Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,227 of 6,782
running thru my "EPIC" playlist with all the bigbig orchestration...
the stockMikros kept reminding me i am playing within that small "well" above the drivers...
there is that added dimension of sound beyond, that a few of us tasted.
We have so much more to explore..
cant wait to hear your feedback with those customcables n a good mod that u are satisfied with.

========

switching over to my "ballads" playlist, and the stockMikros is just FINE..v appealing. 
i didnt feel like i missed an added dimension.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #3,228 of 6,782
  running thru my "EPIC" playlist with all the bigbig orchestration...
the stockMikros kept reminding me i am playing within that small "well" above the drivers...
there is that added dimension of sound beyond, that a few of us tasted.
We have so much more to explore..
cant wait to hear your feedback with those customcables n a good mod that u are satisfied with.

========

switching over to my "ballads" playlist, and the stockMikros is just FINE..v appealing. 
i didnt feel like i missed an added dimension.

The Mikros 90 ARE the FIFTH DIMENSION!!!
smile_phones.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,229 of 6,782
ok had enuf of the stockMikros...its going back into the box. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,231 of 6,782
  WELP! TIME TO RESTART MY EVALUATION! FKING BASS BOOSTER WAS ON (figures... I feared that after I kept thinking how ridiculous the bass quantity was) FOR IDK WHAT REASON! Sounds much leaner and better IMO now. Much more balanced LOL. So much leaner... Now only bad thing I can really say tbh is the treble/upper mids.

So... take back EVERYTHING I SAID now. I will restate my opinions soon LOL.

Oh man, these sound much more like the HE500 now, just that treble.

I have about 200 hours burn-in and still have trouble with treble/upper mids as well.  This is on stock cable and unamped.

"Bass light" is relative.  Mikros have less bass than Takstar Pro 80, JVC HA-S500, Yamaha HPH-200, Zero Audio Tenore, Zero Audio Basso, Xiaomi Piston, Fidelio S2, Monster Gratitude, NuForce NE-700X.  If comparing to these, you'd say Mikros is bass light.

From memory, I think they have slightly less bass than ATH-CKN70 and TDK BA200.  Probably equal bass to GR07 MK2, RE-400, A161P.

I'm a basshead, so I have to EQ these to get bass to the level that I enjoy for most pop songs.  However, these are my favorite on-ear/over-ear for songs that don't require deep bass.

I've discovered that IEMs sound much better to me than on-ear/over-ear headphones.  Perhaps it's because they're closer to ear-drum and seal better.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #3,233 of 6,782

Ya, that was me. They are great with the Mikros. Especially at their close out price. But be prepared to make the barrel end connecting to the Mikros smaller. I used a utility knife to whittle it down. It's a soft plastic and was pretty easy to do.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,234 of 6,782
I have about 200 hours burn-in and still have trouble with treble/upper mids as well.  This is on stock cable and unamped.

"Bass light" is relative.  Mikros have less bass than Takstar Pro 80, JVC HA-S500, Yamaha HPH-200, Zero Audio Tenore, Zero Audio Basso, Xiaomi Piston, Fidelio S2, Monster Gratitude, NuForce NE-700X.  If comparing to these, you'd say Mikros is bass light.

From memory, I think they have slightly less bass than ATH-CKN70 and TDK BA200.  Probably equal bass to GR07 MK2, RE-400, A161P.

I'm a basshead, so I have to EQ these to get bass to the level that I enjoy for most pop songs.  However, these are my favorite on-ear/over-ear for songs that don't require deep bass.

I've discovered that IEMs sound much better to me than on-ear/over-ear headphones.  Perhaps it's because they're closer to ear-drum and seal better.

Why don't you mod them?

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,235 of 6,782
Why don't you mod them?

Or even just try a different cable. When I had a stock set and was using the stock cable, I was finding the highs to be a bit strident at times for me. Switching to my cheapo Beats cable resolved that and increased the bass somewhat as well.

And now that I have bass canon 90's, I'm back to using the stock cable again lol.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3,236 of 6,782

u are a truebloodmodder chops to u man.  
(.....i was inches away.... from digging out those earwax when i saw your post...)
errr..y dun u dig out the right side too..n hear what happens..?? :p

make sure the leather from Pataburd is stamped.." CARVEN ", otherwise wont work. 

Thanks.

