Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #241 of 520
Here we go. There is no review page for the EB's so I guess I'm just going to dump this here.

Let’s start for from the beginning with these. I ordered these in the second wave off Massdrop. I was actually really unsure about ordering them because I wanted a headphone for pure music but didn’t want something that would kill me with bass. The TH-X00’s other models, the Mahogany and especially the Purpleheart, want to do just that. People don’t seem to be talking much about the Ebony either so review and reading material is limited, possibly because they’re also the most expensive model of the TH-X00 at $500. I gathered what info I could and decided to take the dive on the EB anyway. My expectation was everything that made the TH-X00, but the bass isn’t trying to kill you anymore and some treble peaks that were around for the Mahog and Purples don’t hurt the EB nearly as much. That’s all I had going into this.

One of the biggest points of criticism that I have about the TH-X00 EB’s is that the box they come in is completely and totally ****-tier. The outside is very plain with the Fostex/Massdrop collaboration logo on it, which is fine, but when you open it up the headphones are in there only held in place by a few piece of cardboard while wrapped in some bubble wrap. It actually blew my mind at how crappy these things are packed inside the box. I’m not one to care about the “unboxing experience” but seeing that just felt tragic, especially for something I paid $500 for. I didn’t expect a steel case or something like the Audeze military box but come on! I wish I took pictures. It was bad.

Physically, they’re Fostex. They look like a Fostex headphone. I don’t know what more I can say about that because, at this point, you either know what that means or you don’t and if you don’t, just know it means you’re getting something really well put together but it also comes with a vacuum cleaner cable attached to it. I’ve seen a lot of Fostex headphones through videos but never had one myself until now and they are pretty ace. I don’t even mind the cable that much. It’s ten feet of boat cord but it’s still really flexible loose. If it gets twisted then you’re going to have a time getting it undone but, again, I don’t mind it really. Some people mod the TH-X00 with a removable cable. I might if I ever get into four-pin XLR. The cups are beautiful. I happen to get a pretty bright pair of ebony cups that don’t need a lot of light to see the grain on them. When you do shine some light into them they really come alive. I think this kind of variance among EB’s is pretty neat actually.

Something else people complain about are the stock pads of many Fostex headphones. They’re kind of deceptive. If you put your hand on them they feel like they could squish against your head very easily but they’re pretty stiff when on proper. A lot of people find replacements for them but I don’t have any. I also worry about the sound changes new pads can make, especially since there is some kind of plastic attenuation ring inside the pad of the TH-X00 that affects sound. A lot of people rip these out of the stock and put them in the pads they like but I’d just rather not do that. For me, the pads are a’ight. They’re not great, they’re not awful, and I can still wear the headphones for several hours at a time without complaint.
Lemme get to the important part of the review and talk about sound. I wanna preface this with a big warning to really critical people: this part could suck because I’m not a seasoned headphone person. I have a nice setup, Modi Multibit into Magni 2 Uber, but the best headphones I’ve owned before these are the AKG K7XX’s and they’re very different.

Being of the TH-X00 line, these babies have bass. They have good bass. They have just the right amount of bass before I feel like it would be too much. I don’t consider myself a bass head and, as I said earlier, the EB’s supposedly roll off the bass ever so slightly compared to the Mahog and Purples. If this is the result, I like it. I’ve also read about treble “issues” with the Mahog and Purples that are smoothed out by the EB. I tend to listen to some weird music that has a lot of high noise and distortion and I don’t think it’s ever been unbearable or fatiguing. I can name one song that got a little too up there but that is credit more to the song than the headphones. If I were to try to describe the EB’s as quickly as possible, it’s like a V sound where the mids weren’t moved but the bass was brought UP and the treble was brought up just a tad. It really makes music come alive compared to my K7XX’s. Those are great headphones but they are flat and really good for gaming too. These? All music.

The soundstage on these isn’t the greatest. The vocals are in the center and sound going right into your ears. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just the way these headphones are. One reason I like the K7XX’s is because the soundstage on those is incredible and the imaging is pretty dang good in combination with the Modi Multi. These don’t quite get the benefit of that.

