Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #5,191 of 6,783
chandy...do u have any extention cable lying around from your previous/other cans? 
if u do, try connecting the stockMikros cable onto the extention cable...n give it a listen. 
see if u get any "better" sound ..

Unfortunately I do not :frowning2:..... But I've got some 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cables on the way from monoprice, I'll check them to see if they fair better than the stock cable. The stock cable is fine with my phone though, I can insert the jack all the way in and the sound is 'full'. I have a few other 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapters lying around, I should try them.

May 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #5,192 of 6,783
Those dt1350 sound like they're great cans, but I assume you're not getting the same kind of discount on them as the Mikros? I'm not prepared to drop that kinda bob on headphones at this time, but maybe further along the line :).

I'm glad you find the Mikros comfy, Johan. I kind of wonder at how sensitive people must be to find these so terribly uncomfortable. Like Wayne says, bending them to the point that they feel like they'll snap before putting them on works a treat as well. Just give the tubes some support while bending the thinner band in the headband, otherwise there are some disconcerting cracking noises. I've reached a point where they're almost too loose, but not quite. If I move my head a lot, they can slip off fairly easily.

Not unlike the leather they're made of, these headphones seem benefit from time and use. Maybe it's just psychological. Regardless, I've grown more in love with them as time passes.

May 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,193 of 6,783
hatefulsandwich, the dt1350's are better than great cans, and I think I've found my preferred signature. Much like the Mikros, but with a more commanding/extended/linear bass and sub-bass (and thankfully no mid bass hump), and wonderful refinement and no distortion or resonance no matter the volume (amazing tesla drivers!). But sadly not discounted like the mikros. I got them for $230 shipped to Canada. We rarely get good deals, so this is pretty good for them I think.

Regarding Mikros comfort, they are fine. I wish they didn't tend to rotate forward on my head, but its worth putting up with to get that wonderful sound :) For the price, imo the 90's are the best deal that can be had in audio-land.

May 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5,194 of 6,783
For the price, imo the 90's are the best deal that can be had in audio-land.

The best deal for a portable.

The best deal for an IEM is probably the KC06...but the Mikros is still the better all around deal.

May 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,195 of 6,783
I happen to have the birds in my ears right now, and you do indeed speaketh the truth! The tenores should maybe be added to that list, but I haven't heard them.

May 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #5,196 of 6,783

PM me.  You can have mine...no use for it.  I can drop it in the mail.

Zombywoof,

I received the plug yesterday.

Thanks so much.
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #5,197 of 6,783

Those dt1350 sound like they're great cans, but I assume you're not getting the same kind of discount on them as the Mikros? I'm not prepared to drop that kinda bob on headphones at this time, but maybe further along the line
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad you find the Mikros comfy, Johan. I kind of wonder at how sensitive people must be to find these so terribly uncomfortable. Like Wayne says, bending them to the point that they feel like they'll snap before putting them on works a treat as well. Just give the tubes some support while bending the thinner band in the headband, otherwise there are some disconcerting cracking noises. I've reached a point where they're almost too loose, but not quite. If I move my head a lot, they can slip off fairly easily.

Not unlike the leather they're made of, these headphones seem benefit from time and use. Maybe it's just psychological. Regardless, I've grown more in love with them as time passes.

I tried that and it worked, I thought I was going to break them! Man these things are built well :D

May 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,198 of 6,783
I like the secure feeling of the Mikros 90's firm clamping force.  I put on the DT990 today and they felt loose, draped over my head like a towel.  Give me slightly cold pads, slightly hardened memory foam and the tight clamp of the MLs!!!

May 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,199 of 6,783
Ostriches ain't got no depth....so I Read, humphffff.

May 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,200 of 6,783
Ostriches ain't got no depth....so I Read, humphffff.

They go deep enough to put a smile on my face.   YMMV.

But hey, forget about them Ostriches...you can't mod them, so don't bother.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #5,201 of 6,783
Have not heard the DT990/600 over the Lehmann, beta or Bada yet, but their treble emphasis sounds glazed and unnatural through the headphone out on the Denon receiver.  Treble emphasis, but not necessarily treble extension.
How I miss the DT880/2003 version!  They sounded their best with the Darkvoice 337 and/or the Bada PH-12.  I still remember how good Joe Williams sounded with this gear!

May 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5,202 of 6,783
Dt990 didn't last a month in my sound lab...:D
Just didn't sound right ..made no sense of its something...something.:p

May 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,203 of 6,783
The DT990 may not even last that long with me.
My favorite Beyers: still the DT880/2003, with the DT880/600 running a [distant] second and the T1 coming in third.

The Mikros 90 have really spoiled me.
Other headphones do not interest me in the least at the present time.  All I can think of is: "How do I get more from the MLs?"

UPOCC copper cable for the Mikros 90 has not arrived yet, but that should get me over the next hump.  : ) 

Am getting some elna electrolytics put in the Bada PH-12.  Will definitely have a go with the DT990 and the Bada before saying bon voyage to the Beyers.

May 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #5,204 of 6,783
  The DT990 may not even last that long with me.
The Mikros 90 have really spoiled me.
Other headphones do not interest me at the present time.  All I can think of is how to get more from the MLs.
UPOCC copper cable for the Mikros 90 has not arrived yet, but that should get me over the next hump.  : ) 
Am getting some elna electrolytics for the Bada PH-12.  Will definitely have a go with the DT990 and the Bada before saying bon voyage to the Beyers.

Hey Pata, have you listened to the dt1350's?

They go deep enough to put a smile on my face.   YMMV.

Right indeed again! They have a fine amount of depth. And the width is great. But the 3D/airyness/separation/imaging quality is just plain freaky for a $60-70 iem. Instrument/vocal separation all over the ying-yang! Very cool.  humphffff indeed! :)

May 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5,205 of 6,783
WW,
Have not heard the DT1350 yet.

How would they compare to the T1?  [I did not like the T1, despite my having tried, and rather desparately, to like them.  In fact, after Beyerdynamic released their "Premium" series in 2005, I thought their product line had begun to tumble downhill.  They lost the seemingly endless HF and LF extension and settled for the "blah", mass market in-between.  Everything in their Premium DT series, after the triumphant DT880/2003, sounded rolled off and confined by comparison.]

I almost pulled the trigger this evening on the Oppo PM-1, but thought better of it.  From what I have gathered from the many reviews I have read so far, they will probably sound rolled off in the HF to me.  The Oppo BDP-105--with all-out EVS mods--now THAT's a different story!  : )

Just had a grand listen to bhazard's stock set of Mikros 90.  Superbly balanced!  The best stock sound I have heard from any of the [6] stock pair I have auditioned so far.  And in some ways more resolving than either of my modded pairs.

Did a quick a/b between the DT990/600 and bhazard's stock Mikros 90: Lee Rittenour Collection: 24th Street Blues and Waltz for Carmen.  The Beyers--at least in my ears--were handily beaten across the board: treble/bass extension and resolution, detail, midrange clarity, "naturalness", spatial realism--you name it.  The DT990/600 will be up on the FS board quite soon.

I still don't miss the HE-6 (in the least).

The only headphones I have an inkling to audition right now are the AKG K812 and/or the Sennheiser HD800.

OR the Martin Logan Makros 100 circumaurals.  : )

pataburd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back