Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #6,196 of 6,783
I am not overly-sensitive to high frequencies; in fact, I have always tended to enjoy traditionally "bright" headphones, and always with silver recable.  
The Mikros 90 are not rolled off in the HF IMHO.  [Now the LCD 2.2 ARE hopelessly rolled off in the treble.]
The HE-6 have an unnatural--not intolerably bright-- treble to my ears.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,200 of 6,783
  How do they compare to the Creative Aurvana Live when both run unamped?

I can't give you a proper comparison because I sold my cal! before I got Mikros. But I can tell you that I would have never sold cal! if it had impressed me as much as mikros do. Not that creatives are bad...far from it, but those are just another good headphone for the price. Mikros with a discounted price are best bang for the buck I know of, amped or unamped.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,201 of 6,783

I can't give you a proper comparison because I sold my cal! before I got Mikros. But I can tell you that I would have never sold cal! if it had impressed me as much as mikros do. Not that creatives are bad...far from it, but those are just another good headphone for the price. Mikros with a discounted price are best bang for the buck I know of, amped or unamped.

What had you more impressed with the Mikros than the CAL! did?

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,202 of 6,783
Like I said, I can't go into specifics because I didn't own both headphones at the same time and it has been a long time since I had the cal!'s. Cal! is a good headphone with a fun sound that is easy to enjoy. I also feel the same way about Mikros but in addition Mikros have the ability to dig deeper into the music. Mikros have the speed, detail and imaging of a more expensive headphone. Bass is well in control and timbre sounds right to my ears. In comparison cal! is just a fun headphone with less refined qualities. That is atleast how I remember cal!. Cal!'s are more comfortable but are quite fragile. Mikros have comfort issues but are more durable, except for the pads that might break quite easily.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #6,203 of 6,783
  Which headphone sounds better WITHOUT an amp/DAC, the stock Mikros 90 or the Yamaha MT220? Can you please give me a comparison when both run unamped?

I would have to give the nod to the Mikros 90 for better balance, better extension and all-around more "natural" sounding versus the MT220, either amped or unamped.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,204 of 6,783
  I would have to give the nod to the Mikros 90 for better balance, better extension and all-around more "natural" sounding versus the MT220, either amped or unamped.

How do you find their soundstage/imaging/instrument separation for gaming unmodded and unamped vs the Yamahas unmodded and unamped?

I'm saying unmodded, because on your profile I saw that you modded your Mikros 90..

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #6,205 of 6,783
  How do you find their soundstage/imaging/instrument separation for gaming unmodded and unamped vs the Yamahas unmodded and unamped?

I'm saying unmodded, because on your profile I saw that you modded your Mikros 90..

The MT220 are going to be tough to beat based solely on soundstage/imaging/instrument separation.
But for shear musicality, naturalness of presentation and fidelity to the source, I still prefer the Mikros 90 [unmodded].

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,206 of 6,783
enjoying the mikros right this moment...
a very polished sound,

3 dimensional...( listening to the Ultrasone test cd )

the best...

portable

kind of sound ..

haaaa

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #6,207 of 6,783
I never got a response from ML customer service about my busted pad. Warranty period ended. I gave my spare unit still sealed to a colleague of mine that leaving for a long stay in New York. If she'd find a biographical book on Harriet Tubman that'd be all the payment I'd want. Unfortunately within 2 days of use her own Mkiros' pad seam went bust :deadhorse:

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,208 of 6,783
which part of the seam was busted...as in TORN? 

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,209 of 6,783
which part of the seam was busted...as in TORN? 

So had these ATH-ES7 pads on them but they aren't good. Too big for the Mikros and bad seal, plus they aren't much comfy either.:confused_face:

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,210 of 6,783
ooh....wow...

i normally pinch the edge of the pad off the rim ..before i pull it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back