These headphones have also taught me what it’s like to have to drive a headphone. The K7XX’s on the Magni 2 Uber stay at around 10 o’clock on average. Those are a hard 64 ohms to drive. The TH-X00 EB’s are a super easy 25 ohms and don’t even crack 9 o’clock on the Magni if I want them loud. You don’t need massive power for these and I’m sure that is a plus in some people’s eyes.

I’ve listened to a lot of music with these things in the few short days I’ve had them. Mastodon to Tim Hecker, DJ Shadow to Omega Massif, KOAN to Locrian, GosT to Caspian, Death Grips to Deafhaven. They have been really fun headphones and I basically got what I wanted out of them, something just for music that isn’t going to kill me with one kind of overbearing sound. I’m happy with them and hopefully this little bit of extra info about the EB’s specifically will help someone out.

Nice review. I feel the same about so much of it. I need to do a formal review myself. You're right, not much info specific to the Ebony.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #242 of 520
I got these in the mail at work today and unboxed them on the spot. The cups are freaking gorgeous. I had the same concerns about the minimal cardboard clam shell support, but if that saves me some money then so be it. I did however not appreciate the stupid zip tie that was tightly attached to the headband. It did leave an impression in the shape of a tightened zip tie on the headband of my otherwise flawless set of $500 headphones. Go figure.
Ive been listening to these for the last 6 hours since I got home from work and they sound Incredible to me so far. This is exactly the sound I didn't know I was looking for, if that makes any sense. Daft Punk. Damn. I feel like I have truly heard Daft Punk for the first time ever. I found myself enjoying songs I normally skip over.  I can't wait to get more time with these. I would have never Imagined myself spending this much on a set of headphones, but I took a gamble with these and it paid off big time. It makes me curious to see what some of these other flagship models out there sound like, but Ill have to let my wallet recover for a while first.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #243 of 520
Nice review. I feel the same about so much of it. I need to do a formal review myself. You're right, not much info specific to the Ebony.

yeah, I'd do one, but very technically mine aren't Fostex Ebonies, they're Fostex Mahoganies with EMU ebony cups.  Also, I've since done the lawton damping on them, so I'd worry that my review wouldn't be a great reference point for people.  Do wish there was more out there written on these.  It and the EMU Teak are, IMHO, the pinnacle of this design, even above the D7000 (finally got to hear a D7000 head to head against my THX00 and, yeah, I'd take mine every single day, both aesthetically and sonically.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #244 of 520
I was debating writing a formal review since I seem to have quite the infatuation with this particular pair of headphones. Also, I think I'm finally starting to understand audiophile principles and language.

On a side note, one of the oddest things I've done is listen to well-produced music I'm not a huge fan of. It just sounds too damn good through the Fostex biocellulose drivers.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #245 of 520

yeah, I'd do one, but very technically mine aren't Fostex Ebonies, they're Fostex Mahoganies with EMU ebony cups.  Also, I've since done the lawton damping on them, so I'd worry that my review wouldn't be a great reference point for people.  Do wish there was more out there written on these.  It and the EMU Teak are, IMHO, the pinnacle of this design, even above the D7000 (finally got to hear a D7000 head to head against my THX00 and, yeah, I'd take mine every single day, both aesthetically and sonically.

I would really welcome a review on the Mods and Cup changes that people do. I haven't even looked into Lawton damping so I have no idea what it does to the sound. I have read a little about the TH-X00 series, and it is mentioned a few times, but no specifics. It seems like we have a lot of owners who are new to a $500 price point, some jumping from good entry level straight to these, others who have $1000+ headphones. I have a bunch of mid-fi headphones (HD6XX, DT990, AKG 702 65th, H3 IEMS, etc.). I am currently upgrading my front end, and have found a tube amp that I am in love with. The Ebony sound godly through the microZOTL2. Lets get some equipment reviews with these. I am sure they won't pair well with everything, but getting a list of gear that goes well would be a wonderful edition. 

