Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 9, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #1,246 of 2,030
I prefer the stock Elex pads to the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin strictly for sound reasons. I picked up a pair when those were the only spare pads for sale that didn't cost over $100. They're nicer looking and feeling than the stock Elex pads, but the change to the tuning isn't for me.

Fwiw, I'm gonna post them in the sale/trade forum, if anyone's interested in a barely used set.

What makes the Elex pads preferable to you over the Dekonis?

For me I think the main reason I prefer the Dekonis is it makes them less fatiguing when listening to music with a lot of treble energy.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,247 of 2,030
What makes the Elex pads preferable to you over the Dekonis?

For me I think the main reason I prefer the Dekonis is it makes them less fatiguing when listening to music with a lot of treble energy.

I think it’s that the Dekoni pads push the upper mids past the point where I’m comfortable. The Elex with stock tuning pushes that level as far as I can handle it, even with my admittedly warmer set-up. All things being equal, I think my ideal tuning would have a mid peak closer to 2-3k, but the Elex’s presence peak is higher up the FR. Anything that knocks that out of balance in the wrong direction just gives me instant fatigue, given the headphone’s intense dynamics. Heck a brighter upstream signal might do the same thing for all I know.

With a warmer headphone, I’d be more flexible with aftermarket pads. Since stock Elex pads are a thing, it’s not something I need to worry about. Thankfully! So while I don’t disagree with your assessment, I find that the Dekoni pads are detracting from my personal experience. But objectively, it doesn’t sound bad, just a touch too energetic in places I don’t need it. If that makes sense...

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,248 of 2,030
Something I just noticed today: These headphones sound best to me at moderate volume. By moderate, I mean a little louder than normal speaking volume in a quiet room. Turn it up too much beyond that and the detail drops, the dynamics start to compress and the soundstage loses width. This isn’t as true for my planars which more or less keep the same sonic performance to higher volume levels though with less dynamic range than the Elex. My guess is at high volume the Elex drivers reach the end of their travel every time there’s a drum hit or other sonic peak, resulting in clipping distortion and compression. Since my music chain is set up to maximize dynamic range / minimize compression, the peaks are pretty high compared to the average and so the sound degrades sooner than it would otherwise.

That said, at moderate volume they really perform. The instruments sound real and it feels like you’re there, especially with live recordings.

Edited to include more BS

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,249 of 2,030
Got a 3 meter cable yesterday to use my Elex for watching movies. Went about 5 minutes before the sub-bass crackle and pop became overwhelming. It hasn't really been an issue for me with music except on a few songs or if I EQ the bass higher. I didn't buy these for watching movies so not a huge problem, but I would not have purchased them (used via eBay) had I known that they were only usable for many movies except on volumes lower than I prefer.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,250 of 2,030
Got a 3 meter cable yesterday to use my Elex for watching movies. Went about 5 minutes before the sub-bass crackle and pop became overwhelming. It hasn't really been an issue for me with music except on a few songs or if I EQ the bass higher. I didn't buy these for watching movies so not a huge problem, but I would not have purchased them (used via eBay) had I known that they were only usable for many movies except on volumes lower than I prefer.
Sub-bass crackle and pop? I've never heard either on the Elex either when listening to music or movies. And I play them fairly loud. I generally use the Sennheiser HD700 for movies/TV (because of is wide soundstage) but I've used the Elex (my primary headphone for music) a fair amount without any issue. FWIW, my chain for TV/movies atm is optical from TV or coaxial from Blu-ray player>Mimby>CTH. For music it's Tidal Hifi from laptop USB>Eitr>Mimby>THX 789. (I have two Mimbys, but replacing the replacing the one in the music chain next week with an SMSL SU-8 for the balanced outputs.)

I do understand that the Elex drivers will (by design) physically clip on bassy material, but they shouldn't do this except at skull splitting volume. However, it appears that some defective pairs may clip at only moderately loud volumes. Unfortunately, that may be your problem. Do you still have a warranty on the used pair?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,251 of 2,030
I got them off ebay, and while still under warranty, I don't really have the issue at the music volume I listen to, nor do I have a receipt. I only have the problem on very specific songs at high volumes. I'd think most drama movies would be fine, but this was an action movie where explosions would result in distortion and crackling. My Mobius distort a bit when I watch movies too loudly. No issues with the HD700, which I agree is great for movies due to wide soundstage. For movies I'm using them straight out of Pioneer SC-91 AVR.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,252 of 2,030
I got them off ebay, and while still under warranty, I don't really have the issue at the music volume I listen to, nor do I have a receipt. I only have the problem on very specific songs at high volumes. I'd think most drama movies would be fine, but this was an action movie where explosions would result in distortion and crackling. My Mobius distort a bit when I watch movies too loudly. No issues with the HD700, which I agree is great for movies due to wide soundstage. For movies I'm using them straight out of Pioneer SC-91 AVR.

hello, i see you also have Mojo and 6XX, don't mind sharing how you find the Elex coming from 6XX?

looking to upgrade to Elear or LCD X..

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,253 of 2,030
hello, i see you also have Mojo and 6XX, don't mind sharing how you find the Elex coming from 6XX?

looking to upgrade to Elear or LCD X..
To me it's not much like the 6XX/650. I like them but wasn’t wowed like I’ve been by some others and initially thought about selling them. Despite the weight, I find the Elex more comfortable. I’ve mostly been using HD700 since a couple months after getting the 6XX (my first audiophile set) which for me made going back to the 6XX underwhelming given the loss in detail, and that they sound muddy and veiled with little soundstage in comparison. I’ve realized I like a big soundstage, so that’s my biggest disappointment with the Elex (and Clear the little bit I listened to one). Still they are impressive overall and have their own unique sound, so I’m keeping them. Newbie here so pardon my lack of audiophile vocab other than some of the broader terms.

Initially I thought the Elex were too bright and fatiguing, but I now understand that’s misinterpretation in how detailed they are, and my brain quickly adjusted so that I no longer feel that way and can wear them for hours. I know the HD 700 have a lot of criticism, but I’d suggest giving them a listen, especially if you have either of the Sonarworks apps and one of the recommended tube amps on the HD700 thread. They’re certainly cheaper than the Elex, especially used. For the same price, you could have the HD 700, the HE-4XX, and money left over.

I briefly tried out the LCD-X and immediately wanted to take them off due to weight. Sounded great but just too uncomfortable for me. It seems many prefer the Elex over the Elear, but I’ve not heard the Elear.

Most of my listening is with a Woo WA7, but I like all my phones with the Mojo too.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,255 of 2,030
Does anyone in the US know if the Massdrop warranty is transferable?

The Elex has a 2 year manufacturer's warranty (i.e. through Focal and not Massdrop) and Focal's warranties are non-transferable.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #1,257 of 2,030
So I'm pretty much set on buying the Elex based on my experiences auditioning the Elear and Clear. The price is right and it just seems like the perfect fit for me.

I'm currently reading through this thread and I'm only at page 55, which is shortly after the first Massdrop batches delivered. I'm reading a lot about the clipping/driver issues. Now that it's been almost a year, how has this issue been for people both new and old to the Elex? I'm really hoping Focal has straightened up this issue so I can jump on this drop!

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,258 of 2,030
i got mine from a blinq bstock sale at august last year. No issues with clipping for me.
sticking a noise measurement mic into the headphone and createing a ghetto seal with a cd my listening volume is around 75-85 db. I have never experienced clipping. I also have a 5db bass boost shelf for sub 60hz.

Others say they get clipping at similar volumes. Either people listen louder than they think they do or its a luck of the draw thing.

Given the warranty, i think it worth experiencing for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back