Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #436 of 520
Hi,

I want to mount the dekoni audio Elite Sheepskin Earpads on my Th-x00 Ebony.
Where i can get a new, plastic ring, that has a round opening?
Because as I understand it, it would not be optimal to use the original ring (oval opening).
Is this right?
There is a mounting ring and a attenuation ring IIRC and I've never seen a ear pad mounting ring that had an oval opening. If you read back a few pages I think there are a few links to where you can buy the mounting rings

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #437 of 520
Now I see.
Thx

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #438 of 520
sold these cans a few days ago....seeking a step up...audeze lcd2c, focal clear, zmf auteur....
if anyone has heard all these 3, share your thoughts, kindly even in a pm.
love bass, clarity and also balance for rock, blues, jazz

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #439 of 520
Try the Focal Elegia.

Yesterday I tried the th900 pads on my Ebony...
It was a Nightmare.

The Ebony Pads on the th900, on the other hand, was a revelation

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #440 of 520
Hi @SilverEars,

Materials make a lot of difference to sound, it's why there are so many head gear, sources, components not only made but comprised from &/of different materials.

Like you say with wooden guitars, particularly Ebony, has that nice bass note among the woods.

Agree with you @ZetsuBozu0012,

Though I will say measurements only tell the partial story & going by my experience with wood & acoustics in general, sound is only half the story, the feelings that sound brings out is the other half...but then it is all subjective & personal too.

So one day, people...One day eventually !

Hope everyone has a great day !

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #441 of 520
I owned the Mahoganies for a couple of years, friend lent me his Ebonies. At first I was just using well recorded music - intimate jazz and acoustic, some bass. Pretty good. Upper mids - way back, bass impressive, better than the Mahogany, even treble seemed a bit better = more focus/less grain.

Then I pulled out a 70's recording: ELP "Trilogy". First 3 cuts. Low register piano, bass, and organ melding in a most curious way. Highly colored. Bet a change of pads would help a lot. Even after some changes, they are likely to lean on the "fun" side. Interesting, but, not for me.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #442 of 520
I just bought these cans, and I have to say that they are interesting. The bass is a tad on the 'boomy' side of things and somewhat rounded, although it is definitely engaging. The highs are surprisingly pleasant for a Fostex, especially pleasant when compared to the TH-900 which was unlistenable to my ears. The mid-range is not as recessed as I thought it would be, but vocals are definitely not the focus of this headphone. It's definitely a v-shaped signature, but something keeps making me come back to them. I also find them more comfortable because their pads make it feel more secure.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #444 of 520
I just bought these cans, and I have to say that they are interesting. The bass is a tad on the 'boomy' side of things and somewhat rounded, although it is definitely engaging. The highs are surprisingly pleasant for a Fostex, especially pleasant when compared to the TH-900 which was unlistenable to my ears. The mid-range is not as recessed as I thought it would be, but vocals are definitely not the focus of this headphone. It's definitely a v-shaped signature, but something keeps making me come back to them. I also find them more comfortable because their pads make it feel more secure.

They sound good on good recordings. They are V shaped, and the bass is fullsome.

Add: The imaging (meh) falls apart at higher volumes or complex recordings (IM). Quite nice on AOR type rock - Steely Dan, etc. or chamber pop: Norah Jones. The V shape gives a nice sense of depth in the mids. Yes, Weather Report, and Miles Davis (Bitches Brew up) tend to drown the driver and a lot of amusical stuff is produced.

Better can at low volumes/complexity than the Mahogany.

Too many issues re: the way I listen

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #445 of 520
I wish that there was more of a discussion about this headphone. It's nicely balanced, and is even enjoyable at lower volumes.
I'm listening to some Thelonius Monk on these and the sub-bass is definitely showing off. The placement of instruments is also surprisingly well done.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #446 of 520
I wish that there was more of a discussion about this headphone. It's nicely balanced, and is even enjoyable at lower volumes.
I'm listening to some Thelonius Monk on these and the sub-bass is definitely showing off. The placement of instruments is also surprisingly well done.

I jump in. I have these cans along side the Senn 58x and 6xx as well as the Focal Elears and some planar magnetics from HE.

These Fostex are by far the best sounding and my favorite of the bunch. I reach for the Focals when i want to do classical/indie music and the Focals are amazing in terms of separation and clarity....and i usually just run one of the cheaper sennheisers for gaming and EDM as the Senns are king of long listening sessions as they don't induce fatigue. I actually almost never reach for the planar magnetics but with all that set...the best overall well rounded do a bit of everything (especially moves and EDM) headphones I own are these Fostex Ebony's.

Buy them, you won't regret it.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #447 of 520
I jump in. I have these cans along side the Senn 58x and 6xx as well as the Focal Elears and some planar magnetics from HE.

These Fostex are by far the best sounding and my favorite of the bunch. I reach for the Focals when i want to do classical/indie music and the Focals are amazing in terms of separation and clarity....and i usually just run one of the cheaper sennheisers for gaming and EDM as the Senns are king of long listening sessions as they don't induce fatigue. I actually almost never reach for the planar magnetics but with all that set...the best overall well rounded do a bit of everything (especially moves and EDM) headphones I own are these Fostex Ebony's.

Buy them, you won't regret it.

Good to know, these are probably my next HP

Jun 11, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #448 of 520
The more I read on the Ebony, the more I convince my self to own them. Their dad; the TH-900, is also an option. However, I can only afford the TH-900 second hand, there seems to be an abudance of heavily modified TH-900 on the market, some of them modified too much, an untouched TH-900 is a rarity.

On the other hand, I can comfortably afford a brand new TH-X00 Ebony, virginal for my taking. Will I be missing too much from the TH-900 if I go for the Ebony? Many say the Ebonies are a safe purchase, but boy The Big Reds sure are tempting.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #449 of 520
How does the ebony compare to th900?

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #450 of 520
Anyone had the spring tensioned fastener thingy unscrew itself?

HEhIpUx.jpg

Oh3ZCSX.jpg

How the heck do you get it back? There's zero room to fit a screwdriver in there because the cup is in the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back