Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #331 of 520
It looks like Massdrop is trying to milk this drop of its Ebony and Purpleheart TH-X00's. The countdown has been frozen at '6 Hours Left' for the past 2 days, so its anybody's guess when this drop will actually end. :angry:

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-5_8-44-56.png
    upload_2017-9-5_8-44-56.png
    844 bytes · Views: 0
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #332 of 520
It looks like Massdrop is trying to milk this drop of its Ebony and Purpleheart TH-X00's. The countdown has been frozen at '6 Hours Left' for the past 2 days, so its anybody's guess when this drop will actually end. :angry:
Massdrop say this in the box below the 1st paragraph:

"The TH-X00 Ebony will launch and end each day to collect purchases. Items will ship within 2-3 business days. Quantity is limited."

I think they're trying to sell the remaining stock.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #334 of 520

Massdrop has done this for their products that is in ready stock. It's a good news for those that want TH-X00 as it ships soon rather than waiting for occasional drop.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #335 of 520
buyer heads up on this drop, esp if you order then change your mind and want to cancel before drop ends. all sales final.

Attachments

• massdropCapture.PNG
    massdropCapture.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • massdropCapture2.PNG
    massdropCapture2.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #336 of 520
buyer beware of this drop, esp if you order then change your mind and want to cancel before drop ends.

.i ordered these 2 days ago ... but then decided on the same day to cancel before the drop had ended.

(my worries stemmed from being a cdn customer and that massdrop had not outlined how they'd be shipped....if from USPS then not so bad but when you get DHL (etc) involved then huge gouge fees can ensue.)
but there is no regular cancel button in transactions..instead it says to contact the office
so i email them asking to cancel....and i get an email today (after long weekend) saying this drop is a bit different
and the order, once placed, is already being prepped and ready to ship via DHL
(read gouge fees here we come for out of US customers/i'm a canuck).
...so it cannot be cancelled even though i submitted such before the drop had ended.

so my question: if i reject the DHL delivery (don't accept it) and it gets returned i should get a full refund.
imo massdrop should have made this clear on their site....would be less hassles for both both sides.

This DHL delivery might not be DHL all the way, it is the most economic one I think. In my case, DHL will pass the delivery to EMS and then handled by my local post office, so there isn't any DHL hidden charges. The bad thing is it's a long wait, 2-3 weeks at least for me, compared to the express DHL that took less than a week. But of course, YMMV

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #337 of 520
This DHL delivery might not be DHL all the way, it is the most economic one I think. In my case, DHL will pass the delivery to EMS and then handled by my local post office, so there isn't any DHL hidden charges. The bad thing is it's a long wait, 2-3 weeks at least for me, compared to the express DHL that took less than a week. But of course, YMMV

i hear you...

update; my bad and i apologize for that rant, not knowing it was 'all sales final' (only my 2nd drop)...regardless i didn't see the fine print on this one (thought one could cancel any drop before it'd ended)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #338 of 520
I just received shipping conformation for my Ebony's, even though the drop for these is still open.

It looks like Massdrop is going to keep this drop for the Ebony's and Purpleheart's going for a while, probably until they sell out of whatever quantities they have on hand.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #341 of 520
Thats what I am wondering as well. Do they offer a step up in sound quality, transparency and detail compared to Hifimans 400 variants..

I have no way to try them before I buy.
I understand the frustration of not being able to audition before buying since there are no places that I can audition anything more than beats, bose, sony, and a few other brands. At one point I just decided to go for it, if you don't like it you can always sell them and if you are lucky it will be at the same price that you paid for them. Asking all the questions should only be used to see if they fit the general sound signature that you prefer since what I hear on my system will be different from what you hear on your system. I can tell you that my HE400 is more transparent with better details compared to the TH-X00 that I had but someone else with different hearing and different supporting gear will say just the opposite so who do you believe? No one, only you can make the determination yourself on your system with your hearing.

