Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,216 of 2,030
Good way of starting rumors with 0 evidence.

Good point. Focal builds their own drivers and hand assembles the headphones in France. I've owned Focal "BE" Electra series home speakers, as well as their component separates in my automobiles. With all of their products, the quality has been top-notch, which is something I can't universally say for all other manufacturers. I highly doubt that Focal is cutting any corners on the Elex headphones.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,217 of 2,030
In the comments, metal571 mentioned that he was using the D50 > THX 789 > Elex. I don’t know much about the D50, but I do know the Elex is very quick to pick up on any upstream eccentricities in one’s chain. The combo of the D50 and the THX 789 might be too much of a type of thing for the Elex.Then again, I do agree that the Elex sounds a bit metallic. It IS basically an aluminum dynamic driver, after all.

Edited to remove off topic words.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #1,218 of 2,030
Good way of starting rumors with 0 evidence.
Ah, read the part where I said:" I think.....it's possible" doesn't sound like I said "I heard that........." My speculation only!!!

Actually my purpose here was not to beat up on the Elex, which by the way, I do like many aspects of. My purpose was to actually figure out whether this clarity, accuracy thing was an anomaly, that I may have a bad unit or maybe the Clear might have that extra detail that I am looking for at a higher price.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,219 of 2,030
Spent a lot of time A-Bing my Elex against an Aeon Flow Closed (a Very detailed set of cans). The Elex is definitely not as detailed, but it sometimes sounds more detailed because it is so dynamic that you hear more background (room reflections, audience, etc). I’ve come to the conclusion that detail isn’t everything and depending on what I’m listening to, sometimes dynamics are more important. Ideally, I’d own a pair of headphones that was outstanding in all respects, unfortunately that doesn’t exist (at least not in the sub-$1000 price range). The Elex isn’t perfect, but it does a lot of things astonishingly well and where it’s outperformed, it’s not missing by much.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,220 of 2,030
I wouldn’t necessarily hold the Elex up to the same standard as the LCD-X, but the Elex didn’t meet the same level of detail as my DT1990, either. I think that’s just how the Elex sounds.

I haven't heard the DT1990 but in their own right, they are supposed to be an impressive headphone, especially for monitoring. That would be a fun comparison.

Must say I’m quite surprised by your impressions. If there’s one thing my Elex has in spades, it’s detail. Then again my ‘Elex’ is really an Elear with Elex pads, which is essentially an Elex, but there has been some speculation floating around that the Elex uses slightly downgraded drivers from the Elear. Who knows? In any case, the one headphone I reach for when I want clarity and detail is the Elex. I have a ZMF Auteur as well, and while that’s a step up from the Elex, I’d rate their resolution/clarity about equal. Also I’m listening with an R2R dac, which traditionally has a more ‘relaxed’ sound than something like your RME, and I’m definitely not craving any more detail. Could be that you just prefer a different sound signature.

Elex has some additional driver dampening in addition the Clear pads from the Elear. Everyone always forgets the driver dampening but this has been mentioned from day 1. You have something between the Elear and Elex.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,222 of 2,030
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,225 of 2,030
In the comments, metal571 mentioned that he was using the D50 > THX 789 > Elex. I don’t know much about the D50, but I do know the Elex is very quick to pick up on any upstream eccentricities in one’s chain. The combo of the D50 and the THX 789 might be too much of a type of thing for the Elex.Then again, I do agree that the Elex sounds a bit metallic. It IS basically an aluminum dynamic driver, after all.

Edited to remove off topic words.

I have a D50 that replaced a Schiit Modi 2U. IMHO the D50 is slightly softer sounding, but it could be entirely in my head. My tube amp makes the top sound a little bit smoother as well, but even so my Elex with stock pads does sound slightly metallic compared to my Aeons. With the Dekoni FSN pads, it loses the metallic quality, so if it’s annoying, it is fixable.

I also think the Dekonis add some detail too, so it could be the drop between 1Khz and 6Khz is costing some sonic information that the Dekonis put back.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,226 of 2,030
Ah, I had presumed that damping might be used to compensate for other perceived issues with the sound, like a treble peak as an example, at the cost of marginal clarity reduction.

Beats me, then.

Sometimes a little treble boast can give the impression of hearing more detail but it was always waiting to show up in the recording. Damping should not decrease clarity but can change your perception. Focal have methods to apply damping like TMD Tuned Mass Damper used in their speaker line.
https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach/tmd-tuned-mass-damper

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,227 of 2,030
Maybe a better word would be accuracy. It's like if I told you a story with a lot of details, but many of those details were not quite true to life. The Elex has a lot of detail but a lot of it doesn't sound as accurate as I was expecting. I think it is quite possible these are not being built to spec anymore, because these HP's are surely killing the sales of the Clear and Elear. I guess this is the reason I am almost curios to try a pair of Clear while I still have the Elex. Either that or just sell them and get some HD800's..........Ugggh!!!
Ah, that makes more sense. I agree wholeheartedly that the Auteur is far more accurate than the Elex/Elear/whatever it is that I’m using. The tones, timbre and overall cohesion of the Auteur (especially my somewhat unique Wenge hardwood version) is better than any other headphone I’ve heard to date. The Elex has a slight metallic sheen on some tracks (being a metallic driver), but is otherwise fairly neutral and highly dynamic (more so than most headphones I’ve heard).

