Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3,511 of 6,782
  The Mikros 90 sound excellent stock, agreed.

Keep in mind, though, that Lors [and Maxx] undertook the modding path to address concerns from BASSHEADS who wanted more BASS from the MLs.
The last LorsMikros mod successfully achieves greater BASS levels, as intended.
But there are definite gains in soundstage presence, midrange bloom, tonal differentiation and treble definition as well as increased bass response [while preserving bass balance and improving bass articulation] .  All-tolled, I think the modded Mikros 90 are more engaging to listen to on occasion [and I do not consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool BASSHEAD].  
Again, I enjoy both the modded Mikros 90 and the stock Mikros 90 both at home and at work. 

Anyway, the BASSHEADS have been addressed.  The modded Mikros 90 should more than satisfy their craving for more BASS.
And most of of us who have tried modding the MLs would agree that it is a fun and informative/rewarding process.  The BASS that these little, unassuming Mikros 90 are capable of reproducing is astounding.

*EDIT:
Listening to my (2nd) modded set--modded to enlarge soundstage and enhance midrange--right now at work with the Auvio cable.
Nice, BIG soundstage; contoured, warped-and-woofed 3-D presence; lovely full and slightly warmer mids; more magical tonality; full warm BASS--but not head-slamming; nicely delineated highs.  
biggrin.gif

"Oh, What a Night" [Four Seasons]: DISCO sounds great!!!

UPDATE:
A word on the "LorsMikros"....it is an "improvement" over the MikrosHearThruBass :
via a circle of thin foam added under the driverhousing without covering the hole.
i hear a fuller/more forward Mids...less reverb/less ehnancement on the bass...
overall a more balanced kind of sound, more akin to a large can presentation...u get an overall BIGGER sound.
( so i took out the word BASS when naming it...lolz )

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,512 of 6,782

Thanks. I just tried the mono trick, and then ab'ed both drivers to the same ear. Mine might still be slightly off balance here and there, but it's so slight that I'm not even sure. You probably just have bat ears relative to mine.

i wonder if its too much to expect both sides of the can to be identically "balanced" on a single-entry design..
if u look into the cups, the leftside is half occupied by circuitboard, whereas the right side is relatively unobstructed.

If the stocksound is acceptable to u balancewise, then i wont mess with half modding the left hole or the right hole..
either open both up fully or mod it equally.. thats my opinion. Otherwise return the headfone.

Another tot is about the directional placement of BASS/SubBass...left emphasis/right emphasis :
during those days when i was playing with subwoofers, the understanding is that the placement of the subwoofer is not critical
u can place the subwoofer to the left or right, n your ears will still hear the bass direction according to the music's dictate,
i dun know what phenomenon is this....:p

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,513 of 6,782
  Still need a larger soundstage.  Do any of these pad mods increase the ss?

i tried swapping in a regular kind of pad b4, the clarity improved a notch actually..i hear less "foam"..to what is already a very clear sounding can.
Doubt the soundstage is affected significantly to be noticed.  I do like the stock pad, its got a bit of trance like effect on the sound. :p

The mods that drastically affect the soundstage would be opening the HOLE.
U can try modding it your own way with hits n misses..
until u hit the sweetsweetspot; (its a frustratingly FUN learning process)

Or u are invited to duplicate the LORSMIkros mod...(see my signature )
try to follow the steps religiously..at least for a start..
and give me your feedback on how it sounds on your setup.. :p

Todate, everyone is doing his own mods...with reasonable industry/creativity.
and it is to be expected that each variation/material/placement will bring its own perculiar color to the soundsig.

Do not let these remarks discourage anyone trying to mod,
its just a matter of time n trial n error b4 a sweetsweet result is achieved.
Patience Patience.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,514 of 6,782

i wonder if its too much to expect both sides of the can to be identically "balanced" on a single-entry design..
if u look into the cups, the leftside is half occupied by circuitboard, whereas the right side is relatively unobstructed.

I'm good with where mine are at now, but only after...
If the stocksound is acceptable to u balancewise, then i wont mess with half modding the left hole or the right hole..
either open both up fully or mod it equally.. thats my opinion. Otherwise return the headfone.

I had to do that because the amount of bass coming out of the left driver was way more than through the right driver (to the point where my left ear was hurting). Obviously this is only a phenomenon with my pair though. And I couldn't return mine if I wanted to (had them shipped to a U.S. buddy and then shipped to me). But that's okay because they are sounding awesome to me now.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3,515 of 6,782

I'm good with where mine are at now, but only after...

I had to do that because the amount of bass coming out of the left driver was way more than through the right driver (to the point where my left ear was hurting). Obviously this is only a phenomenon with my pair though. And I couldn't return mine if I wanted to (had them shipped to a U.S. buddy and then shipped to me). But that's okay because they are sounding awesome to me now.

Yeah, so if you COULD return them, you would, wouldn't you? The imbalance is ridiculous IMO and isn't acceptable... especially for a headphone that retailed at $300. The beyerdynamic line does not have that problem at all even though those are single-ended entry. Same with many other headphones out there.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,516 of 6,782

Yeah, so if you COULD return them, you would, wouldn't you? The imbalance is ridiculous IMO and isn't acceptable... especially for a headphone that retailed at $300. The beyerdynamic line does not have that problem at all even though those are single-ended entry. Same with many other headphones out there.

