Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,231 of 2,030
[OT] My R-28 is on permanently for exactly that reason (as recommended by Kingwa). [/OT]

Yeah, I can't remember where I heard someone else say that, but I'm gonna have to start leaving it on. Thanks for the reminder!

Back to the topic (sorta), I'm thinking the THX 789 amp, when paired with the Elex, basically demands a high quality DAC since the amp sure isn't going to cover up any flaws from the source, and the Elex is so quick to pick up on those issues. And I bet the RDAC that was delayed until May is supposed to be the final part of Massdrop's master plan.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,232 of 2,030
Public Service Announcement: If you can, go to the Massdrop site and search for the Elex pads. Request for a "drop" if you haven't already. Maybe, they'll start up another drop for the pads @ $60.00 like they did in the past. I'd like a spare pair.

Also, I was a bit leery to post this information a few days ago, but the deal eventually expired. The site headphones.com had the Focal Elear with the $149 carry case and your choice of the Focal Clear or Focal Utopia ear pads along with the original Elear ear pads for $649. The price has since gone to $799. :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #1,233 of 2,030
Public Service Announcement: If you can, go to the Massdrop site and search for the Elex pads. Request for a "drop" if you haven't already. Maybe, they'll start up another drop for the pads @ $60.00 like they did in the past. I'd like a spare pair.

Also, I was a bit leery to post this information a few days ago, but the deal eventually expired. The site headphones.com had the Focal Elear with the $149 carry case and your choice of the Focal Clear or Focal Utopia ear pads along with the original Elear ear pads for $649. The price has since gone to $799. :frowning2:

Yes, that was an excellent deal. I was considering it but decided it would be worth it to me to go for Clears instead.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,234 of 2,030
Ah, that makes more sense. I agree wholeheartedly that the Auteur is far more accurate than the Elex/Elear/whatever it is that I’m using. The tones, timbre and overall cohesion of the Auteur (especially my somewhat unique Wenge hardwood version) is better than any other headphone I’ve heard to date. The Elex has a slight metallic sheen on some tracks (being a metallic driver), but is otherwise fairly neutral and highly dynamic (more so than most headphones I’ve heard).

I’ve never heard the DT1990, but from reviews I believe it has more treble energy than the Elex (not surprising for a Beyer - the DT990 is almost unlistenably bright), which could add to the ‘perceived’ detail of that headphone. Also being a Beyer studio monitor it’s also probably more ‘accurate’ than the fun and lively Elex. Again just speculation on my part, having not heard it myself.

One thing I’ve learned on this journey is that detail isn’t everything. It’s important, sure, which is one reason I always listen balanced, and upgraded to a more transparent and detailed amp/dac in the Audio-gd R-28. But being a subjectivist at heart and enjoying music for the emotional connection and ‘musicality’ rather than technical accuracy and measurements, I’ve almost stopped paying attention to differences between different headphones and sources and started just listening for the joy of it.

I guess you could say my gear journey is done, and I’m just sitting around the fire (or lounge as it were) and taking it all in. Still great fun reading and (occasionally) responding or helping out on these forums. Once this hobby is in your blood it never quite leaves you :)
You got it. Its the tones and the timbre that is slightly missing here. The Elex is really a badass HP in the sense it looks mean and is fun to listen to. If I just wanted a fun, chillout HP this would be it. My purpose is to have a good studio HP that is slightly brighter with lots of detail and correct timbre. I am reluctant to do the HD800 thing. It's hard to drive and not sure I want an HP I almost have to modify to listen to it for a long period of time. The DT1990 is a fall back too, although sometimes that Beyer sound gets to me.

I understand that the Clear has a different driver and that may be the difference. Despite the fact that their plots are the same, there seems to be a difference in tonality. I just may try to get a Clear in here to see if they are a little more "clear" even though they may not be as fun sounding.

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,236 of 2,030
I understand that the Clear has a different driver and that may be the difference. Despite the fact that their plots are the same, there seems to be a difference in tonality. I just may try to get a Clear in here to see if they are a little more "clear" even though they may not be as fun sounding.

You are right about that tonality. The Clear sounds noticeably different from the Elex, not quite as fun or explosive, but more even, coherent, and detailed. Despite the measurements, I don't think these two are competing for the same ears and I could definitely see (and see myself) owning both as complements to each other. Since you mentioned wanting a monitoring headphone, I would suggest auditioning the Clear. For many reasons, I think it's a better reference. The main one being: I don't think the Elex is going to give someone mixing audio an accurate understanding of how the mix will sound on other equipment. The dynamics are simply too uniquely punchy.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #1,238 of 2,030
What do you think?

I like them. Being leather, I know they'll last a long, long time.

Observations:

- A bit stiff initially for those who are used to the softer micro-fabric that the Elex headphones have. I plan on getting some leather balm to soften these a bit more.

- The highs appear to be "slightly" more prominent which is suspect is due to the leather not absorbing the frequencies as the micro-fabric might be a bit susceptible to doing.

- They don't appear too affect the bass or the mid-range performance - that I can tell.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #1,239 of 2,030
I like them. Being leather, I know they'll last a long, long time.

Observations:

- A bit stiff initially for those who are used to the softer micro-fabric that the Elex headphones have. I plan on getting some leather balm to soften these a bit more.