I know this is a little harsh but its the reality, the best you can hope for is to find others with that have the same impressions as you with similar gear then it gets a little easier down the road. You already have the HE400 so you might want to find others that share your impressions of the HE400 and see what they think of other headphone you are interested in since you both will have a common starting point.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #342 of 520
So after asking about fifty people on here (Thank you by the way)..You guys have been saying the bass is wooly/muddy on the TH-X00 compared the to HE-400, which might be a deal breaker for me. The treble on the fostex still has some coloration, but its not quite as sibilant as the HE-400. Mids are similar on both I guess, having a dip there, but it's not necessarily recessed. My main priorities are clarity, transparency and detail, and almost everyone has said the Hifimans win on that front, by a significant ammount. The Hifimans are also more "airy", with a bit more soundstage, as they should being fully open.

Since I already own the HE-400, as well as a V moda M100 for ultra portability, it seems like the TH-X00 would be overlap and it sits right in between those two cans.. That, along with the non-removable cables, has me going back to the drawing board for now.

If I do make the leap of faith onto the TH-X00 hype train, I would probably go Mahogany or PH. If I didnt like it, I can just sell it for 90% of what I paid. Either that or buy one used..

I need to go to my local apple store today and try out the Audeze Sine. Thanks all.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #343 of 520
So after asking about fifty people on here (Thank you by the way)..You guys have been saying the bass is wooly/muddy on the TH-X00 compared the to HE-400, which might be a deal breaker for me. The treble on the fostex still has some coloration, but its not quite as sibilant as the HE-400. Mids are similar on both I guess, having a dip there, but it's not necessarily recessed. My main priorities are clarity, transparency and detail, and almost everyone has said the Hifimans win on that front, by a significant ammount. The Hifimans are also more "airy", with a bit more soundstage, as they should being fully open.

Since I already own the HE-400, as well as a V moda M100 for ultra portability, it seems like the TH-X00 would be overlap and it sits right in between those two cans.. That, along with the non-removable cables, has me going back to the drawing board for now.

If I do make the leap of faith onto the TH-X00 hype train, I would probably go Mahogany or PH. If I didnt like it, I can just sell it for 90% of what I paid. Either that or buy one used..

I need to go to my local apple store today and try out the Audeze Sine. Thanks all.
If you're interested in the Fostex TH-X00 sound and removable cables, you might take a look at the Fostex TH-610.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #344 of 520
i havent heard the greatest things about the TH-610.. atleast not when it's compared to the TH-x00.

Ill probably just sell a pair of skis and get the Mahogany. Before I move onto Top teir and more balanced headphones, I want to cap off my mid-teir V-shaped can collection with something classy and wooden.

On Z's demos on youtube, I find I liked the Mahogany the best, as it was the most in your face and thick, while still being 95% as detailed as the other PH and Ebony. I know I should be listening to those demos with a grain of salt, but his following leads me to believe he is doing something right..

Lemme know if you guys think I should go with the PH hands down, over the Mahogany. If it is more v shaped and thick, maybe, but I just dont hear it on those demos. The PH sounds thinner to my ears.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #345 of 520
Just gonna say that the Z Sound Demos are hardly accurate representations of what you'll actually be hearing once you get them, and are kinda pointless to boot (unless you have one of the cans he's demoed, in which case you could establish a shaky baseline... of sorts). Also, having a massive following doesn't necessarily you're doing something right— look at Joel Osteen, ***.

But really, please, don't put too much (or any) stock in the sound demos.

Also, I emphatically disagree with his impressions on a semi-regular basis, at least insofar as the models I've heard go. Really, best shot would be to read up on reviews, check out other reviews by those same users to get a feel for their sonic preferences and whether or not they know what they're talking about. Hell, I wrote a few reviews on here a couple years back, maybe one or two of which got some decent engagement. Doesn't mean I didn't know what the bloody heck I was talking about back then since nearly all of my experience with headphones back then involved mid-fi and below; even now I only occasionally get to listen to good gear, though I do plan on upgrading to higher-end stuff eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back