Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #466 of 520
anyone know where i can find a decent storage case for these?

thanks in advance

Geekria case that I found on Amazon works quite well for me. There's a lot of model, just make sure to get one that can fit full size headphones.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #468 of 520
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #472 of 520
Pretty sad that these are so hard to get now, I really wish Drop didn’t stop selling them. Of the pairs that are out there, I doubt any owners are looking to get rid of theirs. I’m kicking myself for not getting these when they were around because I now have a sudden desire for them. They seem like a real gem. Well, I guess I just gotta hope for the best luck!

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #473 of 520
IMG_20200430_123336.jpg
IMG_20200430_123345.jpg

Accessory House Non perforated pads installed along Dekoni attenuation rings. Comfort is great.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #474 of 520
Pretty sad that these are so hard to get now, I really wish Drop didn’t stop selling them. Of the pairs that are out there, I doubt any owners are looking to get rid of theirs. I’m kicking myself for not getting these when they were around because I now have a sudden desire for them. They seem like a real gem. Well, I guess I just gotta hope for the best luck!
I had no idea. No wonder the recent one I saw on the classifieds sold so quickly at $350. Awhile back, the market price was much lower when there was a sale on drop of $400 for the TR-X00, and people would not touch that price used.

This means yalls Ebonies will be limited supply, and resell value will not drop!

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #475 of 520
I had no idea. No wonder the recent one I saw on the classifieds sold so quickly at $350. Awhile back, the market price was much lower when there was a sale on drop of $400 for the TR-X00, and people would not touch that price used.

This means yalls Ebonies will be limited supply, and resell value will not drop!
Yeah I’m dying for one now. Guess it’s that desire that comes out when something becomes harder to obtain. Darn it! :grimacing:

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #476 of 520
Yeah I’m dying for one now. Guess it’s that desire that comes out when something becomes harder to obtain. Darn it! :grimacing:
Yup, human nature. We are all unreasonable that way. I always thought Ebony is more worth it than the TH900. I didn't like peak on the TH900, although stage is larger due to the space in the cups, but not as easy to get strong bass unless you got a tube amp that pushes out bass for dynamic drivers.

When I saw the video of the process to get the cups to look the way it does for the TH900, I thought the look result wasn't worth the effort/time put into it. It would be more interesting if they just make a see through coating of the different woods. Either way, I don't think looks of TH900 is really a step-up from the TH-R00 series.

Something that has distinctly different sound I've been interested is the Denon D9200. I like the better clarity and the bass is just damn interesting to try out various tracks on. D9200 is closer to the Ebony since the pad room is similar in being reduced in size, so it's more intimate sounding, but punches better.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #478 of 520
I have these cans in mahogany. Is there any sound difference to the ebony? Does it have the same resale value? I enjoy mine and I’m not looking to sell but this conversation has me curious.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #479 of 520
Is the E-MU Teak a good alternative to someone who can’t get a hold of the Ebony? I prefer the looks of the Ebony but they seem comparable sound-wise.
No, both have different signatures. Ebony is warmer, and more balanced with greater bass. Teak is V-shaped, and bright with more leveled bass, or just tilted colder in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back