Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,261 of 2,030
I've had two pairs of Elex (the left channel of the balanced cable on the first failed after less than two months and, although I requested a replacement of the cable only, MD's policy required a replacement of the entire package--in fact, they shipped me the new one before I even sent back the old). No clipping problem with either on my normal relatively loud listening. I also tested both pairs by playing Why So Serious from The Dark Knight soundtrack, notorious for causing the clipping problem on the Elex, at skull splitting volume without a problem.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #1,264 of 2,030
Here’s an EQ I’ve been working on for the Focal Elex. It’s really meant to be used with the Monolith THX-AAA Balanced Amp since it uses a combination of shelf EQ for the low frequencies and parametric for the treble.

focal elex eq.png

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,266 of 2,030
Excellent. Which EQ program are you using? I didn't recognize the interface. Thanks.

This is Room EQ Wizard (REW). It's not an EQ but a measurement and analysis tool for audio. I use it to predict my headphone's response to EQ.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,267 of 2,030
I've had two pairs of Elex (the left channel of the balanced cable on the first failed after less than two months and, although I requested a replacement of the cable only, MD's policy required a replacement of the entire package--in fact, they shipped me the new one before I even sent back the old). No clipping problem with either on my normal relatively loud listening. I also tested both pairs by playing Why So Serious from The Dark Knight soundtrack, notorious for causing the clipping problem on the Elex, at skull splitting volume without a problem.
I currently have a Mimby+Magni 2U. My Elex is getting here on Monday as well as a Liquid Carbon X. Out of your DAC/amp combos, which has been your favorite so far with the Elex?

Any other DAC/amp suggestions from others are welcome! I prefer to run it with the balanced cable. But I’ve also read about OTL actually being great with the warm tube sound smoothing out the Elex and pairing nicely. Considering getting a Loxjie P20 or Bottlehead Crack.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #1,268 of 2,030
I currently have a Mimby+Magni 2U. My Elex is getting here on Monday as well as a Liquid Carbon X. Out of your DAC/amp combos, which has been your favorite so far with the Elex?

Any other DAC/amp suggestions from others are welcome! I prefer to run it with the balanced cable. But I’ve also read about OTL actually being great with the warm tube sound smoothing out the Elex and pairing nicely. Considering getting a Loxjie P20 or Bottlehead Crack.

I am using and loving just this combination -- elex with Liquid Carbon X. Fantastic. Feeding from Grace Design m920.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,270 of 2,030

Sounds pretty great to me with the Loxjie P20 and Topping D10 using balanced. Awaiting a Massdrop SMSL SU-8 to have balanced into the Loxjie. As is, I like it as much as using my Mojo or Woo WA7 with the Elex.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,272 of 2,030
Sounds pretty great to me with the Loxjie P20 and Topping D10 using balanced. Awaiting a Massdrop SMSL SU-8 to have balanced into the Loxjie. As is, I like it as much as using my Mojo or Woo WA7 with the Elex.
Also, I’ve never run a fully balanced setup before. Any suggestions on an affordable balanced cable between the dac and amp?

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,273 of 2,030

Make sure if you go OTL that the output resistance is less than 8 ohms or you’re going to get a boost in bass around 50 hz. This may be desirable, but just be aware.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,274 of 2,030

I think the Elex sounds great with Audio-gd gear, especially their R2R DACs. So, the R2R-11 (which only has a single-ended amp) would be a solid combo pick on which to build a balanced amp offshoot chain. The R-28, which is entirely balanced, is my endgame combo that I'm saving up for.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #1,275 of 2,030

Users who are viewing this thread

Back