- The highs appear to be "slightly" more prominent which is suspect is due to the leather not absorbing the frequencies as the micro-fabric might be a bit susceptible to doing.

- They don't appear too affect the bass or the mid-range performance - that I can tell.
Is the foam inside the fenestrated pads yellow? If so, how noticeable is it? I've hesitated to buy them for that reason.

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,240 of 2,030
Is the foam inside the fenestrated pads yellow? If so, how noticeable is it? I've hesitated to buy them for that reason.

It's quite hard to see the yellow in the inside. I just held a flashlight up to my pads and had to search hard to see an actual color. The fenestrated (holes) are small enough that it doesn't draw attention to the foam. I found mine for $69.99 from World of Stereo and that included free shipping. They took about a week to arrive and were shipped out of N.J.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,241 of 2,030
I know about the so-called dampening, which is why I’m cautious about calling my headphone an ‘Elex’ in the true sense of the word. I know for sure it ‘clips’ at much higher volumes than the shipping Elex, for example, although you’d think dampening would ‘fix’ that in the Elex? Also the Elex pads aren’t exactly the same as the Clear pads, just for the record (different material).

All that said, every review I’ve read that measures and compares the Elex with the Elear and Elex/Clear pads finds them virtually identical, and impossible to pick out in a blind test. So for all intents and purposes, it’s an Elex. The Elear pads are probably the single most defective audio ‘part’ I’ve used to date :p

I've never directly compared the Elex to Elear with Clear pads on the same rig so I can't say they are identical. I don't rust identical measurements as I'd rather compare them in person. One person's virtual is another's different.

I don't know how the Elex are dampened but that's what the press said. If the Elear are more efficient than the Elex, I can see how that may be if the Elex are dampened and the Elear are not. I can imagine, dampening could have the effect of restraining the driver or subduing sound produced at equivalent power.

I had the Elex and Clear side by side a couple weeks ago and I could feel a difference between the pads. I didn't inspect them carefully, just noted the difference in texture and how they felt on the ears.

So given the pads are different and dampening different, I wouldn't call the Elear with Clear pads an Elex. I'm sure it's close but then again it's not. I assumed from your comments on this thread you were referring to an Elex as others I'm sure are. Perhaps start with the caveate that your impressions are an Elear with Clear pads. Nothing wrong with that, it just would make it clear to others specifically wanting information and impressions about the Elex.

Personally, I hardly care because I have an Elex and like it. I heard an Elear and didn't care for it but I haven't heard an Elear with Clear pads (I might like it more). I also didn't hear that Elear on my setup so that's not entirely fair either. Apparently, I haven't heard an Elex with Clear pads either. Just wanted to be transparent since your impressions are being adopted as Elex impressions.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,242 of 2,030
I've never directly compared the Elex to Elear with Clear pads on the same rig so I can't say they are identical. I don't rust identical measurements as I'd rather compare them in person. One person's virtual is another's different.

I don't know how the Elex are dampened but that's what the press said. If the Elear are more efficient than the Elex, I can see how that may be if the Elex are dampened and the Elear are not. I can imagine, dampening could have the effect of restraining the driver or subduing sound produced at equivalent power.

I had the Elex and Clear side by side a couple weeks ago and I could feel a difference between the pads. I didn't inspect them carefully, just noted the difference in texture and how they felt on the ears.

So given the pads are different and dampening different, I wouldn't call the Elear with Clear pads an Elex. I'm sure it's close but then again it's not. I assumed from your comments on this thread you were referring to an Elex as others I'm sure are. Perhaps start with the caveate that your impressions are an Elear with Clear pads. Nothing wrong with that, it just would make it clear to others specifically wanting information and impressions about the Elex.

Personally, I hardly care because I have an Elex and like it. I heard an Elear and didn't care for it but I haven't heard an Elear with Clear pads (I might like it more). I also didn't hear that Elear on my setup so that's not entirely fair either. Apparently, I haven't heard an Elex with Clear pads either. Just wanted to be transparent since your impressions are being adopted as Elex impressions.
The Elex and Elear are the same in every respect bar pads, color, and apparent tweaked dampening on the Elex. So they’re equally efficient.

As for pads, I’m using my Elear with real Elex pads (from Massdrop), not Clear pads, so bar for the supposed dampening differences, I have an Elex. That’s why I generally refer to it as an Elex, even though there are probably minuscule differences between the two.

I didn’t mind the Elear as an Elear but it improved markedly with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads from @DekoniAudio, which I felt fixed the ‘shortcomings’ of the Elear pads. The Elex pads are, for me, just another flavour.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,243 of 2,030
I didn’t mind the Elear as an Elear but it improved markedly with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads from @DekoniAudio, which I felt fixed the ‘shortcomings’ of the Elear pads. The Elex pads are, for me, just another flavour.

I prefer the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin to the Elex pads, but I get what you mean. Sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,244 of 2,030
I prefer the stock Elex pads to the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin strictly for sound reasons. I picked up a pair when those were the only spare pads for sale that didn't cost over $100. They're nicer looking and feeling than the stock Elex pads, but the change to the tuning isn't for me.

Fwiw, I'm gonna post them in the sale/trade forum, if anyone's interested in a barely used set.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,245 of 2,030

Here's a picture of one of my Dekani pads. As you can see, it's hard to see if there's really a color from the foam showing through the small holes in the sheepskin.

DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back