Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6,153 of 6,782
  If you have the receipt, replacement earpads are free under warranty.  Otherwise, $13 each, with a minimum $13 shipping fee.

Thank you. 

I went to MartinLogan.com and registered my 2 units and contact waranty support. Glad you guys pushed me because I noticed earphones have 1 year waranty and mine were bought on 02/06/2014 haha.
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #6,155 of 6,782
I currently have the Mikros 90 and I enjoy the sound very much, but would like a little more comfort, I was wondering how the ATH ES700 from Audio Technica stacks up to the mikros 90? What I like about the Mikros is the clairity of them as well as highs, but the comfort is wearing thin on me, I will never part with them, but would those ES700's be a big downgrade?

Thanks

James M

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #6,156 of 6,782
How do you gain access to the circuits on the back of the drivers?

The circuit board pcb setup is only in the one side, but pull off the pads then open the baffles up. The screws can be a bit tight to crack so use the right size bit and pressure to get in there. If you do that they should be readily available for access.

I find the comfort issue to me anyhow is due the the limited swivel of the cups, still not gotten around to shaving or grinding off a bit more angle on the stopper to let them fit better, but when I do will post pictures.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,157 of 6,782
I currently have the Mikros 90 and I enjoy the sound very much, but would like a little more comfort, I was wondering how the ATH ES700 from Audio Technica stacks up to the mikros 90? What I like about the Mikros is the clairity of them as well as highs, but the comfort is wearing thin on me, I will never part with them, but would those ES700's be a big downgrade?

Thanks

James M

if u read the first post of this thread...the pads on the es700 is kinda shallow?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,159 of 6,782
Well, I am wondering if the sound quality is anywhere near the Mikros 90? If anyone had an opinion on this. The fit for me is an issue, but I wanted to try the ES700 in order to see if they felt better on MY ears. If so, how much of a ding am I taking for the sake of comfort? So SQ Mikros 90 vs. ES700. How close is this comparrison?

Thanks,

James

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #6,160 of 6,782
  The circuit board pcb setup is only in the one side, but pull off the pads then open the baffles up. The screws can be a bit tight to crack so use the right size bit and pressure to get in there. If you do that they should be readily available for access.

I find the comfort issue to me anyhow is due the the limited swivel of the cups, still not gotten around to shaving or grinding off a bit more angle on the stopper to let them fit better, but when I do will post pictures.

Thats not wat i mean.  Theres a casing protection the circuits on both sides.  The cables go through there.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #6,161 of 6,782
I'm sorry if this has been posted previously but I wanted to share a little mod I did. Like many people I had a problem of the earcups sliding forwards. So when on the move I had to use the headphones reversed. Also the adjusting mechanism started to get loose. Every time I took of the headphones sliderbar wen't completely inside the headband and so always have to adjust the headphones when I put them back on. It's a pain with a position sensitive headphones like these.

I took out the screws on the silver ring that says martin logan and also the top one with ce marking. Underneath the lower ring there is a piece of black plastic which controls the tightness of the cups rotation. I put one layer of electric tape around it and put the silver ring back.  The screw will go right through the tape into the hole so don't worry about it. Now the cups sit still on my ears without me having to wear the headphones reversed anymore. 

Fixing the slider issue is bit trickier. You have to pull the slider out of the headband. It might feel it doesn't come out but it will. There is no stopper inside the headband that breaks if you pull the slider out. Atleast I noticed none. I thin the silver ring is the only thing stopping the slider from popping out so once it is removed the slider can be pulled out. You have to be really carefull when pulling the slider out. I accidently disconnected the cables from the solder joints when the slider popped out of the headband. I had to open the cup and solder the wires back in...

Once you get the slider out you see a black plastic part at the top of the slider bar. Once again, one layer of electric tape over it. Push the slider back in and attach the silver ring. This makes the slider mechanism stiffer.

I wish I had taken pictures when I did this. I don't wan't to take the headphones apart again for that because the screws got pretty worn out when I did it. Screwdriver I used wasn't a perfect fit. Hopefully this explanation made some sense as it is.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6,162 of 6,782
Your description of the inner construction sounds positively cheesy.
Glad to hear that someone finally tackled the "flip-off-your-ears" problem, though.
beerchug.gif

Between the Oppo PM-1, the AKG K812, the Stax SR-507 and the Martin Logan Mikros 90, I enjoy the Mikros 90 the most.  Always a balanced, detailed and musical listening experience with the MLs.  They continue to perform WAY BEYOND their price point--MSRP included--while the others . . . well . . .  lie tucked away in their boxes.

Enjoying some old Cat Stevens with Stock Pair #2, Teds UPOCC silver recable, headphone out from the Linn Intek, Neotech UPOCC interconnects, IeGo power cords and the Denon DVD-1940CI set to "Pure Direct" mode.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,163 of 6,782
havent touched mine for ages...all becos of the mt220...:p
Ya mikros is amazing still...notwithstanding the lack of airtime.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6,164 of 6,782

Between the Oppo PM-1, the AKG K812, the Stax SR-507 and the Martin Logan Mikros 90, I enjoy the Mikros 90 the most.

what What WHAT?  Are you kidding?  O_O

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #6,165 of 6,782

Users who are viewing this thread

Back