Why isn't the Focal Spirit Classic more popular!
Feb 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 55
A wonderful pair of headphones by some margin my favourite. Totally ruined for me by cracking headbands. Three pairs 18 months. What a shame.

EDIT just £179 on Amazon if you're feeling lucky. I no longer do!!!

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 55
Hi
I bought  a pair in Jan 2017 for only 199 Euro incl shipping from Germany to Netherlands through Amazon.de
I am very happy with them and they have way more definition than my HD650
I use them for commuting and at the office. I also use them for web-confercing because the als have a mic built-in on the cable!!

cheers, Mark

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #33 of 55
¡¡¡¡ ******** I bought these at Amazon for just $169, new ******* !!!!.  

The Focal Spirits, just out of the box, have a very musical performance, these are very neutral, not fatiguing at all, and as I read in other reviews, produces a silky sound, I "feel" nice textures in vocals and acoustic instruments.  So these are easy to handle, with a cell phone or a computer, however these headphones benefit from a dedicated headphone amplifier, with an amp there are noticeable improvements is sound staging, deeper bass, and a more bodied sound.

Comparing Focal Classic with my loved NAD VISO HP50, the classic have far more definition, silky sound, more refined sound, actually I think I will never use the NAD again (which I love), despite NAD are more comfortable and may be more portable.

Although they are a bit small even for my average ears and as mentioned, the NAD VISO HP50 are more comfortable, I've been using the Classic for hours in several days and it's ok, I can live with this.

Focal recommended me to buy their new Elear, but the price is $1.000, this is out of my budget.  At this price there are a lot of headphones to compare.

Well I have been using just for some 20 hours.  I'll let you know if I perceive any improvement with 100 hours or usage.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #34 of 55
¡¡¡¡ ******** I bought these at Amazon for just $169, new ******* !!!!.  

The Focal Spirits, just out of the box, have a very musical performance, these are very neutral, not fatiguing at all, and as I read in other reviews, produces a silky sound, I "feel" nice textures in vocals and acoustic instruments.  So these are easy to handle, with a cell phone or a computer, however these headphones benefit from a dedicated headphone amplifier, with an amp there are noticeable improvements is sound staging, deeper bass, and a more bodied sound.

Comparing Focal Classic with my loved NAD VISO HP50, the classic have far more definition, silky sound, more refined sound, actually I think I will never use the NAD again (which I love), despite NAD are more comfortable and may be more portable.

Although they are a bit small even for my average ears and as mentioned, the NAD VISO HP50 are more comfortable, I've been using the Classic for hours in several days and it's ok, I can live with this.

Focal recommended me to buy their new Elear, but the price is $1.000, this is out of my budget.  At this price there are a lot of headphones to compare.

Well I have been using just for some 20 hours.  I'll let you know if I perceive any improvement with 100 hours or usage.

Yes they are wonderful sounding headphones one of the most underrated

Against the odds I've found a very good replacement in the shape of the unlikely but more obvious shape of the HD600. They are quite similar in character, tonality and level of sound quality. Both are effortlessly natural sounding

Of course they're open but since I used my Classics at home it's no issue

Anyway enjoy them, look after them and I hope you have more luck.

They are capable of changing quite massively with different sources. To hear their full potential they are actually more demanding than the Sennheisers or any other headphone I've tried. Not to say they sound very good out of most not overly dark amps.

If you get a chance try them with a Chord Mojo. They really open up superbly and you won't want for anything else.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #35 of 55
Thank
Yes they are wonderful sounding headphones one of the most underrated

Against the odds I've found a very good replacement in the shape of the unlikely but more obvious shape of the HD600. They are quite similar in character, tonality and level of sound quality. Both are effortlessly natural sounding

Of course they're open but since I used my Classics at home it's no issue

Anyway enjoy them, look after them and I hope you have more luck.

They are capable of changing quite massively with different sources. To hear their full potential they are actually more demanding than the Sennheisers or any other headphone I've tried. Not to say they sound very good out of most not overly dark amps.

If you get a chance try them with a Chord Mojo. They really open up superbly and you won't want for anything else.

I have not have the chance to try the Sennheiser, sounds very interesting.

In any case, the Focal Classic at $169 (including shipping) sounded to me as a bargain.  I have some toys: Nuprime uDSD (dac and headamp), an old Musical Fidelity V-CAN (head amp), a Schiit Magni I (head amp), and a Cambridge Audio 851D (dac, head amp and pream).  The Cambridge is by far the best in all aspects (as DAC and as Head Amp), this is in another league.  So I love the V-Can, I plan to use it at office (with nuprime uDsd as dac only).

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #36 of 55
Hi RelayerCR,

I have the Sennheiser HD650. To be honest,  they have been around for sometime now. And in the many years since their intro a lot of technical progress has been made.

