Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Feb 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #288 of 520
Inner-fidelity has a comparison of the different variations of the Fostex drivers here. I have seen plenty of different comparisons, with the Ebony usually being a favorite of all the different models. Jude has a great review on head-fi here. 

There is plenty of info on the web, as the TH-X00 really was a huge deal when it first released, and the Purpleheart and Ebony models that followed were reviewed with a lot of excitement when they came out. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #289 of 520
Thanks for sharing. I saw the inner review but was confused by the chart, which seems to tell a different story from the review. In addition, some said th610 was smoother than x00; while others said the other way among the reviews available online.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #291 of 520
It may be relevant here, too. The TX00Eb is an insanely good value.
Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/810889/denon-ah-7200/720#post_13360138 

I have shortly auditioned a brand new, not yet broken in D7200, compared to my modded TH900 (Lawton pad + carbon foam insert) and modded TX00 Ebony (Dekoni pads + carbon foam insert). I took a HE1000 as reference for the midrange. Also, I listened to the Sony Z7 and Z1R vs the TH900 and TX00Eb and took the HD800 and Utopia for midrange reference.

Short impressions:
- good construction, beautiful wood finish. The headband is less comfortable than the Fostex one, but seems more solid.
- the TH900 is brighter than the D7200 around 7-9kHz. It has much bigger sound stage, and lower bass rumble, more relaxed sound, and it's much louder. Vocals are more forward with the D7200, but sometimes too much.
- the TX00EB is brighter than the D7200 around 9-10 kHz, has more bass, wider sound stage, more relaxed sound, but at all of this, less than the TH900.
- the TH900 is the loudest and most dynamic, than the TX00Eb is louder than the D7200 but perhaps a bit softer in dynamics.

So what's the deal with the D7200? It's a reference quality closed headphone, with quite linear FR. It's less fun than the TH900 and the TX00Eb, but it's more balanced, and has not been modded yet.
And I think that's where the deal is for me: IMHO the D7200 could be a class better headphone, with a better pad. I am 100% sure I can make the D7200 sound much better. Using memory foam in the pads proved to be a mistake in every single headphone I've heard. It's a disgrace to these headphones. Also, I am pretty sure this Denon would make the most out of the Lawton cups.

I am not sure if the Eikons are worth the extra price over the D7200, perhaps yes, but I'd say the D7200 is a very good deal. The TX00Eb is probably even better deal, but that's still a more fun headphone, whereas the D7200 is closer to the HD800 and HE1000 tonality.

Reasons to get the D7200:
- You have a reference quality open headphone, such as the Utopia, Stax 009 or 007, and you need closed headphones as well, but the colored sound of the TH900 bothers you too much in comparison with your references. Then get the D7200 and mod the pads (see the TH900 mods thread), or wait until Lawton comes up with cups and mods for them. In stock form, I'd prefer the TX00Eb, it's more linear than the TH900 and sounds more fun than the D7200.

Reasons to get the TX00Eb:
- You don't mind a good bit of fun, but not at the TH900 level, since you'd prefer a more linear headphone. Also, you want more bass than the D7200, or simply you want the best value out there. Of course, you need to get Lawton or Dekoni pads, and put carbon foam insert in them, but it's totally doable, total cost between 100-150 euros.

Reasons to get the TH900:
- You are an EDM guy, a basshead, or action move addict. You love it sound big and explosive, with the strongest, resonant, relaxed, clean, deep bass rumble out there (at the moment). You don't mind if it's not linear.

Reasons to get the Z7:
- None, get the TX00Eb instead.

Reasons to get the Z1R:
- You have money to burn, or you've already used the amazon.co.uk loophole and ordered from overseas with VAT off. You want more linear headphones than the TH900, more midbass than either the D7200 or TH900, nicer midrange than TH900, less treble, similar sound stage. It still sounds muddy in the bass compared to the modded TH900, but it can be modded as well. Despite the muddy bass, I'd pick the Z1R over the majority of current headphones - except my modded TH900.

From memory, Z1R vs D7200 would be a hard choice. I'd need to know how they would sound after mods. Nevertheless, I'd lean towards the D7200, for its midrange, better linearity, and modding potential. In stock form, if I wasn't allowed to mod them, the Z1R would likely be a safer choice. The Z1R pads are less of a disgrace than the D7200 pads.

So here is my plan. I am pondering on selling my TX00Eb and get a D7200 instead, then I will know how much improvements I can make for them. I will keep the TH900, and I will probably stay away from the Z1R until I can get one at a good price. But it stays on my radar.

The race for the most linear bio-cellulose drivers is mainly between the D7200 and the ZMF Eikon (R10 doesn't count). I am not planning to get the Eikons at the moment, eventually later, second hand. However, based on the measurements I've seen, Zach made more optimized wooden cups, and better pads than Denon. But the price is also double, and it's not closed (I want measurements on how much is it leaking) -- I definitely need closed headphones. The TH900 leaking is OK for me (listening at low to moderate volumes).

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #292 of 520
Mine arrived from last drop on massdrop this morning. My expectation for TH-X00 EB is for fun, smooth , musical and engaging sound when i want to get away from HD600,650 or 700 that i owned.

