Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 15, 2017.
First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Page 26 of 72
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Next

Last
  1. SpeakUp
    Plainly a US vacation is called for

cardeli22 likes this.
  2. gardibolt
    Same here. I have the Elear, and can't justify a slightly better Elear. The Clear I could see as a big enough improvement to go for it. The timing certainly hurt too; had they gone through this week with the drop to get a payday in past Christmas they probably could have sold a few more Elex.

cardeli22 likes this.
  3. Currawong Contributor
    More than likely, the outer box(es) cost more than the cable, especially with the added shipping weight, so I don't think that's it.

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with their community members and the number of balanced amps they sell. I'm sure if they didn't include a 4-pin XLR cable, different people would complain. Also, given that they are open-backed headphones, portable amps aren't really a consideration.

Nobody owns a pair yet. They handed out pairs to reviewers so that people could get an idea how they sound first before buying them (or not).

cardeli22 likes this.
  4. mtoc
    elex voice coil ccaw but size same as Clear? (25.5mm/4.4mm)

5. raven0us
    I agree, massdrop for Canadians doesnt really make much sense. After everything is said and done you're almost paying full price anyway, except with a 4 month wait? No thanks. The elex are intriguing though, I would like to get my hands on a pair when they are released. Maybe pick up a used pair in the summer.

cardeli22 likes this.
  6. alonwa
    Drop reopens. 250 units. $699.99. US, Canada, Australia, and Taiwan only. Shipping Apr 30. 15 days till drop closes again.

cardeli22 likes this.
  7. jim723
    Tempting

8. raven0us
    So very tempting.

9. Humblepie
    Well just joined the Elex drop for $699.

10. PopZeus
    Hearing how well the Clear stands up to other open-back cans in the $600-800 price range (like the Aeon Open Flow & LCD-2 Classic) has me glad I could grab an Elex for around that price.

11. tienbasse
    Obviously Europe is out, thank you Focal for shipping these fo free to the other side of the world, but not to Europe (I live 150km from Focal facilities in France).

You obviously wouldn't want to make Europe a remotely competitive market, we have to pay every of the 999 Euros any day of the year for Elear, without the slightest rebate, even during sales periods and Black Friday. Free market is a dream, distribution agreements with no rebate policies are real...

cardeli22 and stenog like this.
  12. luckybaer
    Massdrop has to abide by the conditions set forth by their vendor partners. Massdrop doesn’t want to run afoul of them and end up having the relationship terminate. Maybe one day the rules will change, but right now, they are what they are.

13. stenog
    Massdrop is not to blame here, Focal are. It's exactly as tienbasse wrote.

cardeli22 likes this.
  14. silverbox
    He/She is blaming Focal not Massdrop

15. luckybaer
    Why do you suppose Focal set up such stringent conditions? Is this a French thing, and EU thing, or purely something tied to the agreements Focal has with distributors?

First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Page 26 of 72
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Next

Last