They are still very good when it comes to:
- looks
- build quality,
- wearing comfort with those soft felt cushions. These are one of the few that allow you to listen to music for long periods. 
- "airy, 3D sound (because they are open style headphones)

On the other hand, compared to newer types, they have:
- less definition / i.e.: reveal less details
- bass is deep but no so tight

I went a bit crazy and i currently own:
- Sennheiser HD540 Ref.II (quite old now, use it for watching TV when i don't want to disturb others in the home)
- Sennheiser HD650  (stolen from my home last Christmas and bought another 2nd hand, now thinking maybe it's an unnecessary act, have these now for reference purposes mostly)
- Audio Technica ATH M40X
- Focal spirit Classic 
- Sony MDR Z7 (just purchased these as a 2nd hand on eBay)

The last 3 have much more details and bass tightness than HD650.  Though, I'm not sure which one is my favorite. But the Classic surpised me the most with 'definition' and 'layeredness' . Not easy to explain until you listen a couple of hours and a variety of your favourite songs. For travel + office the M40X and Classic are the only ones which you can fold and carry easily. The Classic is the only one which has a built-in mic. So, you can use it for phone calls too. Also the M40X and Classic are the only low impedance headphones which can connect directly to a smartphone. I use Deezer and Spotify services on a Samsung S6 edge in the office.
Otherwise for other headphones you will need a headphone amp that provides higher voltage. For the Z7 / HD650 i am currently using a FIIO A5 amplifier and I am very satisfied with it. 

When summer comes and temperatures soar most of these headphones will be (too) sweaty on your ears. So the HD650 with its felt cushions will have the advantage in terms of comfort again.

cheers, Mark

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #37 of 55
They were quite a bargain!

I used my Focals with a V-Can II myself and liked it. The Cambridge must be quite a piece of kit.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #38 of 55
I got the Cambridge 851D at Audio Advisor for $700, it was an "open box". Original price was $1600, at that price there are some other devices in the market that are suppose to be superior than the 851D. However at $700 it was a bargain difficult to beat at that price. Before 851D I had Parasound Zdac 2 with the V-Can I (clearly better than the headphone amp from the Zdac).

851D is dac, preamp and headphone amp. I don't use as pre (you can deactivate it), that's because I have Parasound preamp that I prefer.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #39 of 55
I enjoy the Focal sound very much. It powers nicely from my iPhone. The Z7 can run from the iPhone, too. Just not as loud as the Focals.
I listen to them both on iMac using a Geek Out V2. Inexpensive used, but a nice DAC with lots of power...

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #40 of 55
Having owned these for quite a bit I'm shocked that hardly anyone owns these. They are pure liquid and smooth! almost HD650 like with more extension in the bass. Completely fatigue free and just sultry and gorgeous sounding.
Just got these today, and I concur with the above post. The Focal Spirit Classic is what I was wanting, and expecting from the Momentum 2. But instead of the Sennheiser's mostly muddy and veiled presentation, the Classic is pure buttery, lushy goodness. The only downside is the Focal's slight bulkiness and weight, which the Momentum 2 can't be beaten on. Do yourselves a favour and Audition TODAY.

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #41 of 55
Have to agree with the amazing sound quality. Was honestly blown away when I first heard them, since they don't stand out that much when it comes to looks. Plus, since I work with pro audio stuff, audiophile audio for me usually is a bit too exaggerated (what most people here refer to as a "fun" sound signature haha). These on the other hand, are great in terms of balance - relaxed yet punchy and crystal clear. The bass is what amazing headphone bass should be - clear, goes low and loud when it's there in the song, but doesn't overpower and turn up when it shouldn't.

Price point is actually extremely low for such quality, from what I could compare them to, they easily beat M50x, MSR7, Bose QC25s, Momentums, DT770s.

Unfortunately also have to agree with the fact that the comfort is a bit lacking. Although I think this is exaggerated in some people's description for sure, I remember someone on Reddit calling them "pain incarnate" haha. They are not uncomfortable for me for the first couple of hours, and I only notice the pressure and smaller earcups when listening for extended periods of time, like 3-4 hours in. So for people who don't plan to use them for such extremely long periods of time, wouldn't think it's worth worrying about. These are amazing, and might fit your head/ear shape well unless they are considerably bigger than average.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #42 of 55
Hey guys, I'm happy to be part of the club now. I was today bestowed with the chance to try these gem / beasts of a headphone! And the circumstances they were tried in grant them high favor. Check it out: So I'm actually visiting Japan for sightseeing and while shopping for portable speakers at Bic Camera (which also has mounds of IEMs and headphones on display for trying), I was recommended a place called Earphone Store Osaka (link here in Japanese). This place has 4 stores of home hi-fi goodness including Osaka and Tokyo.

My main goal was to find a better closed-back 'can for studio monitoring or normal enjoyment... actually my full appreciation on closed cans go to the Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow, but they're multi-thousand dollars. So I ended up spending a full 8 hours at Earphone Store Osaka trying a RIDICULOUS amount of headphones, both open / closed and smaller on-ear alike, probably somewhere close to 250 different headphones. All this was using my portable DAP source with lossless well-mastered headphone test songs (mostly electronic and some pop & rock) double amped with the Onkyo DAP X1A + FiiO E6 for better dynamics & realism. At first I just couldn't believe how well the Audio Technica ATH ESW 950 (on-ears) sounded. But later I realised their not as detailed and punchy as the Sennheiser HD-25 II (mid-range vesion with red band around cups)... several comparisons later I discovered these are too dark for me and lacking in details.

