Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #481 of 520
Is the E-MU Teak a good alternative to someone who can’t get a hold of the Ebony? I prefer the looks of the Ebony but they seem comparable sound-wise.
You can always buy a Mahogany TH or TR and buy ebony cups from EMU for $120 and slap them on there. My mahogany on the left with TH900 drivers and EMU ebony cups. On the right stock TR-X00 Ebonies

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #482 of 520
You can always buy a Mahogany TH or TR and buy ebony cups from EMU for $120 and slap them on there. My mahogany on the left with TH900 drivers and EMU ebony cups. On the right stock TR-X00 Ebonies

Yeah I’m considering that route, I just worry that makes things a bit more costly than they should be. I could probably be happy with a Teak as well since they are apparently rather similar.

May 1, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #484 of 520
Does this get them to sound like the Fostex Ebony?
They pretty much sounded the same to me. I A/B tested both headphones on a 789 because I had heard people say each driver is tuned differently but apparently Massdrop said it came down to the wood cups. The test was done before I ripped out the X00 drivers.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #485 of 520
They pretty much sounded the same to me. I A/B tested both headphones on a 789 because I had heard people say each driver is tuned differently but apparently Massdrop said it came down to the wood cups so I was concerned I wouldn't get the same smooth sound. The test was done before I ripped out the X00 driver.
Thanks!

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #486 of 520
My first ''good'' headphone was Creative Aurvana Live. I've upgraded my headphones later (after couple of years) but i never find that bass punch even with praised headphones. Lately i discovered these Fostex Drop headphones and Emu Teak. So much praise. I'm curious about them. I've just realized these are similiar to CAL. Same driver type but bigger. I understand now why people praising these but to be honest CAL's are really low tier headphones. I wonder these Emu Teaks and Fostex cans are good at detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, instrument seperation etc... There are Beyer tesla headphones at this price range which is similiar to these. Also Sundara, LCD1 and 660S. How are these compared to those. Beyer tesla cans are super fast and good at detail. DT 770 is also far better than CAL for example. I have Ananda and i'm curious are these gonna sound like low fi basshead headphone or can be competitive to something like Ananda ?

TLDR: 1770 or 1990 vs Fostex Ebony and Emu Teak ? Especially technical capability, soundstage, imaging, detail etc.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #487 of 520
My first ''good'' headphone was Creative Aurvana Live. I've upgraded my headphones later (after couple of years) but i never find that bass punch even with praised headphones. Lately i discovered these Fostex Drop headphones and Emu Teak. So much praise. I'm curious about them. I've just realized these are similiar to CAL. Same driver type but bigger. I understand now why people praising these but to be honest CAL's are really low tier headphones. I wonder these Emu Teaks and Fostex cans are good at detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, instrument seperation etc... There are Beyer tesla headphones at this price range which is similiar to these. Also Sundara, LCD1 and 660S. How are these compared to those. Beyer tesla cans are super fast and good at detail. DT 770 is also far better than CAL for example. I have Ananda and i'm curious are these gonna sound like low fi basshead headphone or can be competitive to something like Ananda ?

