Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,221 of 6,783
All the Beyers need tubes...and all the cans in the world need tubes..:p

When i had the Dt880/600ohms, it sounded quite balanced and if u love listening to an orchestra from further away the stage,
with a broadish overall sense, then it is quite good, on its own.

But if u put on the T1 immediately after that, then u will know where the T1 excels in...
i could read the brand label of the drumsticks that is being used on a T1,
and whether the violinist is scratching his left or right foot :p
Tesla drivers are CLARION. It calls on u to LISTEN to the music.
( the pads affect the sense of bass on the T1 too...lost track of what i last put on it..lolz need to go to my "warehouse" to verify)
On some tube combination, i swear the T1 is holographic. Let me see whats the combo...scratching my head.

But this is way too much trouble...
just put the Mikros on the head, with an ipad...and it is quite holographic too. 
And u can have coffee at Mcdonalds at the same time.
( no tubes needed..:p)

May 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5,222 of 6,783
Damn you and your tesla talk. You makin' me want them T1's!

May 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #5,223 of 6,783
Mine finally arrived!! Not much to say though until I have burned them in. All I can say now is that I feel like I am hearing a veil of sorts - I'm not sure if it is something that is happening because I have an improper fit of the pads of if it is a headphone. I feel like the pads are somehow blocking or hindering this headphone from singing properly.

BTW the bass is more than sufficient and the highs are enjoyable already this early.

Edit: Also want to add, with the cups being so small and the pads so deep and soft, it's kinda like having a ball shaped thingy on your ear, these pads are really weird - good thing I got some bose pads for experimentation! :D

May 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #5,224 of 6,783
Okay so this thread has left me rather confused as to whether or not I should get these.
I love the sound of my GR07 mkII's but want to get a headphone so this looks like a good option plus it's really cheap at the moment.
But I listen to post hardcore and metalcore so even though everything I have is in FLAC I'm worried that these might be too revealing for my music (I highly doubt the recording quality of my music is great). Also i currently don't have any amps and can't seem to find a way to get any of the cable upgrades mentioned so again I'm unsure if this is the right phone to look at (although I could get an e17 pretty easily).
Any opinions? 

Thanks.

May 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,225 of 6,783
So after a fun workday of mostly mikros auditioning with my portable rig, which is a hifimediy sabre dac and a cmoy amp.

This is the best bass I have ever heard, it is perfect in quantity, it is extremely detailed, it is absolutely stunning, I currently hear it very well around 25hz, maybe it will extend lower with burn in. They somehow still feel just a smidgeon veiled on some tracks while others are the exact opposite - may have to do with where in the mids frequency the songs are dominant. As my head gets used to them, they have started to grow (they feel bigger). Some tracks are absolutely stunning, they sound so musical. I previously had problems with some older jazz tracks not sounding good on my takstars as the highs on those sound somewhat veiled, I have completely rediscovered those songs, they sound like I never heard them before on those mikros.

They also resolve pretty much anything. Extremely fun to be hearing details my other headphones have not presented me with - and I'm not coming from trashy gear either - until now my best headphone was a takstar pro80 with an aune x1 dac/amp to power them. It's now like I'm coming from apple earbuds and saying that I'm hearing new details, I'm coming from a headphone that is considered an extremely respectable budget option on here.

They sound extremely sibilant with this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-UJoY5WP5s&list=PL50E33D9874DB3E40 however that is the only time I have ever noticed sibilance.

Last but not least, I guess I'm one of the fewer ones to say this, but I like the comfort a lot. They are much much better than my ha-s400 with akg pads. I can't stand the s400s for longer than 10 minutes but these have yet to bother me at all, despite the clamping force.

May 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #5,226 of 6,783
robakri...u have been inducted to the inncer council of the Hype Committee...welcum !

Okay so this thread has left me rather confused as to whether or not I should get these.
I love the sound of my GR07 mkII's but want to get a headphone so this looks like a good option plus it's really cheap at the moment.
But I listen to post hardcore and metalcore so even though everything I have is in FLAC I'm worried that these might be too revealing for my music (I highly doubt the recording quality of my music is great). Also i currently don't have any amps and can't seem to find a way to get any of the cable upgrades mentioned so again I'm unsure if this is the right phone to look at (although I could get an e17 pretty easily).
Any opinions? 

Thanks.

i use the mikros with an IPAD or just a fone...dun worry...it works just as well..v easy to power the Mikros...
and u can still get a 3D sound...reasonably well.

May 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,227 of 6,783
Any opinions? 

Thanks.