^ ehhh i think he was talking about the imbalance AFTER he modded them, there was NO imbalance on their stock form from his set prior. Have you kept up with the AKG K812 Pro thread???
rolleyes.gif

Just return them if you don't like them so Pata can get his funds back. Think the Beyer DT-250s are infamous for the channel imbalance as well so..... do your homework 1st before you make over generalized statements like that.

Funny cuz i swear you didn't mention any channel imbalance, etc, etc, etc before you modded them. You only reported to peaks here or there from somewhere. But you didn't even give them a good burn-in/ break-in period and you have been warned on it so......

Don't know what to say to ya' besides dood just return them already tbh.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,517 of 6,782

^ ehhh i think he was talking about the imbalance AFTER he modded them, there was NO imbalance on their stock form from his set prior. Have you kept up with the AKG K812 Pro thread???
rolleyes.gif

Just return them if you don't like them so Pata can get his funds back. Think the Beyer DT-250s are infamous for the channel imbalance as well so..... do your homework 1st before you make over generalized statements like that.

Funny cuz i swear you didn't mention any channel imbalance, etc, etc, etc before you modded them. You only reported to peaks here or there from somewhere. But you didn't even give them a good burn-in/ break-in period and you have been warned on it so......

+1

And let this be a lesson to all the butterfingers out there:  If you are not a DIY kind of person and\or you are not willing to pay for your own mistakes, do not open up your headphones.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,518 of 6,782

+1

And let this be a lesson to all the butterfingers out there:  If you are not a DIY kind of person and\or you are not willing to pay for your own mistakes, do not open up your headphones.

It isn't the DIY that is the problem... the DIY just emphasized what was already there AND SOME. It wasn't much of an issue before it tbh but it WAS still there. I heard it in the peaks but shrugged it off as it didn't seem to affect much.

As for doing research... NO ONE mentioned ANYthing about channel imbalance...

The headphone is great SOUNDING in stock form, but in no way is it as solid as it should be IMO. Either way, I also realize I don't need a portable as much as I had thought anyways. So that is another reason for the want for return.

I did no mistake in the mod. The mod itself is a mistake--don't do it, people with stock pairs! Be content with the stock pair and enjoy it, as it is definitely a beauty in stock form (even though I have no need for it since I find the HE-500 more enjoyable personally). The mod just has too much room for problems.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #3,519 of 6,782

rolleyes.gif

Was referring to DT990, DT880 etc.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #3,520 of 6,782

It isn't the DIY that is the problem... the DIY just emphasized what was already there. It wasn't much of an issue before it tbh but it WAS still there. I heard it in the peaks but shrugged it off as it didn't seem to affect much.

As for doing research... NO ONE mentioned ANYthing about channel imbalance...

The headphone is great SOUNDING in stock form, but in no way is it as solid as it should be IMO. Either way, I also realize I don't need a portable as much as I had thought anyways. So that is another reason for the want for return.

I did no mistake in the mod. The mod itself is a mistake--don't do it, people with stock pairs!

^ That doesn't make my points any less relevant.................

Do whatcha' gotta do meng. Good luck.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3,521 of 6,782
-_- ^ I see what you mean now lol. Still, my point was also made :p

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,522 of 6,782
All I can say is returning a modded pair using the "they were imbalanced before I opened them up" is a bit slippery. I was feeling guilty just doing the reverse pad mod (in terms of returning them). However, I like them stock with a little tweaking and basically would never return a $69 pair of phones and pay restocking fee (save my returns for bigger ticket items, but that's a personal thing. I usually give away my cheaper headphone/gear purchase mistakes). I hear no channel imbalance and mine are still stock. Guess you can say you got a bad pair. But modding and returning? Don't be surprised if they detect they were opened and refuse a refund. I know that when I took off the pads to reverse them, getting them back on loosened the seal.

Anyway, do what you have to do.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,523 of 6,782
  All I can say is returning a modded pair using the "they were imbalanced before I opened them up" is a bit slippery. I was feeling guilty just doing the reverse pad mod (in terms of returning them). However, I like them stock with a little tweaking and basically would never return a $69 pair of phones and pay restocking fee (save my returns for bigger ticket items, but that's a personal thing. I usually give away my cheaper headphone/gear purchase mistakes). I hear no channel imbalance and mine are still stock. Guess you can say you got a bad pair. But modding and returning? Don't be surprised if they detect they were opened and refuse a refund. I know that when I took off the pads to reverse them, getting them back on loosened the seal.

Removing the earpads is a normal procedure...
Yeah I get what you mean but I'm not ****tin you guys lol.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #3,524 of 6,782

^ Exactly.

Do whatcha' gotta' do.  Good luck and good.....

Guess he wasn't talkin' about "channel imbalance," but it was some other "imbalance" oh well.......  no use in dwelling, tyme to move on meng.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,525 of 6,782
I do feel wrong doing it... but honestly, what am I gonna do lol. I will say to others that you definitely need to be sure about this mod before you do it as there is pretty much no turning back.

The imbalance is odd. Seems to be only me and wayne that had it and I'm sure he knows what I mean by it. IDK if he knew it was probably there in stock form as well (just not as obv since bass wasn't nearly as prominent. That's kind of why I didn't notice it much since I didn't try mono setting at that time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back