Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,206 of 6,783
  I plan to use the Fiio X5 from HO/unamped only.   Now just using it on PC with my dated crappy Soundblaster X-Fi (1st gen).

^ LMAO did you just say the FiiO X5???!!!
rolleyes.gif

The internal amp on that sucka is beastly meng from what i have read, and is probably better than A LOT stand alone external amps under $200 today. haha But yeah am tempted to get a X5s as well but only if they make one with an all silver color scheme.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,208 of 6,783
  ^ LMAO did you just say the FiiO X5???!!!
rolleyes.gif

The internal amp on that sucka is beastly meng from what i have read, and is probably better than A LOT stand alone external amps under $200 today. haha But yeah am tempted to get a X5s as well but only if they make one with an all silver color scheme.
tongue.gif

Man I wish they had left the metal etched scroll wheel from development instead of the rubber/plastic one, but I kinda like the current ratio of black/silver, it sorta matches our Mikros 90.

At the moment I'm doing the https://www.goldenears.philips.com  training/challenge, it's perfect for my newbie ass so I can pinpoint what I feel about my last 6days of using these Mikros 90, and put the correct words (I hope). Taking notes as I pass each 'course' haha.

Also devouring the cable related thread on headfi so I know exactly what I want to order/custom make to go along with Fiio X5/Mikros 90.  Currently at page 300 of the almost 900pg thread DIY cable gallery roflmao.
I don't have a caliper, only a school era ruler to measure the headphone connector plug, seems it's 6mm OD, so far can't seem to find a good plug in that diameter. Once I find one, I will mail Frank from Toxic Cables and ask him if it's possible to fit a 4 wire flat litz cable into such plug (26awg).

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,210 of 6,783
  Well after a few days of burn in my verdict hasn't changed at all. Fantastic portable but not on the same level as the HE-6 or HD650 

I don't think it is at the same level as the HE6 or HD800 or T1 (and all the high-end usual suspects).

I do think that they are better than the HD650, which I absolutely disliked (no sub-bass...veiled highs...blah, blah, blah source, I know), but this a personal preference thing.

Beagle and pataburd do put them at the same level as some very high-end cans...but you can't say they are wrong since this, again, is a personal preference thing.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,211 of 6,783

I don't think it is at the same level as the HE6 or HD800 or T1 (and all the high-end usual suspects).

I do think that they are better than the HD650, which I absolutely disliked (no sub-bass...veiled highs...blah, blah, blah source, I know), but this a personal preference thing.

Beagle and pataburd do put them at the same level as some very high-end cans...but you can't say they are wrong since this, again, is a personal preference thing.

Gotta love how polarizing the HD650s are. I'd actually put them on the same tier as the HE-6. They definitely lose out technically but for me they just have the "it" factor so to speak. 

I'm not saying their wrong. Just that I don't agree in any sense. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #2,212 of 6,783
Man I wish they had left the metal etched scroll wheel from development instead of the rubber/plastic one, but I kinda like the current ratio of black/silver, it sorta matches our Mikros 90.

At the moment I'm doing the https://www.goldenears.philips.com  training/challenge, it's perfect for my newbie ass so I can pinpoint what I feel about my last 6days of using these Mikros 90, and put the correct words (I hope). Taking notes as I pass each 'course' haha.

Also devouring the cable related thread on headfi so I know exactly what I want to order/custom make to go along with Fiio X5/Mikros 90.  Currently at page 300 of the almost 900pg thread DIY cable gallery roflmao.
I don't have a caliper, only a school era ruler to measure the headphone connector plug, seems it's 6mm OD, so far can't seem to find a good plug in that diameter. Once I find one, I will mail Frank from Toxic Cables and ask him if it's possible to fit a 4 wire flat litz cable into such plug (26awg).

Ooh diy cables are pretty fun lol. After i give theses a try on Wednesday along with some good burn in I'm going to decide on either a occ or ofc copper or spc cable. I kind of want to try paracord on this but bare braids look so good lol.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #2,213 of 6,783
  Gotta love how polarizing the HD650s are. I'd actually put them on the same tier as the HE-6. They definitely lose out technically but for me they just have the "it" factor so to speak. 

I'm not saying their wrong. Just that I don't agree in any sense. 

Yeah, that's why never say the HD650 sucks -- there are just too many people who like them for them to really be a bad headphone.  Personally, I don't like them, but I did enjoy them while I had them in my possession.    I wonder if the different drivers might have something to do with the polarizing opinions.  The pair I owned had the older drivers.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,214 of 6,783
OK...my ML90's arrived today at the office,and I wasn't there...rats!  I will start the burn-in first thing in the AM.  Noticed that the price today on Amazon is $70...they dropped the price another $10 (I paid $80 I last week).

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,215 of 6,783
  OK...my ML90's arrived today at the office,and I wasn't there...rats!  I will start the burn-in first thing in the AM.  Noticed that the price today on Amazon is $70...they dropped the price another $10 (I paid $80 I last week).

^ Call them up and get a price match, i am sure amazon will honor it.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,216 of 6,783

^ Call them up and get a price match, i am sure amazon will honor it.

Yep...thanks, already e-mailed them and got a reply...they gave me a $10 credit to my account.  The bargain just got better...now the fun begins.

PS...this is far and away the most entertaining thread on the entire site.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,217 of 6,783
Well, just got them today.
There's a lot of bass :O 
I like the mids, and treble is well-extended.
I don't know why people said these lack in bass-quantity. 
There seems to be a problem with the clamp, since I wear glasses. Also, there seems to be a phenomenon where there appears to be driver flex with left side using the stock ear-pad. 
It's strange, since I never experienced this with any headphones before. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,218 of 6,783
  Yep...thanks, already e-mailed them and got a reply...they gave me a $10 credit to my account.  The bargain just got better...now the fun begins.

PS...this is far and away the most entertaining thread on the entire site.

^ Nice glad you got dat price match. They dropped by $1 from last week that i ordered, should i give them a nasty e-mail as well??? : P
DEAD SERIOUS.
ph34r.gif

Not sure if you meant the latter as a compliment or not, but regardless we'll take it as one. :)

Oh and you MUST not have been on my threads cuz there ain't no better meng. 
cool.gif

Well, just got them today.
There's a lot of bass :O 
I like the mids, and treble is well-extended.
I don't know why people said these lack in bass-quantity. 
There seems to be a problem with the clamp, since I wear glasses. Also, there seems to be a phenomenon where there appears to be driver flex with left side using the stock ear-pad. 
It's strange, since I never experienced this with any headphones before. 

^ Maybe if the driver flex doesn't go away/ fix itself have them send you replacement, cuz there should be any. But good luck explaining driver flex to them as an excuse. haha

They be like this fool must be trippin' drive whoa???!!!
rolleyes.gif

Glad they gots enough bass for ya' though,

maybe driver flex = mo'
basshead.gif

: P

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,219 of 6,783
Feb 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,220 of 6,783
I can literally hear the drivers crinkling as the pads push down against my ears.
It's unfortunate because while I like the sound, they're uncomfortable to me. 
Probably put them up for a cheap sale, or return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back