The Mikros 90 will render the most from your sources.  
Mine usually run topped out with my best source gear and cable.  But straight out of my laptop they sound exceptional, too.
I have been listening to mine regularly, and essentially exclusively, for seven months now and they never fail to bring me something fresh and engaging every time.

May 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,228 of 6,783

Indeed! They suck out every last bit of goodness out of the Colorfly C3 / C&C BH combo. And with the BH's bass/treble booster and soundstage booster voodoo switches on, the Mikros are otherworldly good! 

May 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,229 of 6,783
U two better hype up this portcan...otherwise u won't get your turkey ham sandwiches this weekend:)

May 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5,230 of 6,783
  So after a fun workday of mostly mikros auditioning with my portable rig, which is a hifimediy sabre dac and a cmoy amp.

This is the best bass I have ever heard, it is perfect in quantity, it is extremely detailed, it is absolutely stunning, I currently hear it very well around 25hz, maybe it will extend lower with burn in. They somehow still feel just a smidgeon veiled on some tracks while others are the exact opposite - may have to do with where in the mids frequency the songs are dominant. As my head gets used to them, they have started to grow (they feel bigger). Some tracks are absolutely stunning, they sound so musical. I previously had problems with some older jazz tracks not sounding good on my takstars as the highs on those sound somewhat veiled, I have completely rediscovered those songs, they sound like I never heard them before on those mikros.

They also resolve pretty much anything. Extremely fun to be hearing details my other headphones have not presented me with - and I'm not coming from trashy gear either - until now my best headphone was a takstar pro80 with an aune x1 dac/amp to power them. It's now like I'm coming from apple earbuds and saying that I'm hearing new details, I'm coming from a headphone that is considered an extremely respectable budget option on here.

They sound extremely sibilant with this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-UJoY5WP5s&list=PL50E33D9874DB3E40 however that is the only time I have ever noticed sibilance.

Last but not least, I guess I'm one of the fewer ones to say this, but I like the comfort a lot. They are much much better than my ha-s400 with akg pads. I can't stand the s400s for longer than 10 minutes but these have yet to bother me at all, despite the clamping force.

After 50 hours of use they will start to open up.  At around 200 hours they will be fully broken in and they will sound even better. 

May 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,231 of 6,783
Mine usually run topped out with my best source gear and cable.  But straight out of my laptop they sound exceptional, too.
I have been listening to mine regularly, and essentially exclusively, for seven months now and they never fail to bring me something fresh and engaging every time.

Because of the price (and all your hype) I'm extremely tempted to get these. If I do, would it be worth getting an amp/DAC (thinking FiiO E7) or should a new cable be the main focus? I am planning on using this mainly at home.

May 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,232 of 6,783
Because of the price (and all your hype) I'm extremely tempted to get these. If I do, would it be worth getting an amp/DAC (thinking FiiO E7) or should a new cable be the main focus? I am planning on using this mainly at home.

I personally would just stick with the stock cable (at least it sounds good to me). I know one can spend lots of $$$ on cables and interconnects, but I'm not there yet.

What is your source (or sources)?

If you are listening off of your computer, then a dac and amp (or dac/amp) would be a good idea. I'm not familiar with the Fiio E7, so I will let someone else comment on it. 
Off of my laptop, I use a $42 HifimeDIY sabre dac which I've been very happy with. I have two amps, a Fiio E12 (v1) which is quite powerful and good for power hungry headphones, and a C&C BH amp which is amazing for IEMs and closed portable headphones like the Mikros (nicely opens up their soundstage). 

May 14, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #5,233 of 6,783

I personally would just stick with the stock cable (at least it sounds good to me). I know one can spend lots of $$$ on cables and interconnects, but I'm not there yet.

What is your source (or sources)?

If you are listening off of your computer, then a dac and amp (or dac/amp) would be a good idea. I'm not familiar with the Fiio E7, so I will let someone else comment on it. 
Off of my laptop, I use a $42 HifimeDIY sabre dac which I've been very happy with. I have two amps, a Fiio E12 (v1) which is quite powerful and good for power hungry headphones, and a C&C BH amp which is amazing for IEMs and closed portable headphones like the Mikros (nicely opens up their soundstage). 

My sources will be an iPod video (rockboxed), iPod touch 3rd gen and my laptop (will almost always be used with this). Is it worth getting both an amp and DAC?

May 14, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #5,234 of 6,783
If you don't have a dedicated DAC for your laptop, definitely look at that. You don't have to go fancy - the ELE DAC is great for computer use, has amplification built-in and is cheap as chips. The Logans have sounded great off of my iPad. If you have the spare cash, better DACs and amps are always available, but the ELE is good on a tight budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back