Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jul 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #512 of 520
Compared to the Purplehearts?
I have the Emu rosewood, purple heart, teaks, and Ebony woods. To me there really is a small difference between all the cups in sound. If you're wanting the headphones now I would order them from Emu. If you are dead set on the fostex purple hearts then try to find a deal on the used market , which could take some time. When you order the headset from Emu I believe you can have them put the Purpleheart cups on instead of the Teaks. Both the headphones use the exact same driver. What's going to change the sound the most are the pads. The pads that come with them are trash uncomfortable and small for my big ears. Everyone recommends the zmf Ori pads, I use the Oris on my x00 Purpleheart and the Lawton angles pads on my Emu rosewoods.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #513 of 520
Hello,

I was lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it :wink:) to hear the TH-X00 Ebony - and wow... I have to have it.

Unfortunately, it is only available at Drop. Can anyone tell me how often Drop offers it? Do I have to wait a long time?

Many greetings
Abyss

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #514 of 520
Hello,

I was lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it :wink:) to hear the TH-X00 Ebony - and wow... I have to have it.

Unfortunately, it is only available at Drop. Can anyone tell me how often Drop offers it? Do I have to wait a long time?

Many greetings
Abyss
Unfortunately the Ebony has been out of production for a couple of years and will most likely never be produced again. You're better off finding a used pair here on head-fi or ebay. They'll pop up every now and then. The TH-X00 models are non detachable cables while the TR-X00 versions come with detachable cables.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #515 of 520
Due to a more and more obviously evil eye from wife when I’m staring in the roof in the living room with cans on my ears and music in the world, been admitting to myself that now is the time for some ok closed cans.

Bought a couple of months ago – in almost mint condition – a used set FOSTEX TH-X00 EBONY. Playing with them these days with different settings etc. I like them a lot, but of course they are what they are in the closed family, and that’s all ok. Have read/heard that the Ebony-model has the deepest sub-bass, with very clear separation etc all the way down, the least bleed into other frequency in all of range? And “rumours” says that the 3 different wood-choices on these models from Massdrop are from 0-90 percent different in each sound-picture?

I am owner of a set of Denon AH-D2000, that are just slightly modded, and have had the 5000 version a while ago, but never heard, or tested the 7000 version. There are clear differences between the X00 and the 2000.

If anyone here has the Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony edition, can you comment on the experience with these? And if there is any possible minor mods to do with something, if needed at all?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #516 of 520
Hi, I do own and use a TH-X00 as an early adopter and frankly speaking I would not mod It anyway.
The only thing you really need is a good amp, detailed, clean sounding and not necessarily powerful.
It's a versatile can and easy to enjoy. Maybe I would change the cable, at the time the TR did not exist. My humble opinion... :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #517 of 520
Hi, I wonder if the drivers of the Massdrop Fostexes are really the same as the TH-600 ones.

I have a very well used TH-600 with some different aftermarket pads and got a TR-X00. The latter was louder, had more mids and sounded less hifi than the TH-600. I took the drivers from the TH-600 and implanted them in the Massdrop. I haven't rebuilt the TH-600 yet, so I can't compare, but the new hybrid 'phone sounds great. Maybe it's just because the drivers have had years of burn-in?

I took pictures of the drivers, and they have different part numbers. The Massdrop has 606005, and the older TH-600 has 481842 on them. You can see it looks exactly the same, but maybe a TH-900 driver also looks like this.

It doesn't really matter as I am happy with the cans, but maybe someone can shed some light on this difference.

20220115_201043.jpg

20220115_195646.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #518 of 520
Just wanted to post to say that I've had the Ebony at work since the Massdrop release, so a good number of years now, and during all those years I've always found it very fatiguing with very harsh treble...

...aaaaand turns out that was due to the xDuoo XD-05 I was running it through. What a piece of crap that turned out to be! (It made a constant clicking noise thorughout all the years as well.)

Right now I'm about 6 months into a Fiio K3 and holy crap, it's like having a completely new pair of headphones. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a crazy boomy-bass nutso headphone, but it makes my work day fun and most important of all: No longer fatiguing! 4 + 4 hours straight listening and my ears aren't tired.

The only reason I'd ever put any more money into my work setup is because I got a new laptop and dock so I needed to reduce my USB port usage (the xDuuo consumed two), so I feel a bit silly becuase it turns out I could have had smooth treble years ago already. 😅

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #519 of 520
Due to a more and more obviously evil eye from wife when I’m staring in the roof in the living room with cans on my ears and music in the world, been admitting to myself that now is the time for some ok closed cans.

Bought a couple of months ago – in almost mint condition – a used set FOSTEX TH-X00 EBONY. Playing with them these days with different settings etc. I like them a lot, but of course they are what they are in the closed family, and that’s all ok. Have read/heard that the Ebony-model has the deepest sub-bass, with very clear separation etc all the way down, the least bleed into other frequency in all of range? And “rumours” says that the 3 different wood-choices on these models from Massdrop are from 0-90 percent different in each sound-picture?

I am owner of a set of Denon AH-D2000, that are just slightly modded, and have had the 5000 version a while ago, but never heard, or tested the 7000 version. There are clear differences between the X00 and the 2000.

If anyone here has the Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony edition, can you comment on the experience with these? And if there is any possible minor mods to do with something, if needed at all?
Not an Ebony owner, but a Purple Heart set of X00s. I installed Lawton driver mods on these years ago and found it refined the sound a bit. Wider soundstage and better separation (minor), but I did think it made an audible difference for the better. Swapping pads away from the stock TH-X00 pads (I'm a fan of Dekoni fenestrated) can also drastically alter the sound.

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #520 of 520
Not an Ebony owner, but a Purple Heart set of X00s. I installed Lawton driver mods on these years ago and found it refined the sound a bit. Wider soundstage and better separation (minor), but I did think it made an audible difference for the better. Swapping pads away from the stock TH-X00 pads (I'm a fan of Dekoni fenestrated) can also drastically alter the sound.
I agree they change the sound signature but for me at least not for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back