I also just received the Dekoni TH-900 Lambskin pads, which are different in shape. Your entire ear fits inside without tucking your ear into the cup like the stock cups. I hope to do a good comparison between the two very soon. I am currently doing another review that I am trying to wrap up, on the Creative Sound Blaster X7 OP amp swap to Sparkos Labs. 

This isn't a very active thread compared to the general TH-X00 MG and PH. It should be much more active, this is the best of the 3 from everything I have read. Lets fill this thread with reviews of the Ebony as is, with Mods, Pad changes, gear used, and how about good music that we find? Any TH-X00 owner should post, perspective owners etc. These are wonderful headphones, there are literally a set amount of them to own, and they are truly a limited edition that will end production. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #246 of 520
  I was debating writing a formal review since I seem to have quite the infatuation with this particular pair of headphones. Also, I think I'm finally starting to understand audiophile principles and language.

On a side note, one of the oddest things I've done is listen to well-produced music I'm not a huge fan of. It just sounds too damn good through the Fostex biocellulose drivers.

Please give us a review! Fanboys welcome!!! 

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #247 of 520
  I would really welcome a review on the Mods and Cup changes that people do. I haven't even looked into Lawton damping so I have no idea what it does to the sound. I have read a little about the TH-X00 series, and it is mentioned a few times, but no specifics. It seems like we have a lot of owners who are new to a $500 price point, some jumping from good entry level straight to these, others who have $1000+ headphones. I have a bunch of mid-fi headphones (HD6XX, DT990, AKG 702 65th, H3 IEMS, etc.). I am currently upgrading my front end, and have found a tube amp that I am in love with. The Ebony sound godly through the microZOTL2. Lets get some equipment reviews with these. I am sure they won't pair well with everything, but getting a list of gear that goes well would be a wonderful edition. 

I also just received the Dekoni TH-900 Lambskin pads, which are different in shape. Your entire ear fits inside without tucking your ear into the cup like the stock cups. I hope to do a good comparison between the two very soon. I am currently doing another review that I am trying to wrap up, on the Creative Sound Blaster X7 OP amp swap to Sparkos Labs. 

This isn't a very active thread compared to the general TH-X00 MG and PH. It should be much more active, this is the best of the 3 from everything I have read. Lets fill this thread with reviews of the Ebony as is, with Mods, Pad changes, gear used, and how about good music that we find? Any TH-X00 owner should post, perspective owners etc. These are wonderful headphones, there are literally a set amount of them to own, and they are truly a limited edition that will end production. 

The good news amp wise is that the amp requirements/synergies are more or less indifferentiable from the other variants; so if something is a known good match with the mahogany and/or purpleheart, it will almost certainly be a good match with the ebony.  I love my m9XX with mine.

Lawton damping mostly just reduces the ringing a bit, giving it a faster decay in the impulse response and cleaning things up a bit.  It also flattens the frequency response a tiny amount, and removes some high order distortion.  It's a very subtle improvement, but to me at least, a totally positive improvement.  It's a small amount less harsh, faster and tighter with the lawton damping.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #248 of 520
The good news amp wise is that the amp requirements/synergies are more or less indifferentiable from the other variants; so if something is a known good match with the mahogany and/or purpleheart, it will almost certainly be a good match with the ebony.  I love my m9XX with mine.

Lawton damping mostly just reduces the ringing a bit, giving it a faster decay in the impulse response and cleaning things up a bit.  It also flattens the frequency response a tiny amount, and removes some high order distortion.  It's a very subtle improvement, but to me at least, a totally positive improvement.  It's a small amount less harsh, faster and tighter with the lawton damping.

Where is the best place to read about and buy the Lawton upgrade? Subtle or not, small differences can add up throughout the chain. The X7 with Sparkos OP Amps is also a subtle, but noticeable upgrade. On certain songs, like 'Hotel California' live, the imaging and clarity just go to another level. The instruments sound 3D, and the Enony with their smaller soundstage, really put you into the performance.

