Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Jun 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,112 of 1,441
Jun 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,114 of 1,441
Wondering if someone can help. I used my CTH for the first time in several months today. When turning the volume pot I got the scratchy noise in the left ear that others seems to have. I have never had this issue before (have had this one for about 7 months replacing my first unit which was defective). A couple of questions:

1. What would cause the onset of the issue after over a 6 months of owning the unit.
2. Is there an easy fix?
3. Is this an issue that can damage the unit further if not fixed? It is annoying, but the sound out of the CTH is still great.

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,115 of 1,441
Hey alterndog,
Did anything in your chain change? Especially the DAC in the chain?
The CTH shares the ground with the source. If anything changes there, could change the ground and if you touch the pot that could make a noise.
(If you don't have any source plugged into the CTH, that could definitely cause it.)

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #1,116 of 1,441
My cth intermittently will have the scratchy issue only when turning the volume up or down while listening. It's been that way since the beginning using a modi multibit. It doesn't bother me at all because it only happens like I explained. Never happens as long as I'm not adjusting the volume.

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,117 of 1,441
My cth intermittently will have the scratchy issue only when turning the volume up or down while listening. It's been that way since the beginning using a modi multibit. It doesn't bother me at all because it only happens like I explained. Never happens as long as I'm not adjusting the volume.
Same. I generally get a slight scratchy sound in the right channel when changing volume, but never otherwise. I'm currently using the CTH in my TV/Blu-ray setup with a Modi Multibit (fed by the TV's optical out and the Blu-ray's coaxial) and usually a Sennheiser HD700 (and on rare occasions a Focal Elex; this use is reversed for music listening). Even though I probably have a small touch of OCD and can be greatly annoyed by relatively small things, this is so minimal that it never really bothered me much and I never even considered returning it (especially since it seems a new unit would more likely than not have the same issue).

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #1,118 of 1,441
Sounds like bad tubes to me, as in maybe slightly microphonic, which is picked up by slight vibrations, from turning volume pot. Just had a similar issue, with my BHC, and I changed the driver tube, and the scratching sound while turning volume pot, is gone. If you can live with it, no worries, but I just could not.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,119 of 1,441
Scratchy sound when adjusting volume existed on quite many units in the past due to faulty potentiometer which normally was replaced under the original Massdrop non-transferable warranty. As I recall, some people were attemptingg to fix this issue by using an industrial contact cleaner spray, but the fact the potentiometer was sealed, made it not too effective. Actually, some of those faulty units were sold with substantial discounts by 3rd party distributors with no warranty. If any new edition of the amp would have again the scratchy potentiometers that would be really bad for Massdrop's quality reputation.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,120 of 1,441
I used a socket saver from tubemonger myself. With the 6c8g , some folks experienced hum for some reason. Me personally never have.
As far as the tubes themselves , the Tung-sol was my preferred tube with the National Union and Ken-rad tied for second.
Definitely look into an external power supply as well and you won't need another amp unless you buy a Hifiman HE6 lol.
Cheers!

One more question, is one socket saver enough. The one I'm buying is 20mm without pins. I tried to measure and I think it'll be fine. The picture is the actual tubes and the socket saver I'm about to buy.

KEN-RAD, RCA 6C8G~2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,125 of 1,441
I tried a couple of different ones but was unsure about good pin contact and/or 2 units 'in series', I pulled the case apart and carefully cut the larger hole - the guard comes apart so just drilled the 3 holes and bolted it on - I only got the larger one for the 6c8g as the smaller 9 pin tubes fits inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back