I’ve never heard the DT1990, but from reviews I believe it has more treble energy than the Elex (not surprising for a Beyer - the DT990 is almost unlistenably bright), which could add to the ‘perceived’ detail of that headphone. Also being a Beyer studio monitor it’s also probably more ‘accurate’ than the fun and lively Elex. Again just speculation on my part, having not heard it myself.

One thing I’ve learned on this journey is that detail isn’t everything. It’s important, sure, which is one reason I always listen balanced, and upgraded to a more transparent and detailed amp/dac in the Audio-gd R-28. But being a subjectivist at heart and enjoying music for the emotional connection and ‘musicality’ rather than technical accuracy and measurements, I’ve almost stopped paying attention to differences between different headphones and sources and started just listening for the joy of it.

I guess you could say my gear journey is done, and I’m just sitting around the fire (or lounge as it were) and taking it all in. Still great fun reading and (occasionally) responding or helping out on these forums. Once this hobby is in your blood it never quite leaves you :)

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #1,228 of 2,030
Elex has some additional driver dampening in addition the Clear pads from the Elear. Everyone always forgets the driver dampening but this has been mentioned from day 1. You have something between the Elear and Elex.
I know about the so-called dampening, which is why I’m cautious about calling my headphone an ‘Elex’ in the true sense of the word. I know for sure it ‘clips’ at much higher volumes than the shipping Elex, for example, although you’d think dampening would ‘fix’ that in the Elex? Also the Elex pads aren’t exactly the same as the Clear pads, just for the record (different material).

All that said, every review I’ve read that measures and compares the Elex with the Elear and Elex/Clear pads finds them virtually identical, and impossible to pick out in a blind test. So for all intents and purposes, it’s an Elex. The Elear pads are probably the single most defective audio ‘part’ I’ve used to date :p

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,229 of 2,030
Spent a lot of time A-Bing my Elex against an Aeon Flow Closed (a Very detailed set of cans). The Elex is definitely not as detailed, but it sometimes sounds more detailed because it is so dynamic that you hear more background (room reflections, audience, etc). I’ve come to the conclusion that detail isn’t everything and depending on what I’m listening to, sometimes dynamics are more important.

To me, that is the definition of detail. It's being able to pick up room tone, or any acoustical reflections or natural reverb picked up by the mics. In addition to stuff like accurately rendered rapidly repeating drum hits or fast moving bass lines. Though I'll be totally honest, the only headphone I think could probably top the Elex is a pair of Mr Speakers closed-back planars, like the AFC or Ether CX. That you might recommend them so highly has not done a thing to lessen my GAS. Haha.

I've been doing a lot of listening to my DAP through my IEM recently, so I haven't had my R2R-1 on as much. It's always surprising how easily the Elex picks up on the DAC's thinner sound when first turned on, and how much more "right" it sounds after warming up. I just left the DAC on for a few hours and ran through a bunch of not-particularly-warm-recordings like The Clash's London Calling, The Smiths self-titled debut, or Tom Petty's Into the Great Wide Open, (or even a rando 128 kbps mp3 of "Party All the Time", with all those nasty compression artifacts,) and all sound pretty darn smooth. There's a hint of metallic sheen in the cymbals or guitar string scrapes (which are both made of metal, so duh) but its not bright, or harsh, and doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all. However, when it's first switched on, the sound coming from the Elex is... not that, and not that good.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,230 of 2,030
To me, that is the definition of detail. It's being able to pick up room tone, or any acoustical reflections or natural reverb picked up by the mics. In addition to stuff like accurately rendered rapidly repeating drum hits or fast moving bass lines. Though I'll be totally honest, the only headphone I think could probably top the Elex is a pair of Mr Speakers closed-back planars, like the AFC or Ether CX. That you might recommend them so highly has not done a thing to lessen my GAS. Haha.

I've been doing a lot of listening to my DAP through my IEM recently, so I haven't had my R2R-1 on as much. It's always surprising how easily the Elex picks up on the DAC's thinner sound when first turned on, and how much more "right" it sounds after warming up. I just left the DAC on for a few hours and ran through a bunch of not-particularly-warm-recordings like The Clash's London Calling, The Smiths self-titled debut, or Tom Petty's Into the Great Wide Open, (or even a rando 128 kbps mp3 of "Party All the Time", with all those nasty compression artifacts,) and all sound pretty darn smooth. There's a hint of metallic sheen in the cymbals or guitar string scrapes (which are both made of metal, so duh) but its not bright, or harsh, and doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all. However, when it's first switched on, the sound coming from the Elex is... not that, and not that good.
[OT] My R-28 is on permanently for exactly that reason (as recommended by Kingwa). [/OT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back