The Sparkos just clean everything up from top to bottom. It isn't a different sound per say, just everything is cleaner, faster, holographic. I really want a great DAC now, so I'm on the hunt for a DAC only design, Bimby being the leader so far. It is early though, and I'm open to suggestions. Love this hobby, so much fun trying new things out.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #249 of 520
Where is the best place to read about and buy the Lawton upgrade? Subtle or not, small differences can add up throughout the chain. The X7 with Sparkos OP Amps is also a subtle, but noticeable upgrade. On certain songs, like 'Hotel California' live, the imaging and clarity just go to another level. The instruments sound 3D, and the Enony with their smaller soundstage, really put you into the performance.

The Sparkos just clean everything up from top to bottom. It isn't a different sound per say, just everything is cleaner, faster, holographic. I really want a great DAC now, so I'm on the hunt for a DAC only design, Bimby being the leader so far. It is early though, and I'm open to suggestions. Love this hobby, so much fun trying new things out.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostextune-up.html

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #251 of 520
I just created one for a review I may write in the future.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #252 of 520
I've got my Ebonies finally, after staying 10 days in the customs. It's funny I had to pay import taxes+VAT... the headphone was dispatched from Germany, but the price was in USD. Then, the papers were all fishy, like the 6.3-3.5 jack adapter price is $250 and the headphone costs the same, $250... On the other invoice you have the total value of $500. So you get 2 invoices with the package, but I've got no online invoice after the drop (only a PayPal notice) that I could use for customs clearance. All the papers were included in the package which I can't access until I invented some customs declaration in order to get the package... Without knowing in advance the country of origin, I had to assume USA (same as the currency paid). Now I have to make an appeal that according to the papers inside I didn't have to pay customs. So it's all mixed up, and I'll probably skip Massdrop after this experience.

Then, the packaging quality is a far cry worse than Fostex TH900 and TH610.

Turning to the good side. The ebony cups are beautiful, and I've got a very nicely textured pair, almost completely black (black from the distance and very dark, textured brownish black in close-up). They are beautiful. Lawton charges more than the price of the TX00 for the aftermade wooden cups alone. Looks like it's cheaper to get the Massdrop (and keeping it as a second headphone for work or travel) than ordering a pair of wooden cups for the TH900 - though the Lawton cups are presumably bigger and may sound (even) better.

Compared to the TH900 Urushi cups, the ebonies are 2-3 times heavier. Also, they don't exhibit the 3 kHz ridge on the CSD that the Urushi cups do without damping.
No wonder that Massdrop didn't use any damping in the cups. Both the TH900 and the TH610 have polyfill damping in the cups (and about 25-30% too much of it).
The Urushi pads sound more open though (the perception is perhaps also due to more resonances). With the damping they need (either polyfill or Twaron Angelhair), the end result is quite close, but the Urushi cups have larger sound stage
Also, the sound of the ebonies is likely going to improve with time, as the wood dries out more and more. There is audible difference between the cups, but the difference in measurements are minor (FR nearly the same, distortion distribution is slightly different in the bass region, CSD very slightly cleaner with the ebonies).

The Massdrop ear pads are less comfortable than the original Fostex pads, but measure better. Actually the slight measurement improvements of the Massdrop TX00 (on the 500-800 Hz notch, and taming the treble) are mainly due to the pads, not the cups. 

I have measured the TH900 with the TX00 pads and it has improved there too: less notches, much less treble spike, more dynamic sound - but more constrained sound stage as well. The truth is likely somewhere between, and I start to think the Lawton pads make sense (though I don't know what filling they use). I will need to try them as well.

I have also tried the Dekoni TH900 sheep skin pads on the TX00. I fully recommend them, and they sound better on the TX00 than on the TH900. However, I need to make feedback to Dekoni audio (and to Brainwavz as well) to NOT use memory foam in ear pads, as it reduces the bass too much. It's pity since the Dekoni sheep skin pads are by far the best quality ear pads I've seen for Fostex, and the price is fair.

