Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 14, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,096 of 1,442
Went back to using this amp since I’ve been solely using the LP for a while now. And daaaang, it’s real close! I think tonally and soundstage they are pretty much the same. I can only tell a minor difference in imaging and depth from close A/B ing.

However, I noticed just like the ZX300 vs WM1A, it’s these minute differences that keep me engaged in the music longer and more enjoyably (and making me spend way more than I should be).

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,097 of 1,442
Went back to using this amp since I’ve been solely using the LP for a while now. And daaaang, it’s real close! I think tonally and soundstage they are pretty much the same. I can only tell a minor difference in imaging and depth from close A/B ing.

However, I noticed just like the ZX300 vs WM1A, it’s these minute differences that keep me engaged in the music longer and more enjoyably (and making me spend way more than I should be).

What headphones are you using for the comparison? Would you recommend the LP given your impression/comparison of the MCTH?

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,098 of 1,442

Cool rig you got there! Reminds me of mine. :o2smile: When you move up the ladder, the differences are small, but worth every penny.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,099 of 1,442
What headphones are you using for the comparison? Would you recommend the LP given your impression/comparison of the MCTH?

Used the HD800S and Aeolus.
As for recommendation, it really depends on many factors. I have a really favorable opinion of the CTH and simply couldn’t pass up on getting a ‘Papa CTH’, but you might want something else. What are you looking for?

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,100 of 1,442
Used the HD800S and Aeolus.
As for recommendation, it really depends on many factors. I have a really favorable opinion of the CTH and simply couldn’t pass up on getting a ‘Papa CTH’, but you might want something else. What are you looking for?

I heard the CTH, it is impressive. Been eyeballing the Liquid Platinum. I think I'm more interested in a hybrid amp over OTL as i prefer the versatility and the only high impedance headphones i have are the HD6XX and a DT990-600 which isn't used for music but rather TV duty sure to its large soundstage and V-shaped signature. I need to update my profile but my latest cans are the HEX V2, 400i, THX00, Nighthawks, Audeze EL8 Ti, and perhaps an Aeolus i may demo soon. Mainly interested in synergy with HEX V2 and for tube flavor but maybe not full tube flavor. I still prefer a bit more detail, yet a musical signature over full tube euphoria. Or perhaps, I haven't given OTLs a fair break. Main amps now are the THX AAA 789, Liquid Carbon X, and my DAC/AMP Grace m9XX. A quick snapshot.

So is the papa CTH worth the extra investment over the CTH? The allure of the LP is the extra overhead power to get the most out of cans! Unless i go full OTL which really IMO requires different cans, i can see the LP being an end game Hybrid.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,101 of 1,442
I only heard the HEXv2 a few times, so I can’t say much about it. If I remember correctly it has a similar sorta thin sound like the HD800/S so tube hybrid could be a good idea.

I’ve had a chance to try OTLs like AmpandSound, Woo, and Cayiin, and my take is that they are very good at filling a very large portion of the headstage. However, good SS amps like 789 and Gilmore Lite have better upfront detail and sub-bass extension than the best of the OTLs I’ve tried.
The MJ2 and LP being hybrids I definitely do feel strike a good balance between the two. Still I remember the 789 having more perceived detail (very crisp) than the LP, but lacks any of that tubey holographicness and decay.

TL;DR My honest opinion would be to upgrade the DAC before the amp in this case. Admittedly I’ve never heard the 9xx, but I really think +$800 into purchasing like Soekris, RME, Schiit, Chord, Metrum, or Mytek would upgrade/change the sound to a larger degree. Thinking of Dac/Amp synergies is another pain in the a$$ tho.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,103 of 1,442
Can anyone recommend a replacement tube for this amplifier. I'm looking for a more open and airy sound and I actually wouldn't mind finding I decent warmer tube for my final audio Pandora VI as well. Thanks in advance

Jun 10, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,442
Can anyone recommend a replacement tube for this amplifier. I'm looking for a more open and airy sound and I actually wouldn't mind finding I decent warmer tube for my final audio Pandora VI as well. Thanks in advance

I bought an amperex PQ orange globe which was much warmer and more 'tubey' than the Electro Harmonix. It is definitely not open and airy sounding, but it cured the sibilant nature of the Focal Elex, one of the most delightful pairings I've ever heard.

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,105 of 1,442
Open and airy would be a Telefunken e88cc or e188cc. Either tube should have a diamond on the bottom. The e188cc is pricier due to tighter specs, and does blow away the e88cc in SQ.
Warm you can search for a Mullard/Brimar cv2492. Code should read KB/AD (Rochester plant).
Cheers!

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,106 of 1,442
I just ordered a 6C8G to 6922 adapter for my CTH and next up is tubes.

Anyone tried any of these 6C8G tubes, Purotron, Ken-Rad, National Union, Mullard (RCA), RCA VT-163? I was of course looking for Tung Sol but my tube guy only had above listed NOS tubes.

Drill a bigger hole or use socket savers?

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,107 of 1,442
Cut a bigger hole on top so the top of the adapter socket is nearly at the top of the case and the 6c8g valve sits proud above that - a tube guard is recommended as the 6c8g is a tall tube.
I tried the Kenrad version of the 6c8g but prefer the TungSol as it has a much clearer sound - the linear power supply might need some attention here too as it directly effects the overall sound - I've used the 1,000uF Nichicon KZ in // with a Nichicon 470uF BP as the output cap on the S11 linear power supply (28v @360mA)

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,108 of 1,442
I used a socket saver from tubemonger myself. With the 6c8g , some folks experienced hum for some reason. Me personally never have.
As far as the tubes themselves , the Tung-sol was my preferred tube with the National Union and Ken-rad tied for second.
Definitely look into an external power supply as well and you won't need another amp unless you buy a Hifiman HE6 lol.
Cheers!
I just ordered a 6C8G to 6922 adapter for my CTH and next up is tubes.

Anyone tried any of these 6C8G tubes, Purotron, Ken-Rad, National Union, Mullard (RCA), RCA VT-163? I was of course looking for Tung Sol but my tube guy only had above listed NOS tubes.

Drill a bigger hole or use socket savers?

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #1,109 of 1,442
Cut a bigger hole on top so the top of the adapter socket is nearly at the top of the case and the 6c8g valve sits proud above that - a tube guard is recommended as the 6c8g is a tall tube.
I tried the Kenrad version of the 6c8g but prefer the TungSol as it has a much clearer sound - the linear power supply might need some attention here too as it directly effects the overall sound - I've used the 1,000uF Nichicon KZ in // with a Nichicon 470uF BP as the output cap on the S11 linear power supply (28v @360mA)

Thank you! Do I need a LPS if I'm going to use 6C8G tubes? I'll probably buy one in the near future but wanted to try the new tube first.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,110 of 1,442
I used a socket saver from tubemonger myself. With the 6c8g , some folks experienced hum for some reason. Me personally never have.
As far as the tubes themselves , the Tung-sol was my preferred tube with the National Union and Ken-rad tied for second.
Definitely look into an external power supply as well and you won't need another amp unless you buy a Hifiman HE6 lol.
Cheers!

Thanks! What about the LPS on eBay? Good choice?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113270854202

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back