Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 15, 2017.
First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Page 25 of 72
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last
  1. Elyfantman
    And of there wasn't a four month wait . . .

cardeli22 and obsidyen like this.
  2. obsidyen
    Yes, shipping in early February would be another plus.

cardeli22 likes this.
  3. cardeli22
    AT that price, shipped from France I would even drive to France from Germany to pick it up. I think adding the balanced cable also needlessly added to the cost. The disparity of people who use balanced (because they believe in the benefits) vs those who don't or don't even have a balanced amp, is huge. The cable probably kept the price higher than it should have been. It should have been an extra add on. I'm still wondering how the dealers for the countries they do ship to are "okay with the Elex" but the EU or other parts of the world not being shipped to on this drop said no. I don't imagine they reached out to every dealer in every country on the planet. Maybe better protection laws for dealers in EU vs say the USA.

obsidyen likes this.
  4. cardeli22
    They could have made 100-200 before the drop and have those ship in January and the rest of the other orders ship in April. I understand hand made means it will take time to fulfill orders but it looks like the only headphones made before the drop were for the reviewers.

obsidyen likes this.
  5. obsidyen
    I agree that balanced cables are unnecessary for most people. For instance, balanced output have double the power of single output in some amps (e.g. 0.5 w vs 1 w) but a well made amp can offer this power on single output as well (e.g. iDSD Micro BL which outputs 4W on single ended). I think other supposed benefits are unnecessary. A well made amp with a good single ended output such as Chord Hugo 2 will sound far better than the balanced output of a mediocre amp such as Schiit Jotunheim. Thus, balanced cable is totally unnecessary. I guess they had surplus in their stock. I would much prefer a 1.5m 3.5mm cable to be used with portable amps.

They could have just called it Massdrop Elex instead of Focal Elex and voila, any distributor problem is solved. Distributors cannot stop Focal from producing for Massdrop. Moreover, I do not think Sennheiser and Fostex had problems with their distributors in Europe just because they sold HD6XX and TH-X00 on Massdrop. Why should Focal have problems? Unless they have terrible lawyers which signed contracts that have distributors major control over Focal's distribution model. I do not buy this excuse.

In short

+ $599 price
    + Direct shipment from Focal in France to European countries
    + The option to choose 1.5m 3.5mm cable instead of balanced cable
    + Extra set of Elear pads

They could sell the remaining 700 units in less than a week.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    DaemonSire and cardeli22 like this.
  6. cardeli22
    I don't know about Fostex, but the reason why Sennheiser was able to do the HD6XX (as per the comments in Massdrop Elex thread), is because they have an online shop presence. You can buy Sennheiser products online but you can't from Focal...again because of the distribution deal in Place in "those locations" where they are not shipping to. Hopefully another drop will be made with Focal and (fingers crossed) they try re-badging the headphones as Massdrop. It may be the loophole needed.

obsidyen likes this.
  7. obsidyen
    Yes, Massdrop Elex with no mention of Focal. Problem solved.

cardeli22 likes this.
  8. Elyfantman
    I wonder if they will ever sell the Elex outside of Massdrop.

9. SpeakUp
    For all those who own these headphones and love them, good enough. Otherwise I am astounded by how many who have no idea how these actually sound have a spare $700 to throw at something they may not actually enjoy listening to.

Nickapalooza86 likes this.
  10. LoryWiv
    With my gear (iFi iCan Pro) I enjoy the balanced output more and it is a win to have a balanced cable included...but agree with you that the buyer could be offered choice to keep costs down.

cardeli22 likes this.
  11. cardeli22
    Without derailing this thread too much, how do you like the ican pro? I have the micro BL and really like it.

12. LoryWiv
    It's power, musicality and versatility (SS, 2 tube modes, bass boost, 3D holographic all are well-implemented) is amazing and I am enjoying it very much. I had and liked an original silver micro for several years but iCan Pro is clearly next level great. See the dedicated thread here for more information.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    cardeli22 likes this.
  13. cardeli22
    I have tried to psych me out of the ican pro but reading this and the dedicated thread may push me over. Curse you. LOL :darthsmile:

14. DaemonSire
    If they want incentive for Canadians, ditch DHL and cover customs charges. The free shipping is nice but the $150+ extra for the fees+customs kills it for me.

cardeli22 and obsidyen like this.
  15. DW75
    Agreed, many Americans have no idea how bad we get screwed over here in Canada. For instance, the HD6XX ends up costing over 300 in Canada after currency conversion, duty, and taxes. The Focal Elex here would end up costing 1100 Canadian. The Elear costs 1500 plus tax here !!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Focal-Elear-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B01H2NDPGI/

It is only 800 in the US. That is just highway robbery to be charging us that much more.

https://www.amazon.com/Focal-3544055725015-Elear-Headphones/dp/B01H2NDPGI/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Page 25 of 72
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last