Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 12, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #6,181 of 6,783
apologies...this is afterall the mikro90thread,
since we are family, and with no new mikros100 in sight.. 
(everyone here has stocked up enuf mikros90sss i trust...)
 any new possibility of discovering a new planet to call 2ndhome is fair exercise :

=============================================================

Quote:
  The MT220 have just too much lower-mid bass emphasis for me.  Do not find them sibilant--at least not on my office rig with a 24/196 DVD-Audio disc of Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" playing.
Mikros 90 STILL RULE!  And the MLs have never sounded SSSibilant to me.
Thank you, Mr. Martin Logan, for a . . . F . . . I . . . N . . . E . . .  set of cans!!!

ok, wonderful, now that u have the basic yammie...which is a good thing( :p )

u need to distant the drivers a little from the ears, to cure the  "just too much lower mid bass"

post #519

=======

the headband cushion a problem??  
http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/make-hair-grow-faster.html

=======

spent the last hour swapping in extention cables that i had from mikrosdays...
( one from Pro900, one bought from Nuforce )
and swapping around the usbcables from my Fiio E18 and external hddisk,
( cabledyne usb and an Audioquest Forest usb )
must say that this yammie is v suceptible to diff/better cables in your arsenal..
a v transparent can.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #6,182 of 6,783
  Mikros 90 STILL RULE! 

Good bye K812.  They never had a chance. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,183 of 6,783

ok, wonderful, now that u have the basic yammie...which is a good thing( :p )

u need to distant the drivers a little from the ears, to cure the  "just too much lower mid bass"

post #519

=======

the headband cushion a problem??  
http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/make-hair-grow-faster.html

=======

spent the last hour swapping in extention cables that i had from mikrosdays...
( one from Pro900, one bought from Nuforce )
and swapping around the usbcables from my Fiio E18 and external hddisk,
( cabledyne usb and an Audioquest Forest usb )
must say that this yammie is v suceptible to diff/better cables in your arsenal..
a v transparent can.

A new planet for Mikros-hypers in intergalactic exile.  : )

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,184 of 6,783
hi patabard,

this vid to bring your mikros into another realm..
https://youtu.be/6TMVTqwbprM

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,185 of 6,783
  hi patabard,

this vid to bring your mikros into another realm..
https://youtu.be/6TMVTqwbprM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m_sWJQm2fs&list=PLWlSPrLOPCgptF24tktcnpwY1oWq4Rb-U&index=2

try this too Pata

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6,189 of 6,783
BTW, I began a/b-ing the MT220 and the Mikros 90.
Will try to post some notes soon.
Both sound very good amped with the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 hybrid with 1xGE6SN7GTA and 2xRussian Analogue 6H8C.
Preliminary results give the edge to the Mikros 90,
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #6,191 of 6,783
Sounds great straight out of the computer with the Spacey/Bassy modded Mikros 90, too.
Thank you, Cagin--is that pronounced with a "hard" G or a "soft" G?
hmm most of the English speaking persons I met pronounced it 'kay gin' (kajin). The proper Turkish spelling of my name is Çağın though. It's pronounced 'tcha inn/nun'. The I without the dot is a sound not included in English, it sounds in between I and U.

The G without the smile is pronounced like in the word gut, yet the g with the smile like in my name is silent, with the vowel preceding it lingering.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,192 of 6,783
I wish they weren't so damn ugly as I do want them as a portable, but seriously, the looks. Can these still be purchased anywhere? Even if ugly they are worth having by the sounds of this thread. I liked the KEF M500 and if this best that headphone as much as you people say, well that is excellent. I have an HE 560 and I can't imagine that on any planet a properly driven HE-6 can be bested by the Mikros. The HE-6 really needs a speaker amp. Anyway, seriously, can these still be found anywhere?

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #6,193 of 6,783
  I wish they weren't so damn ugly as I do want them as a portable, but seriously, the looks. Can these still be purchased anywhere? Even if ugly they are worth having by the sounds of this thread. I liked the KEF M500 and if this best that headphone as much as you people say, well that is excellent. I have an HE 560 and I can't imagine that on any planet a properly driven HE-6 can be bested by the Mikros. The HE-6 really needs a speaker amp. Anyway, seriously, can these still be found anywhere?

It definitely bests them for value but in terms of sound quality i think it depends on your preferences. The kefs are much more comfortable with more of a U shaped signature and definitely look better. The mikros 90s are more neutral and airy souding. I really like both in regards to sound but would choose the m500s for their comfort.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #6,194 of 6,783

As chailee80 observes, it is a matter of personal preference--as has certainly been my case.  And, to a certain extent, "luck-of-the-draw" plays a role, given the variability inherent among the Mikros 90.

For me, it was no contest between the Mikros 90 and the KEF M500.

After over a year of enjoying the HE-6--and I did enjoy them, immensely, with a Teds Headfood UPOCC silver recable, driven directly by the 100WPC Qinpu A-1.0X or the 60WPC Linn Intek--I opted into the Mikros 90 because the HE-6's treble had begun to sound unnatural to my ears: they seemed to have a "tizzy" and unmusical outline to their high frequencies that I could not tolerate after a while.

I just sold my AKG K812, too, fine as they were, but still own and enjoy the Mikros 90.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #6,195 of 6,783
  As chailee80 observes, it is a matter of personal preference--as has certainly been my case.  And, to a certain extent, "luck-of-the-draw" plays a role, given the variability inherent among the Mikros 90.

For me, it was no contest between the Mikros 90 and the KEF M500.

After over a year of enjoying the HE-6--and I did enjoy them, immensely, with a Teds Headfood UPOCC silver recable, driven directly by the 100WPC Qinpu A-1.0X or the 60WPC Linn Intek--I opted into the Mikros 90 because the HE-6's treble had begun to sound unnatural to my ears: they seemed to have a "tizzy" and unmusical outline to their high frequencies that I could not tolerate after a while.

I just sold my AKG K812, too, fine as they were, but still own and enjoy the Mikros 90.

Well, I will admit I can't conceive of feeling that way myself, but I have to acknowledge that it is possibly for a sound signature to be so perfect for somebody that everything else just seems to not be as enjoyable. For me small drivers will always sound small and can't convey any real sense of scale and as such they sound like little windows into the music. I'm sure there is a diminishing point of return, but when all else is equal in terms of a design and the amplification, larger drivers always sound more realistic to me, offering more believable scale. I have had my share of 40mm drivers, some quite excellent, but they always feel small which is ultimately to my ears somewhat un-natural.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how such tiny drivers can convey realism the way you seem to perceive them. Regardless, there is no right or wrong, just personal preference. Thanks for letting me know. I drive my 560s directly from the speaker terminals of my NAD M3 and it seems to be well excepted that with the HE 6, this is the way to go. I don't think that matters mind you as how you describe things suggest you are quite sensitive to high frequencies which seems to suggest the Mikros is rolled off just enough to remove the edge for you. Glad you found such a sonic match for your auditory brain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back