I have listened to the drivers without the cups and the same ear pads. The TH900 drivers sounded more open and more dynamic, but keep in mind the TX00 drivers were not burned in at all.

I have made a series of measurements (basically they are very similar to the ones published so far by others), but I will repeat them once the TX00 are burned in. I guess that would take at least a month or two.

In summary, IMHO this is the best TX00 so far, but TH900 owners should not worry (for time being).

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #253 of 520
I've got my Ebonies finally, after staying 10 days in the customs. It's funny I had to pay import taxes+VAT... the headphone was dispatched from Germany, but the price was in USD. Then, the papers were all fishy, like the 6.3-3.5 jack adapter price is $250 and the headphone costs the same, $250... On the other invoice you have the total value of $500. So you get 2 invoices with the package, but I've got no online invoice after the drop (only a PayPal notice) that I could use for customs clearance. All the papers were included in the package which I can't access until I invented some customs declaration in order to get the package... Without knowing in advance the country of origin, I had to assume USA (same as the currency paid). Now I have to make an appeal that according to the papers inside I didn't have to pay customs. So it's all mixed up, and I'll probably skip Massdrop after this experience.

Then, the packaging quality is a far cry worse than Fostex TH900 and TH610.

Turning to the good side. The ebony cups are beautiful, and I've got a very nicely textured pair, almost completely black (black from the distance and very dark, textured brownish black in close-up). They are beautiful. Lawton charges more than the price of the TX00 for the aftermade wooden cups alone. Looks like it's cheaper to get the Massdrop (and keeping it as a second headphone for work or travel) than ordering a pair of wooden cups for the TH900 - though the Lawton cups are presumably bigger and may sound (even) better.

Compared to the TH900 Urushi cups, the ebonies are 2-3 times heavier. Also, they don't exhibit the 3 kHz ridge on the CSD that the Urushi cups do without damping.
No wonder that Massdrop didn't use any damping in the cups. Both the TH900 and the TH610 have polyfill damping in the cups (and about 25-30% too much of it).
The Urushi pads sound more open though (the perception is perhaps also due to more resonances). With the damping they need (either polyfill or Twaron Angelhair), the end result is quite close, but the Urushi cups have larger sound stage
Also, the sound of the ebonies is likely going to improve with time, as the wood dries out more and more. There is audible difference between the cups, but the difference in measurements are minor (FR nearly the same, distortion distribution is slightly different in the bass region, CSD very slightly cleaner with the ebonies).

The Massdrop ear pads are less comfortable than the original Fostex pads, but measure better. Actually the slight measurement improvements of the Massdrop TX00 (on the 500-800 Hz notch, and taming the treble) are mainly due to the pads, not the cups. 

I have measured the TH900 with the TX00 pads and it has improved there too: less notches, much less treble spike, more dynamic sound - but more constrained sound stage as well. The truth is likely somewhere between, and I start to think the Lawton pads make sense (though I don't know what filling they use). I will need to try them as well.

I have also tried the Dekoni TH900 sheep skin pads on the TX00. I fully recommend them, and they sound better on the TX00 than on the TH900. However, I need to make feedback to Dekoni audio (and to Brainwavz as well) to NOT use memory foam in ear pads, as it reduces the bass too much. It's pity since the Dekoni sheep skin pads are by far the best quality ear pads I've seen for Fostex, and the price is fair.

I have listened to the drivers without the cups and the same ear pads. The TH900 drivers sounded more open and more dynamic, but keep in mind the TX00 drivers were not burned in at all.

I have made a series of measurements (basically they are very similar to the ones published so far by others), but I will repeat them once the TX00 are burned in. I guess that would take at least a month or two.

In summary, IMHO this is the best TX00 so far, but TH900 owners should not worry (for time being).

Did u say Dekoni pads reduce bass compare to stock pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back