If you get a chance, please check to see if you can determine if the earwax is also in the left driver. It's harder to check that driver (without breaking a wire), but from the pics that I posted before, it seems like there is no wax in that one (so I am guessing that I accidentally removed it somehow).

Please also double check that the bass level in both of your drivers is the same.

Right now I have 1 layer of party streamer over both the left and right holes. But the bass level in my left driver is still a bit too much for eardrum to sustain, so these are my options:

1) Try to recreate the same amount of blockage in the left driver as in the right driver. Option (a) is to just cover half of the left hole with a label. Option (b) is to put a 2nd layer of party streamer on the left driver.

2) Dig out the earwax from my right driver. This might be dangerous, but would at least in theory get both drivers sounding the same. I could then do what needs to be done to get the bass levels down to non eardrum bursting levels lol.

I'll probably start out with 1a or 1b.

ok had enuf of the stockMikros...its going back into the box. 

Well, at least you tried, and at least you have another fine pair of 90's for modding down the road!

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,237 of 6,782

u broke the WIREs???  i try to leave the headfone ON THE TABLE..lift up the cup sideways..tilt it 45% angle..
tweezer or screwdriver goes in....felt dropped in..push it tight...get out fast. its a lightning attack. 
then the long process of aligning the screwssss...dammm screws. 

I am trying to visualize that. If you don't mind snapping a pic the next time you are operating on your left driver, it would be appreciated!

Regarding the screw alignment, as Pataburd mentioned, using an led flashlight to look down the screw holes has simplified the alignment process for me, because I can then clearly see when they are aligned.

The wires snapped where it attaches the driver to the aux circuit, exactly where someone could expect it to snap. Luckly, it came clean off exactly where the solder is, so i'll be working with roughly the same amount of wire as stock.

Bummer, and good luck!

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,238 of 6,782
Im pretty sure when the im-02s come into the states for a cheap $120(hopefully) that youd be ablr to call them a baby mikros 90 with five dimensions as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble, vlenbo, but they will at least start a bit more pricey than that here.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/9721a3650f33e22c/index.html

I'd say the Fostex is the better chance for a baby Mikros as they will start at half the price:)
Too bad the IM-02 won't be like the Mikros 90 in the fact that they started at $299 and ended up at well under $99.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #3,239 of 6,782
Anyone in search of the Auvio 6-foot cable, I will sell you mine at cost. I tried it out today, but it seems to really increase the harshness of the highs. I spent all of 10 minutes at Radio Shack and $3 at the register, so worth a try. Just not an improvement to me. Just PM me if you want the cable.

Right now, I am happy with the stock ML90s and the stock cable. I actually like it with just my HP out on the iPhone 5, using the Onkyo HF EQ app (a slight bass tweak). I am at 40 or so hours of burn in and not changing much to my ears. But will let them on for 60+ and see what happens. I like them, great value at $68. But just not up for modding them. Worried I will destroy them or at the very least, make them sound worse. So to me, they are not going to replace the Fidelio X1s any time soon as my home phones. I'll use both, try and see if the ML90s are better with some genres than others. I also prefer the X1 fit, of course, but that's a no brainer.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #3,240 of 6,782

Sorry to burst your bubble, vlenbo, but they will at least start a bit more pricey than that here.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/9721a3650f33e22c/index.html

I'd say the Fostex is the better chance for a baby Mikros as they will start at half the price:)
Too bad the IM-02 won't be like the Mikros 90 in the fact that they started at $299 and ended up at well under $99.

Oh god...thanks jant

...I hate the audio technica of US.. *sad face*

After all, the ck10s were overpriced as it was $250. Now they're going from over $450..

These im-02s are worth that price, $200 that is. Not so much $300. And the fostex are a better buy at this rate!

It is a shame though, if only the im-02s would be like the mikros 90 and end up going at a bargain sale...one can only wish. :'(

Everyone, leave the im-02s alone and see if the company responds to the supply and demand rule! 
tongue.gif

Once the fostex gets in amazon, you guys should spend spend spend!! (or you could just preorder it from B&H, headroom, etc)

If you guys don't mind buying from another country, go for the tenso version! Picking either im-02s or fostex will reward you greatly. :)

I just love the bass on those im-02s, pretty tight, textured, and sweet sounding, almost warm. once the fostex are 10000 yen at japan, I'm buying them and comparing the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back