Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Sep 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #361 of 520
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #365 of 520
I have to clarify, I tried the sheepskin elite and fenestrated versions of the th900 pads on the ebony, not the massdrop ones with the smaller oval opening. I planned on making a post about the "week of sheepskin padrolling" that I was experimenting with this past week. Alpha pads on my shure 1540, sheepskin pads on hd598cs, and the sheepskin elite pads for my Beyerdynamic custom studios. I'll make sure to link the entire thread as I'm still proofreading it and adding last minute notes, but in short: Sheepskin elite cut the midbass by 3ish db, subbass is a bit more accentuated and cuts through most mixes. Treble was VERY clean on the regular sheepskin, fenestrated injected alittle bit more treble energy. Soundstage increase is tremendous, I've never heard a pad make this much of a difference without being accompanied with tremendous amounts of treble. I can't compare them to anything in my collection, they're hands down the best headphones I have out of the 23 I own.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #367 of 520
Just got my pair and I couldn't be happier! :L3000:

They are a gorgeous dark brown color and they sound amazing with the Dekoni Velour 2.0 pads (my pad of choice).

The Ebony and the Mahogany sound nearly identical, so I could be happy living with either one, but the beautiful dark brown finish of the Ebony's makes them more than worth their extra cost.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #368 of 520
Hi guys -

Very interested in these ebony headphones (those cups just look so sexy...)

Can anyone offer any impression/comparisons between these EBONYs and the TH900s?

I have the TH900 v.1 and very much love them. Will the Ebonys be different enough to justify?

Thanks in advance,
x

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #369 of 520
If extensive store demo impressions of the TH900 V2 will satisfy, I'll gladly oblige.

I vastly prefer the X00EB because it's less painful to my ears. The TH900 I demoed was superior in look (urushi is a lovely finish), imaging and soundstage, overall clarity, and bass control, but the treble spike made it impossible for me to listen to for any longer than a single 3-min song's playtime.

I'd say the TH900 is technically superior in some aspects, but because of its wonky FR, it isn't as categorically 'good' as the X00. Also, with the exception of bass, the X00 didn't sound very far behind the TH900 in performance.

If you have no problems with the TH900 though, then good on ya. I wouldn't say keeping both on hand is justifiable unless you're collecting Fostex cans.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #371 of 520
Nice! OK, I logged and voted for them :)

But, but...anyone compared them with the ZMF Ori pads?

I have Ori pads, and will retrieve my Dekoni Fenerated pads next week. I'll share my finding with it on Ebony. I could also compare it to Eikon pads and Dekoni Sheepskin pads if you like. :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #373 of 520
I ended up going with Purplehearts. I got a like new open box set from BLINQ on eBay, for $339. If I like the signature, I'll probably add the ebony to my collection as well, but from MassDrop themselves so I get the warranty.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #374 of 520
Dekoni pads are on Massdrop again, also with pads for the TH-X0. I got the fenestrated TH-X00 pads, as well as lambskin TH-X0 pads. Live a little!

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #375 of 520
Dekoni pads are on Massdrop again, also with pads for the TH-X0. I got the fenestrated TH-X00 pads, as well as lambskin TH-X0 pads. Live a little!

please do share your impressions of the pads..pros, cons...etc
i'll prob get a pair for the next drop...unsure if hybrid or the fenestrated ones.

question on this level 1 diy mod....mark suggested to me to also try the mods without the padding for the earcups that is included...he said some prefer it with...some without.

Attachments

• lawton1IMG_20171112_162012.jpg
    lawton1IMG_20171112_162012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back