Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #256 of 520
Thanks for the info, I almost bought Dekoni pads, the bass in ebony is right now just prefect for me, I want nothing less and nothing more.

I can actually check the Dekoni measurements on the Ebony. What I wrote applied for the TH900 (at least directly). On the Ebonies the Dekoni sounded nice. Actually I could publish these, the problem is my Ebonies are not burned in yet, and people might draw premature conclusions from measurements.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #257 of 520
  I've got my Ebonies finally, after staying 10 days in the customs. It's funny I had to pay import taxes+VAT... the headphone was dispatched from Germany, but the price was in USD. Then, the papers were all fishy, like the 6.3-3.5 jack adapter price is $250 and the headphone costs the same, $250... On the other invoice you have the total value of $500. So you get 2 invoices with the package, but I've got no online invoice after the drop (only a PayPal notice) that I could use for customs clearance. All the papers were included in the package which I can't access until I invented some customs declaration in order to get the package... Without knowing in advance the country of origin, I had to assume USA (same as the currency paid). Now I have to make an appeal that according to the papers inside I didn't have to pay customs. So it's all mixed up, and I'll probably skip Massdrop after this experience.

Didn't you get a shipping notice with tracking? I've always received an e-mail with "Massdrop is shipping you a package!", along with the e-mail titled "We did it!" serving as a receipt. Additionally, you can print the receipt from your personal Massdrop account.
Used Massdrop from Finland several times with CC and PayPal, and obviously only with PayPal have I received the additional "You have authorized a payment to Massdrop Inc."-email.
Stuck in a spam filter perhaps? And yeah, on some orders the attached invoice/receipt has been divided just as oddly as yours, when there's basically just one thing in the package.
And no, Massdrop didn't ship from Germany, as they don't have warehouses in Europe, it's just the location of the selected carriers freight hub.
And where in Finland btw. :p

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #258 of 520

I can actually check the Dekoni measurements on the Ebony. What I wrote applied for the TH900 (at least directly). On the Ebonies the Dekoni sounded nice. Actually I could publish these, the problem is my Ebonies are not burned in yet, and people might draw premature conclusions from measurements.

I bought these pads as well, but haven't installed them for more than a half hour or so. The sound changes a good bit, and I swapped back because I wasn't even familiar with the stock sound to know if I was gaining an improvement in any areas. They are certainly more comfortable, no question there. I'll be doing a review of the pads sometime in the near future. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #259 of 520

Didn't you get a shipping notice with tracking? I've always received an e-mail with "Massdrop is shipping you a package!", along with the e-mail titled "We did it!" serving as a receipt. Additionally, you can print the receipt from your personal Massdrop account.
Used Massdrop from Finland several times with CC and PayPal, and obviously only with PayPal have I received the additional "You have authorized a payment to Massdrop Inc."-email.
Stuck in a spam filter perhaps? And yeah, on some orders the attached invoice/receipt has been divided just as oddly as yours, when there's basically just one thing in the package.
And no, Massdrop didn't ship from Germany, as they don't have warehouses in Europe, it's just the location of the selected carriers freight hub.
And where in Finland btw. :p

Yes, I've got the notification, but no attachments with it, and no indication from where it's shipped. Destination greater Hki. I'd expect to receive the data I need for customs clearance, but now I will manage the situation I've got. Anyway it's off-topic. :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #260 of 520
About the Dekoni pads, it's mixed:
- they have actually better deep bass extension
- but lower bass volume
than the stock pads.
However, they are a worthy update, as IMHO the stock Ebonies sound a bit dark, and that's improved with the Dekoni.

Green: Dekoni
Blue: stock TX00 pads

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #261 of 520

Thanks for the info, I almost bought Dekoni pads, the bass in ebony is right now just prefect for me, I want nothing less and nothing more.

He's referring to the MEMORY FOAM ones. Get ones that aren't MEMORY FOAM.

Measurements of the sheep skin and memory foam ones are appreciated. I have the memory foam ones, and I feel they're instant classics. If they truly reduce bass, they might be a great pairing for the Purpleheart.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #262 of 520
He's referring to the MEMORY FOAM ones. Get ones that aren't MEMORY FOAM.

Measurements of the sheep skin and memory foam ones are appreciated. I have the memory foam ones, and I feel they're instant classics. If they truly reduce bass, they might be a great pairing for the Purpleheart.

Thanks for the help guys

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #264 of 520

Yes, I've got the notification, but no attachments with it, and no indication from where it's shipped. Destination greater Hki. I'd expect to receive the data I need for customs clearance, but now I will manage the situation I've got. Anyway it's off-topic. :)

Kantakaupunki here.
I can't even imagine ordering something online, unless I know where it's shipped from :p

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #265 of 520
Again, thank for the help, zolkis and thefitz. I decided to go with ZMF Ori pads after talking to their owner. The Ori pads were purposely designed for similar Fostex headphones with minimal impacts to the sound signature.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #266 of 520
I assume the new ones that just ended on Massdrop right now are different than the Ebony ones this thread are about?  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00 

Wondering if and when the Ebony's would come back - and does anyone know what price they sold at last time?

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #267 of 520
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #268 of 520
I assume the new ones that just ended on Massdrop right now are different than the Ebony ones this thread are about?  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00 

Wondering if and when the Ebony's would come back - and does anyone know what price they sold at last time?

Stock is getting low. They've sold over 500+ of the 1,000-1,500 they will ever make. The other two models will go on for a while. Should be plenty for the next 1-2 drops of they sell similar numbers.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #269 of 520
I find the Massdrop ear pads quite uncomfortable on the long run (after about an hour), it presses on the front part of the ear (tragus) too much. The opening is too narrow. Lawton pads ordered. I will have a plethora of pads to play with: Massdrop, Lawton, Dekoni, Brainwavz, Stax, and Fostex. So far the latter is the best for sound (Dekoni is close), and the Dekoni is the most comfortable by far. I hope the Lawton pads will beat them all, the design looks promising, let's see. I might experiment with replacing the foam in the Dekoni and Brainwavz to normal acoustic foam of different densities, let's see if it improves them. The Ebonies sound best with the modified Fostex pads (with carbon foam filling). The others sound a bit bright and constrained in comparison. 

The Massdrop pads measure well, but my ears have different form than a microphone...

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #270 of 520
I find the Massdrop ear pads quite uncomfortable on the long run (after about an hour), it presses on the front part of the ear (tragus) too much. The opening is too narrow. Lawton pads ordered. I will have a plethora of pads to play with: Massdrop, Lawton, Dekoni, Brainwavz, Stax, and Fostex. So far the latter is the best for sound (Dekoni is close), and the Dekoni is the most comfortable by far. I hope the Lawton pads will beat them all, the design looks promising, let's see. I might experiment with replacing the foam in the Dekoni and Brainwavz to normal acoustic foam of different densities, let's see if it improves them. The Ebonies sound best with the modified Fostex pads (with carbon foam filling). The others sound a bit bright and constrained in comparison. 

The Massdrop pads measure well, but my ears have different form than a microphone...

I look forward to your mod of the Dekoni pads. Measuring a headphone doesn't tell everything. Second harmonics, and how the headphone pad absorbs things doesn't always show up.

I'm hoping to get some impressions of my experience with the Dekoni pads very soon. My ears sweat badly after an hour with the stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back