MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by seeteeyou, Feb 8, 2015.
First

Back
1 2 3
  1. Overkill Red
    Just wondering if anyone has any impressions of the 404 with a set of modded/unmodded HD800s?
    I need a portable solution for the HD800s as I don't have enough fixed room on my desk, and the 404 is on my shortlist (trying to source a used one actually)

2. mrmax

Did you mean HD800 or HD800S? I have the latter and i think the 404 is the best portable/transportable amp for it. Very transparent and powerful. Of course a full on desktop amp is better but for the past 2--3 years (yes, i did try it using HD800 non-S) no portable solution has come close to it. Be sure your source is good though since IME, a poor source feeding the 404 will sound poorly with the HD800.

Overkill Red likes this.
  3. Overkill Red

Hey, sorry I meant the HD800.
    My current situation doesn't let me keep a full on desktop amplifier as I keep moving between residences, so I was looking for a really great transportable.

I'll be using either a modded AK240SS or a Chord Hugo or both, so I should be alright on the source department!

Currently trying to source one used, I've also emailed Mass Kobo but I'm not sure how good their English is..

4. mrmax

I think masuda san knows a bit of english as i saw some posts from his personal fb in english.

Good luck.

5. zachchen1996
    I'm selling my mass kobo 404 if anyone is interested! :)

(sorry for the shameless plug lol)

6. audionewbi
  7. Meowheng
  8. mrmax
    Saw this a couple of months ago.

Nordost are expensive, honestly haven’t heard one yet. The opamp, i’ve always wanted to try as the stock is ne5532 i think.

I’m really curious as well.

9. audionewbi
    Time to contact the designer, if I do hear back I will post.

Mass kobo 404 was always in my buy list however like the tera player missed out on the initial price deal.

10. rq1111
    I had tried Mass Kobo 404 with HD800S but I prefer Hugo 1. Hugo is better than Mojo and 404. Mojo will sounds sibilance while Hugo smooth high treble and airy too.

11. john1711
  12. audionewbi
    Mass Kobo 424 is due soon,anyone excited?

First

Back
1 2 3