Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,276 of 2,030
Make sure if you go OTL that the output resistance is less than 8 ohms or you’re going to get a boost in bass around 50 hz. This may be desirable, but just be aware.
I’ll definitely keep this in mind, thanks! Eventually I’d like both a SS and OTL to play around with. Since I have the LCX coming, I’ll probably stick with that for now and add on an OTL later.

I think the Elex sounds great with Audio-gd gear, especially their R2R DACs. So, the R2R-11 (which only has a single-ended amp) would be a solid combo pick on which to build a balanced amp offshoot chain. The R-28, which is entirely balanced, is my endgame combo that I'm saving up for.
I’d definitely love to have an Audio-gd R2R eventually in my arsenal. Also tucking away this suggestion for when more funds open up later :)

Oh hell yeah, sub $20 balanced cables? Yes please. Thank you!

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,278 of 2,030
Soundstage not even close to the HD700. Can probably find a used 800 for close to the price of a new Elex.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,279 of 2,030
The Elex is no slouch in soundstage, yet it it's not it's defining trait because its dynamic and details somehow make it less perceivable. @robo24 is spot on. The Elex and the HD700/800 are completely different headphones which give you different experiences

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,282 of 2,030
So then which headphones are similar to the HD800 for under 700$
The HD 700 is close and can be found for around $400 new, and less new. Getting off topic.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,283 of 2,030
Soundstage not even close to the HD700. Can probably find a used 800 for close to the price of a new Elex.
This just shows how subjective this hobby is. My most used headphones are the HD 700 and the Elex. Prior to getting the Elex I had generally read that it had a pretty narrow sound stage. No, it doesn't match the HD 700, but I was pleasantly surprised that its soundstage (to me at least) was reasonably wide. Certainly far wider than the 6XX (but TBH, I have IEMs that are wider than the 6XX, a main reason I am not a huge 650/6XX fan, though I love the midrange on the right material).

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,284 of 2,030
Anyone using the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads who can say if their pads have softened over time? Just got a barely used pair and definitely feels notably stiffer than the stock pads. But I love the sheepskin over the cloth. Any experiences welcome!

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,285 of 2,030
Anyone using the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads who can say if their pads have softened over time? Just got a barely used pair and definitely feels notably stiffer than the stock pads. But I love the sheepskin over the cloth. Any experiences welcome!

Interesting. I have the same question too. The Dekoni pads seem to have a bit of a stiffer memory foam along with a bit of thicker leather than the Focal Utopia pads, which felt like butter to me. I know there are ways to soften leather (e.g. Olive Oil, etc.) but due to the holes (fenestrated) I'm a bit leery of getting the memory foam all junked up too.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,286 of 2,030

I’ve had a pair since I guess January. The leather has softened but the foam remains stiffer than stock. That said, I find them very comfortable. With the stock pads my ears would touch the perforated grille. Doesn’t happen with the Dekonis.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,288 of 2,030
I'm looking for a side grade for the Elex, this should have a softer and less fatiguing sound, or some pads that soften the sound would be another option, my budget is 1000 usd or less, any recommendation?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,289 of 2,030
I'm looking for a side grade for the Elex, this should have a softer and less fatiguing sound, or some pads that soften the sound would be another option, my budget is 1000 usd or less, any recommendation?
I don’t have a lot of headphones to compare (well, compared to all the available offerings anyway)... I would say the HFM Sundara is my Elex alter ego headphone in that price range... also the MD x MrSpeakers Ether CX (though obviously closed).

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,290 of 2,030
I’ve never heard this model specifically, but would the Audeze LCD2-Classic work? It’s got a warmer implementation of Audeze’s house sound, which is fairly non-fatiguing. That’s where I’d start looking. Otherwise, there are offerings from Mr Speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back