TLDR: 1770 or 1990 vs Fostex Ebony and Emu Teak ? Especially technical capability, soundstage, imaging, detail etc.
Don't expect any sound stage or high resolution out of these. Go with the Ebony over Teak. Teak is too bright up top and doesn't dig as deep in the bass as Ebony.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #488 of 520
Don't expect any sound stage or high resolution out of these. Go with the Ebony over Teak. Teak is too bright up top and doesn't dig as deep in the bass as Ebony.
Do you know any place to buy ? What was the drop price ? I like Emu Teak aesthetically a lot. They are gorgeus but can't trust them. They are $500+$30 in their website and they have odd order procedure. I'm leaning towards TRX Ebony as well.
There is a HUGE difference between CAL and DT 770 in terms of soundstage, imaging and resolution. CAL simply unbearable, congested mess. How are these compared to DT 770 and tesla 1770-1990 ? Beyer cans are vshape and fun cans but they do soundstage, imaging, resolution great.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #489 of 520
Do you know any place to buy ? What was the drop price ? I like Emu Teak aesthetically a lot. They are gorgeus but can't trust them. They are $500+$30 in their website and they have odd order procedure. I'm leaning towards TRX Ebony as well.
There is a HUGE difference between CAL and DT 770 in terms of soundstage, imaging and resolution. CAL simply unbearable, congested mess. How are these compared to DT 770 and tesla 1770-1990 ? Beyer cans are vshape and fun cans but they do soundstage, imaging, resolution great.
The pad rooms are small inside the Ebony, and in order to get decent sound stage, you need good room inside like TH900 or the beyers like DT770 etc.. If you had TH900 money, it's more worth it to go with Denon D9200 although the sound stage isn't as big.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #490 of 520
The pad rooms are small inside the Ebony, and in order to get decent sound stage, you need good room inside like TH900 or the beyers like DT770 etc.. If you had TH900 money, it's more worth it to go with Denon D9200 although the sound stage isn't as big.
How about Denon D5200. I guess they changed the drivers.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #491 of 520
IMO DT770 is a great bang for the buck closed-back. Only issue I had was the 1 out of 4 tried was really good, so there seem to be production variance on them.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #492 of 520
How about Denon D5200. I guess they changed the drivers.
No idea. It seems their Dx200 series has different types of wood utilized with 5200 and 7200 using wood with 5200 being dark, and 9200 being bamboo. But, I have read that 7200 is warmer sounding with seemingly rolled off a bit up top compared to the brighter 9200. IME D9200 didn't get peaky although can be considered bright, but not Beyer peaky type response, and the best part was very interesting bass. It expresses bass really well. It will cause you to listen to music that was mastered with bass as central focus.

If you want better sound, Ebony over Teak. Who cares about the looks. Paying big money on how headphone looks seems like a big waste. Headphones have no real practical value with it's looks compared to other types of products.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #493 of 520
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #494 of 520
No idea. It seems their Dx200 series has different types of wood utilized with 5200 and 7200 using wood with 5200 being dark, and 9200 being bamboo. But, I have read that 7200 is warmer sounding with seemingly rolled off a bit up top compared to the brighter 9200. IME D9200 didn't get peaky although can be considered bright, but not Beyer peaky type response, and the best part was very interesting bass. It expresses bass really well. It will cause you to listen to music that was mastered with bass as central focus.

If you want better sound, Ebony over Teak. Who cares about the looks.
How about LCD 2C and 2 ? 2C is too dark though. Current 2F seems balanced. I think Ebony vs 2F is quite interesting comparison. I have a good understanding of Hifiman and Beyerdynamic sound but curious about these two.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #495 of 520
How about LCD 2C and 2 ? 2C is too dark though. Current 2F seems balanced. I think Ebony vs 2F is quite interesting comparison. I have a good understanding of Hifiman and Beyerdynamic sound but curious about these two.
Imaging stage will definately be larger, but planar and dynamic bass are different. 2C is slightly open, but Audeze are generally not airy like Hifimans. Gimped upper-mids and Audeze generally thickens the mids with a dive in the upper-mids causing crucial definition and resolution of sounds to take a big dive with hazy warm-ness up top, reducing clarity. Ebony's biocelluse dynamic expresses bass differently, and well worth experiencing.

I think in general, most companies can extend bass in planars, but it's not easy to tell how impactful the bass is until you actually try them out. But, mids to upper-frequencies vary widely in how each company is able to tune the area that defines and causes details in sounds. Audeze doesn't know how to control their drivers for upper frequencies. Also, the open-ness of the planar headphones. Only Hifimans are truely open planars.

Upper-frequencies for headphones in general are not easy to tune, particularly with planars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back