Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #316 of 520
M100 vs teak
output.png

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #317 of 520
i also joined the drop...had senn 650s sold them due to that 'veil' (i know for each it's YMMV)
also sold sony z1r due to cost...so here is hoping for under 1K (i was considering Elear)
they punch above their weight: for rock, blues, jazz, classical...all sorts of music.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #318 of 520
Wow thanks. I am a noob, but does that mean the Teaks would have more Bass and Sub bass, while being more neutral up high?

What does that spike at 1000(units? Khz?) on the HE400 sound like on ears, is that distortion in the mids?

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #319 of 520
Basically, yeah.

While the he400 mids are more forward they are dirtier and more uneven and distorted.

Check out the thd

all.png

While some will say a thx00 or teak or what ever is a side grade brcause its midfi. But at a technical level, FR and from simply listening to them both it is a clear upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #320 of 520
I agree. The HE 400 is a weird headphone, but I love it for the price I paid. It's clean compared to lower end mid-fi, but dirty compared to more expensive goodies. It seems to be a rare sound signature for Open Headphones though, so Ill definitely keep it.

All this makes me want the TH-X00 or E MU Teaks, Although now I still have to decide which variant to get. Im Leaning towards the purplehearts, since they seem like the most fun, and I may pick up the teaks later on if they ever drop them again.

Is it safe to assume that if I like the V Modas, I will like the TH-X00s? Also which variant would you guys recommend if I'm looking for the most sparkley treble, since they all seem to have good bass?

Im going to test out some Audeze Sines this week, and see how they compare. Ive narrowed it down to these of the Fostex variants.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #321 of 520
I agree. The HE 400 is a weird headphone, but I love it for the price I paid. It's clean compared to lower end mid-fi, but dirty compared to more expensive goodies. It seems to be a rare sound signature for Open Headphones though, so Ill definitely keep it.

All this makes me want the TH-X00 or E MU Teaks, Although now I still have to decide which variant to get. Im Leaning towards the purplehearts, since they seem like the most fun, and I may pick up the teaks later on if they ever drop them again.

Is it safe to assume that if I like the V Modas, I will like the TH-X00s? Also which variant would you guys recommend if I'm looking for the most sparkley treble, since they all seem to have good bass?

Im going to test out some Audeze Sines this week, and see how they compare. Ive narrowed it down to these of the Fostex variants.

Thanks

Purple heart for sure. However a solid pick would also be a denon d5k th900 with thx00 pads

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #322 of 520
Out of all the Msssdrop variants, I'd get the Ebony. It had plenty of bass and treble for me and it was the most refined. I prefer the U shape of the Teaks though.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #326 of 520
Hi all, jumping in here to infuse an alternate recommendation. Rarely does a thread starter do such an about face, but life can be unpredictable.

Recently after demoing over 100 closedback headphones at a specialty headphone shop in Osaka, I've adorned the Focal Spirit Classic as my all-time favorite mid-tier closed headphone. Putting it directly up against well and lesser known rival closed cans from Shure, Sennheiser, Fostex, Beyerdynamic and many many more, demoing on a fairly decent DAP setup and comparing my top picks on higher caliber solid state rig, I was quite awestruck at how mightily these beasts compare to basically every other closedback out there.

The Focal Spirit Classic are a very neutral closed can with PRaT and tonality that are hard to fault, and a very robust bass and dynamics, good isolation and above all a very non-fatiguing sound. For my tastes this puts it quite a notch over all the TH X00 variants. At first I was drawn to the Ebony because of the highly detailed, resolving and realistic sound... fast forward a lengthy audition to a loner pair of all three X00's I came to notice these are all somewhat boosted in the bass to a greater or lesser extent, and that upper detail I heard, while great in its own right, seems quite hyper-analytical especially on the Ebony and somewhat on the Mahagony. OTOH, the Focal Spirit Classics are very proper, robust and a lot more neutral with more isolation and not fatiguing. You can read more on the Classics thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why...ssic-more-popular.753664/page-3#post-13687762

Though I would agree these are all somewhat V-shaped to a greater or lesser amount, interestingly the Ebonys also manage to get very liquid, lush and full mids at the same time. In fact all TH-X00s have build quality that far exceed the Focal Spirit Classic - solid wood and high quality metals, etc. vs. the plastic body of the Classics that (can) be prone to breaking. Even possibly they could be technically superior in some ways. But for my tastes at least, the Classics suit me much better - enough to finally satisfy my 10 year quest for the perfect closed headphone.

Someone also mentioned the Senn. HD 25-II, which was also one I compared the Classics to. I would say these are definitely a solid contender for portable listening, but are far underclassed by the control, frequency response and overall overall reproduction of the Classics. I also thought both the OPPO PM-3 and Beoplay H8 (IIRC) competed quite well with the HD-25-II. All sizes of the V-Moda M80 and M100 to me fell short of th former due to being fairly dark and non-detailed. but the closest match I found to the Classics were only the Senn. HD569, yet still falling short on bass control.

Not trying to completely dispel the Fostex variants, in which are superior in some ways such as build quality, and can be better depending on one's sound preference - I'm just a somewhat frank user wanting to give an alternative with a very underrated closed headphone. And in fact, the Focal Spirit Classics are recently discontinued so you just might be impressed with one of the used pairs floating around. They also scale quite well, and one owner who also has the open Focal Utopia still enjoys the flavor of the Classics.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #327 of 520
The Sennheiser Amperior and hd25 aluminum improve upon the 25 ii sound IMO. I think the V moda M100 sucks until you use an Amp. Its worse than my amperiors with just my Iphone. Through my Fiio A5, the V moda gets less muddy, more airy and sparkley up top, and the mids are less distant, ultimately beating out the amperior.

However I have noticed I am prefering even more of a V-shaped sound lately, and want to experience how these Purplehearts do the V better than V moda.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #328 of 520
Out of all the 3 variants of TH-X00, Ebony is the most refined, smooth and clear. As a proud owner of all 3, I prefer Ebony the most. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back