Moving on to full'size closed-backs I was struck at the goodness of the Sennheiser HD-569, which to me sounded snappy, balanced, crisp, fluidic, well detailed but not analytical, but a few comparisons later revealed a moderately fatiguing sound with both bass that's somewhat boomy / lacking control and somewhat hyper detailed treble. Next great find was the Focal Spirit Classic. To me this sounded tonally correct, neutral / flat but in a very good and proper way, non-fatiguing, fantastic snap to the dynamics, and just the right amount of vivid-ness and lushness without being overdone. And THAT BASS... wow, to me this must be the most proper, controlled, true to life bass I've ever heard from a closed back (still with the exception of the multi-thousand dollar Mr. Speakers above). The bass is absolutely flawless and not overdone in any way, and presents especially electronic music in a way that IMHO can be done best only with closed-backs. Not to mention other genres such as rock sound sublime as well.

What's the point of mentioning all those other headphones before the Focal Spirit Classic, you may ask? Simple: all others before it had fault in some way, until the Classic came along. To me, it is perfection in the making. Absolutely nothing amiss, nothing 'off', nothing overdone, and frankly the only thing that could be missing may be the soundstage of an open 'can like LCD 2, HD 600 or 800, or the details of an electrostat setup... but for a closed can, this really knocks things out of the park on a consistent basis, sounding so right with every song and amp I've tried it with. I get a very authoritative, robust, proper, correct sound that does nothing wrong. (IMO of course).

Speaking of amping, I also took their demo unit of the Classic upstairs to a try it with two professional solid state amp / DAC systems. Though I don't recall the name of the first amp system, I did a face-off between the Classic vs. B&O Beoplay H6, Denon AH-D 7000 (IIRC), Neu HX-6000 and Senn. HD-600 for reference. Firstly I was impressed that these 'cans scale so well with better source chain + amp. Then one by one, I found fault with other headphones, mostly others being too bright, too boomy or overtly flat / lifeless in the case of the H6. I actually preferred the HD-600 with more acoustic genres, being open cans they naturally have ability to yield a bigger soundstage or realism. But these Classic headphones give a more full bodied presentation with better heft to the bass and very full mids with pleasing treble, making them much preferable for most electronic / pop songs. A rookie saleswoman who I let audition both the HD-600 vs. Classics said she actually preferred the Classics for both the rock and electronic songs I let her demo them with, to my surprise. Finally I demoed those two again with the Chord Hugo 2 - the brand new DAP + amp that's got what I consider to be future-proof sound and perhaps the best DAC I've ever tried, comparable to the Holo Audio Spring level 3, DAVE and Yggy DACs (though have not done a side-by-side). And out of the Hugo 2 I attest to getting the best sound out of both headphones (more organic and detailed), even more than the full size SS amp system.

Overall the Focal Classic leaves me very satisfied that my (now 10 year) search for the perfect closed can has come to an end - at least for mid-tier range anyway. Not only was I able to notice these 'cans scaling nicely with upstream gear, but I was also able to do an A/B between 2 separate Classic headphone units on the better amps, confirming I heard no variation which is good for consistency between units. Needless to say I'll be scooping up one of these ASAP! ... another one perplexed at why these aren't more popular!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #43 of 55
Hi again folks, I just need to clarity a few things about my above post. I didn't mean to say the Focal Spirit Classics were better than all approx. 250 headphones I tried, but rather better than all other closed-back headphones I tried, also one being the similar Focal Spirit Pro. That is to say I glossed over the Mr. Speakers offerings having already tried them with a preference, and there were certainly open headphones that were superior especially: AKG K712, Senn. HD. 600, 650, 700 and 800, Audeze LCD 2.2 and Focal Utopia. But being that open headphones are generally superior in terms of soundstage, imaging and realism, where these closed-backs to me excelled in robust bass and dynamics. Also do note I had put the Classics up against the entire Beyer line to which I was quite surprised both the DT-770, 1770 and 990 to me fell sharply short of these Classics, not to mention the entire AKG and ATH lines, as well as many, many other brands small and large.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #44 of 55
Continuing appreciation here. To give a sense of how highly I value these: I also owned the Focal Utopia. After a while, the Utopia left. The Spirit Classic stayed :) Granted, I haven't heard the Elear, but honestly I don't have much desire to-- the Spirit Classic is satisfying enough for me.

Of course in specific areas of performance you can get better. But man, the overall package of the Spirit Classic is so good. When it comes to sheer satisfying listenability, I still enjoy it, in spite of having other technically better headphones.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #45 of 55
for those of you that feel the spirit is uncomfortable, you are not alone... I think the top part of the headband that touches your head is not padded enough for me... If you like the sound enough (which a lot of you said you did on here) Then something cheap and effective that you can do is buy a kids seat belt cover to put over it. Just a wrap around pad that will stay in place and give you way more padding...

My buddy did this for a pair of his headphones and it was perfect.... Not to mention it also gives you the option to wash it whenever you feel like it!
upload_2017-8-29_12-51-8.png

not to mention you can get dope ones like this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back