Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Sep 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #346 of 520
The HE-400i to the TH-X00 are so different, they're almost diametrically opposite in what they do. Then again, what most audiophiles consider "neutral" I consider "bass lite" and what most consider "detailed and transparent" I consider "treble forward & fatiguing".

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #350 of 520
@Tetonpowskier it you can find a used TH-X00 that is the way I would go since they wouldn't depreciate as much as a new one would. I don't think the HE400 has sibilant treble but since mine are modded can't make a fair comparison. You might also want to look at the EL-8 since they are on sale if you go to the apple store. To me the EL-8 has close to the HE400 bass but has mids and highs that put it far ahead of a stock HE400 and they are great from even my crappy S5 phone.

@PopZeus agree that the HE400 and TH-X00 are really different sound signatures and love that you seem to know exactly what you want:beerchug:

@BB 808 , good call on the TH-610, I've only heard it once, liked what I heard but its not the bass heavy headphone that one would associate with Fostex. Its a much better balanced sound and the ear pads are better than the TH-X00 IMO.

@ZetsuBozu0012 , agree with you about Z reviews, I find my impressions usually don't match his 75% of the time but he does a better video review than many others.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #351 of 520
@PopZeus agree that the HE400 and TH-X00 are really different sound signatures and love that you seem to know exactly what you want:beerchug:

Thanks for the positive vibes man! Haha.

On topic: TH-X00 is V shaped. E-MU Teak is U shaped. If one wants something closer to the HE-400... Of course, the EB offer an ideal V shape with lots of bass slam and treble detail, with enough mid presence to not get swallowed up.

Side note, I went in on the Elear Labor Day sale and I gotta say, that feels like actual neutral mid to bass response to me. It's atill too to tell but it feels like my idea of reference.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #354 of 520
Should I just stop watching Z reviews. He's confusing the **** out of me. I trust you guys on liking the Ebony the most, but then Z goes on to say that the Ebony doesnt have the "magic" of the PH or Mahogany..

So confused.

Does Z just like really v-shaped headphones?

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #355 of 520
... I'll just be candid. Too sleepy to be diplomatic.

In my experience, Zeos doesn't really know what he's talking about and just likes tossing manufacturer spiels and drawing cables out of his butt. Granted, his review formats are really rather entertaining, but they're hardly substantial.

Also, TH610s are nice but the treble kinda bites, but not as bad as on the TH900 mk2. I wanted to like the 610s more because of the look and detachable cables, but that didn't happen. THX00 have the least weird frequency response at the expense of less clarity. No idea about the EMU Teaks, kinda want to demo them myself, but I need money for an amp and a DAC.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #356 of 520
... I'll just be candid. Too sleepy to be diplomatic.

In my experience, Zeos doesn't really know what he's talking about and just likes tossing manufacturer spiels and drawing cables out of his butt. Granted, his review formats are really rather entertaining, but they're hardly substantial.

Also, TH610s are nice but the treble kinda bites, but not as bad as on the TH900 mk2. I wanted to like the 610s more because of the look and detachable cables, but that didn't happen. THX00 have the least weird frequency response at the expense of less clarity. No idea about the EMU Teaks, kinda want to demo them myself, but I need money for an amp and a DAC.

What TH-X00 woods have you heard?

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #357 of 520
Just the EB, which I prefer to the TH900 and the TH610 (both of which I demoed at a local audio dealer). There's a MH for sale locally, which I might try demoing too. I was a bit sad about the TH900 because everything was pretty good except for the stabby treble. I couldn't wear them for very long before feeling uncomfortable, and I don't listen to music too loudly. For what it's worth, the EBs have better balance and imaging/staging than the Grado RS1 (which I couldn't keep because I needed the cash, sigh) and more clarity than the modern Beyerdynamic DT880/250, allowing for more intelligible passages in complex tracks. The Beyers have a wider soundstage though, which I do like. The treble on my pair wasn't all that bad, even, despite Beyer's reputation for having less than polite treble; if anything, the 11kHz spike on the X00 EBs bothers me a bit more, but not by very much.

Could also be due to my having lucked out, as I hear Beyer's QC is a bit spotty (i.e. inconsistent measurements).

Will be loaning an HD 650 for reference soon, since that's a fair baseline.

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #360 of 520

Users who are viewing this thread

Back