My first impression was like, Elevated low but with VERY clear definiition and resolution,while mid ,comparing to bass,is just abit behind, and treble is playing behind both mid and low,but has some lower-end treble bump that translated into a nice bite. Cymbal, crash or vocal sibilance are all being played out nicely,without sounding harsh at all.
TH-X00 EB turned bad live recording into enjoyment.

Even though,IEM and closed-back aren't comparable,but i think TH-X00 EB sounds like sony xba-z5 in tonal balance.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #293 of 520
  Mine arrived from last drop on massdrop this morning. My expectation for TH-X00 EB is for fun, smooth , musical and engaging sound when i want to get away from HD600,650 or 700 that i owned.

My first impression was like, Elevated low but with VERY clear definiition and resolution,while mid ,comparing to bass,is just abit behind, and treble is playing behind both mid and low,but has some lower-end treble bump that translated into a nice bite. Cymbal, crash or vocal sibilance are all being played out nicely,without sounding harsh at all.
TH-X00 EB turned bad live recording into enjoyment.

Even though,IEM and closed-back aren't comparable,but i think TH-X00 EB sounds like sony xba-z5 in tonal balance.

Interesting observations, I'd say the purpleheart ones has the massive ass of the Z5, but I see what you're saying. If you're after less bass, get those Dekoni memory foam earpads without the plastic ring and you'll be great.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #294 of 520
Interesting observations, I'd say the purpleheart ones has the massive ass of the Z5, but I see what you're saying. If you're after less bass, get those Dekoni memory foam earpads without the plastic ring and you'll be great.

Yeah.just ordered one from massdrop. EB might very well become my daily phone at this point. Love it

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #296 of 520
  Where do I go to see the sound frequency charts for headphones? I am trying to compare the Massdrop Ebony to the TH-610 that I own.

The forum I can't mention, the drop page itself, and the original TH-X00 thread.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #297 of 520
Have had my X00 EBs for a while now, and I love the tonality. I'd say these were perfect for my tastes, if with just a touch MOAR bass than preferred. My only real complaint is the small 11kHz bump. It really brings out the sibilance on some tracks, enough to make me wince a bit. I'm hoping it'll mellow out sooner or later. DSP is an option, if one I'd rather not resort to for a variety of reasons.

Actually, while I'm at it, random impressions:

Good bass thump, but doesn't really overpower the rest of the spectrum. Mids are the tiniest bit recessed (more u-shaped than v-), but this actually adds to the headstage a bit. I agree that it pushes vocals and the like a bit towards the back of the recording, kudos to whomever said that. Good midrange. Slight 3kHz dip that's barely audible to me (could be measurement-induced placebo)  Treble is polite for the most part, but by no means underrepresented except for that one little spike at 11kHz, as mentioned earlier; this is coming from someone who loves the Beyer DT880 and Grado RS1 (pre-i), mind.

Decay is better than expected, though I'll be the first to admit these aren't the fastest cans ever. They never really sound muddled though. Due to the venting around the cups, there is a bit of leakage, but I don't usually listen to music at loud levels, so I never get complaints when I truck these cans to grad school, and I've yet to wake my roommate, a light sleeper, up when I'm listening to music at 4AM in the morning. Super accurate scientific measurement by installing a SPL meter app on my phone and sandwiching the general mic area between the cups says 72dB, but I'm sure that's off. Isolation is also pretty bad, so you can sort of hear what goes on around you, but I actually like that.

The cable is bulky as fajitas. I'm gonna have a local audio shop mod these to sport 2.5mm jacks in place of the fixed cable and pick up a nice slim braided one.

I'm going to be comparing these to the TH-610s some time soon. Have heard them before, but I have a vague impression left of them at best. I sort of recall the 610s having a larger soundstage but less present mids.

Cheers,

Kevin

The forum I can't mention, the drop page itself, and the original TH-X00 thread.

Graphs on the drop page are mirrored from here IIRC, and differ from those on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named (hope I'm right in guessing which one that is, hah). Sort of inclined to go with those on TFTSNBN since they're pretty close to what I hear.

P.S.
Sole sources for now are out of my laptop (ouch, I know), my mobile (yeah, yeah), and an Onkyo DP-X1. I have a Micro iDSD that's currently out for repairs. Hoping the Bit Perfect setting on it might help tame the offensive lower-upper range somewhat.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #299 of 520
  Try this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Fostex_Variants_Measurements.pdf

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00-ebony-headphones

Sort of relevant to this: the measurements on InnerFidelity are only of the original Mahogany X00s, right? Having said that, there are two files labeled "X00" there, one under Massdrop's name and another under Fostex. The results on these charts are quite obviously different, so one wonders whether there was a pre-production unit tossed in there or there's just a lot of variance in  quality.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #300 of 520

Sort of relevant to this: the measurements on InnerFidelity are only of the original Mahogany X00s, right? Having said that, there are two files labeled "X00" there, one under Massdrop's name and another under Fostex. The results on these charts are quite obviously different, so one wonders whether there was a pre-production unit tossed in there or there's just a lot of variance in  quality.

Yes, Mahogany. That's why I added link to massdrop for ebony. They have graphs too.

My approach to graphs is to get general profile, not to seek precise representation. 

I'd read those - compare mahogany to TH-610 on innerfidelity graphs and then project difference b/w mahogany and ebony from massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back