too I'm getting a refund & looking elsewhere. The Ebay thing is completely out of Massdrop's hands though. I don't know if third party selling is covered under warranty but I'll read the manual & find out.

//edit: There isn't any warranty information in any of the 3 booklets so I guess you'll have to contact Massdrop about it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #615 of 2,033
Pops & crackling on my first pair too. You're the 3rd person so far besides myself who I've seen with issues.

Cool, thanks for confirming I'm not the only one with this issue. I spent about 2 hours listening to my HE-560 through the same set up just to confirm it wasn't a new issue that just developed with my dac/amp. I'm gonna listen again today just to confirm I'm really hearing it every now and then and then I'll contact Massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back