Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5,237 of 6,783
I really love the dry nature of the pleather on the pads, it has a somehow plasticky feel in a very good way, it's very non-sticky somehow. Anyway I love that my ears don't sweat with these on at all.

May 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5,238 of 6,783
u are the perfect Mikros AMBASSADOR...next to the great PAPA !!

May 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5,239 of 6,783

Because of the price (and all your hype) I'm extremely tempted to get these. If I do, would it be worth getting an amp/DAC (thinking FiiO E7) or should a new cable be the main focus? I am planning on using this mainly at home.

What are you waiting for?
The Mikros 90 are a no-brainer at current prices.
Should sound even better with the FiiO E7.  : )

May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,240 of 6,783
Have been a/b-ing my two stock pair.
The one I bought from bhazard sounds warm and beautifully balanced.  
The second one continues to open up nicely.  This one sounds a little more midrange-pronounced.  The mids are so pristine and lovely.

a/b-ed both stock pair versus the DT990/600 last night [EVS-modded Sony S780 and Lehmann BCL]. 
Treble extension and detail: Mikros 90 win handily
Midrange clarity detail: Mikros 90 win handily
Bass extension and detail: Mikros 90 win handily.
While the DT990 developed a larger sense of space, the Mikros 90 render a more natural, 3-D and believable sense of space.

The DT990/600 ship out to their new owner today! 

Almost pulled the trigger on a pair of DT1350, but I am "Beyered Out" for the time being.

May 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5,241 of 6,783
Currently diggin' the MikrosHypedBass mod and the ET-4 cable at the office.
Just swapped in the Auvio cable.  Tighter and quicker than the Pipeline.  The bass on The Guess Who's "Heartbroken Bopper" is powerful and commanding.
Maybe the Teds UPOCC copper cable will be in the mailbox when I get home!  : )

May 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #5,243 of 6,783
  So after a fun workday of mostly mikros auditioning with my portable rig, which is a hifimediy sabre dac and a cmoy amp.

This is the best bass I have ever heard, it is perfect in quantity, it is extremely detailed, it is absolutely stunning, I currently hear it very well around 25hz, maybe it will extend lower with burn in. They somehow still feel just a smidgeon veiled on some tracks while others are the exact opposite - may have to do with where in the mids frequency the songs are dominant. As my head gets used to them, they have started to grow (they feel bigger). Some tracks are absolutely stunning, they sound so musical. I previously had problems with some older jazz tracks not sounding good on my takstars as the highs on those sound somewhat veiled, I have completely rediscovered those songs, they sound like I never heard them before on those mikros.

They also resolve pretty much anything. Extremely fun to be hearing details my other headphones have not presented me with - and I'm not coming from trashy gear either - until now my best headphone was a takstar pro80 with an aune x1 dac/amp to power them. It's now like I'm coming from apple earbuds and saying that I'm hearing new details, I'm coming from a headphone that is considered an extremely respectable budget option on here.

They sound extremely sibilant with this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-UJoY5WP5s&list=PL50E33D9874DB3E40 however that is the only time I have ever noticed sibilance.

Last but not least, I guess I'm one of the fewer ones to say this, but I like the comfort a lot. They are much much better than my ha-s400 with akg pads. I can't stand the s400s for longer than 10 minutes but these have yet to bother me at all, despite the clamping force.

robakri,
You get a field promotion to Hype Lieutenant.
I like the clamp-fit, too.  And I like my pads a bit cold and a bit unyieldy.
GLAD to hear you finally got a pair and that they are to your liking!!!
beerchug.gif

Bass on The Guess Who's "Laughing"--WOW!

May 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,244 of 6,783
Just bought my third (fourth) pair. One for work. One for home. One to hoard. One as a gift.

May 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,246 of 6,783
Nah. Just an investor with clout with the board. :wink:

May 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #5,247 of 6,783
  Have been a/b-ing my two stock pair.
The one I bought from bhazard sounds warm and beautifully balanced.  
The second one continues to open up nicely.  This one sounds a little more midrange-pronounced.  The mids are so pristine and lovely.

a/b-ed both stock pair versus the DT990/600 last night [EVS-modded Sony S780 and Lehmann BCL]. 
Treble extension and detail: Mikros 90 win handily
Midrange clarity detail: Mikros 90 win handily
Bass extension and detail: Mikros 90 win handily.
While the DT990 developed a larger sense of space, the Mikros 90 render a more natural, 3-D and believable sense of space.

The DT990/600 ship out to their new owner today! 

Almost pulled the trigger on a pair of DT1350, but I am "Beyered Out" for the time being.

Interesting. I've never heard more than the T51P's and the DT1350's. I'm not sure how close the DT990/600/T1 etc sound compared to the DT1350.

I should probably return the 1350's because they aren't any more comfortable than the 90's, and as we all know, the 90's sound awesome. But I don't know if I'm going to be able to return them - I just love their signature so much. They compliment the 90's nicely I find, because they are a bit warmer, with just a beautiful, neutral, refined, detailed and distortion free sound, and with incredible bass to boot.

Decisions decision..

May 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5,248 of 6,783
just return them...... u hv a few more iems to get 
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,249 of 6,783
May 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #5,250 of 6,783
Lors, Pata, or anyone, have any of you hear the ATH ES7? And if so, how does it compare to the Mikros?

I found this dt1350 review, that lead me to this m100 review, which led me to this quote from @Asr:

Comparison: Audio-Technica ES7

I've owned the ES7 for a long time (since 2007) and have become so heavily biased to it that it's actually my measuring stick for all other closed portable headphones now. And true to my bias for it, the ES7 was not beaten by the M-100—in fact, I thought the ES7 was superior to the more-expensive M-100! The ES7 had the following aspects in its favor: (1) A "faster" sound, as it had less plodge and faster/cleaner note attack, (2) Higher amount of clarity throughout the spectrum, (3) A more "open" soundstage, and (4) Higher efficiency (or "sensitivity" for the technical term). The ES7 is also my preferred computer headphone, specifically for gaming, as machine guns always sound appropriately "fast" on it. The M-100 simply didn't compare to it in that aspect, as it was just too plodgy-sounding.

For those who also own the ES7 and like how it sounds, I'd recommend keeping it and not "upgrading" to the more-expensive M-100. The M-100 was more of a side-grade (at best) to me than an upgrade. Though the M-100 had a lot more bass than the ES7 and a more full-bodied mid-range, the ES7 was simply more "clean" and "agile" sounding.

Which has led to me being interested in the ES7's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back