Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Oct 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,926 of 6,783
http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00LFVSKRS

transplant host for mikros drivers....anyone? :p

or this...

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Premium-Genuine-Wood-Headphones/dp/B00C313XBW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D1QK0HXJHDVCWMZS2Z5

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,927 of 6,783
Thank you, everyone. I feel like part of the community here!

I can't wait to get them. I haven't dug deep enough to find out, but has anyone compared these to the AKG545? I just spent some quality time with those cans and hope the Mikros are in the same ballpark, quality wise.

If so, these are the deal of the century!

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5,928 of 6,783
Thank you, everyone. I feel like part of the community here!

Don't get toooo excited K.T... you're not official until you have 300 posts in this thread. So get posting boy! (or girl!)
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #5,931 of 6,783
Test driven alpha dog n oppo pm1 on my road warrior e18...
Then put on mikros90.....n there is a ClearWinner :)

3D Spatial cues.....unchallenged.

That deep thumping 5Hz or 10Hz bassssss......

The soaring clean highssss...

N ofcos the clammmp...unchallenged lol

For me, the "good ol'" Mikros 90 get the most head time, then the PM-1--with all three earpad options, then the K812.  Have not put the Fitz-improved Bada back into action yet, though [which would be a boon for the AKGs].
Spacey/Bassy Mikros 90 at the office; Stock Pair #3 at the apartment; bhazard's Stock Pair at the house.  The Logans fulfill all my listening needs at all my locations.
Did listen to the Oppos last night with the new alternative pads.  It took me a lengthy while at first to attune to the PM-1, but I continue to enjoy them for their unmatched sense of musical nuance and subtlety.
The AKGs are on their Omega stand wrapped in a plastic bag and I am simply too lazy to unwrap them.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #5,932 of 6,783
Hey, Gang!  Where's all that Mahtin Wogan Wuv???
Remembering the time when this thread was nearly ALWAYS AT the TOP.
AH!  Those were the halcyon days of the Mikros 90!
Still an exceptional set of cans, IMHO.

smile_phones.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,933 of 6,783
Enjoying Cat Stevens' "Hard Headed Woman" [with bhazard's Stock Pair, via the Denon DVD-1940CI, Neotech UPOCC copper interconnects, headphone out from the Linn Intek, DakiOm F203 Feedback Stabilizer, Teds UPOCC copper cable].

The Mikros 90 are perhaps one of the most balanced--in virtually every sonic category across the baord--and musically poised set of headphones out there.  Period.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #5,934 of 6,783
For me, the "good ol'" Mikros 90 get the most head time, then the PM-1--with all three earpad options, then the K812.

That blows my mind actually! But, I haven't heard the oppos or k812's. Still, mind blown lol!

I do find it awesome and comforting though that you are still loving the 90's so much. I would be loving them at the moment as well, but I'm currently loving other new gear (Havi B3's and vintage Sony mdr-v7's). But the 90's are what they are (awesome), so I'm starting to feel the need...

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #5,935 of 6,783
Pataburd are you using any mods there's so many pages in here and I rarely pop in. Searching "mod" in here is futile :)
Do you ever get the slight glare from trebles that bothers you at all?
 I tried the soft HD-25 pads but found things got thin fast, as well as distant, so have come up with a mod using the stock pads that seems decent, to be determined by waynesworld soon. uh oh---- pressure is ON.

Nevermind I am an idiot just checked your profile.. Are all stock pads?

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #5,936 of 6,783
so have come up with a mod using the stock pads that seems decent, to be determined by waynesworld soon. uh oh---- pressure is ON.

Oh yeah, the pressure is on indeed... the waynes world awaits! :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #5,937 of 6,783
  Pataburd are you using any mods there's so many pages in here and I rarely pop in. Searching "mod" in here is futile :)
Do you ever get the slight glare from trebles that bothers you at all?
 I tried the soft HD-25 pads but found things got thin fast, as well as distant, so have come up with a mod using the stock pads that seems decent, to be determined by waynesworld soon. uh oh---- pressure is ON.

Nevermind I am an idiot--NO! You are NOT!--just checked your profile.. Are all stock pads?

nick n,
I run five pairs, two of which are modded: one uses the "old" Lors MikrosHypedBass mod: open hole, leather, felt and Blu-Tak, to which I added Dynamat on the driver housing.  The other I call the Spacey/Bassy mod: open hole, chamois, a thin strip of open cell foam nestled in the earcup directly below the hole and Dynamat on the driver housing.  

My Stock Pair #3 sound virtually "perfect" as-is.  The bhazard Stock Pair--named after their former owner who did not wait out the extensive burn-in period--sound warmer and comparatively less detailed.  Stock Pair #2 are comparatively treble-dominant [but more treble-detailed] and can sound hot/glary in the high frequencies at times.

I have owned/auditioned eight pairs of the Mikros 90 and no two of them have sounded exactly the same to me.  Out of them all, I have probably enjoyed Stock Pair #3 the best, though--SO FAR, LOL.

I just ordered a pair of the HD 25-1 replacement pads which I intend to try--fitting them Bananiq-style straight over the stock pads--with my stock pairs.  Otherwise, all my pads are stock.  And I don't mind the painful pinch of the Mikros 90's infamous--for some--clamping force.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #5,938 of 6,783
  Hey, Gang!  Where's all that Mahtin Wogan Wuv???
Remembering the time when this thread was nearly ALWAYS AT the TOP.
AH!  Those were the halcyon days of the Mikros 90!
Still an exceptional set of cans, IMHO.

smile_phones.gif

My Stock Pair #3 sound virtually "perfect" as-is.  The bhazard Stock Pair--named after their former owner who did not wait out the extensive burn-in period--sound warmer and comparatively less detailed.  Stock Pair #2 are comparatively treble-dominant [but more treble-detailed] and can sound hot/glary in the high frequencies at times

Still here. I have three pair. One in the box for posterity or shameless gouging down the road. One pair that is warmer and less detailed and then a pretty much "perfect" pair. I am cycling with the Mikros 90s, the JVC H-FXT90, and the V-Moda M80 (for pop and EDM). I find the JVCs having a balanced sound somewhat similar to the Mikros. They are a bit more forward and don't reveal all the micro detail the Mikros 90 does. Still a fantastic IEP on the cheap. IME, much better than the Havi B3 for overall sound quality, fit, and power needs.

I would love for Martin Logan to license the Mikros 90 driver to Val and V-Moda. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5,939 of 6,783
Hey, I just received my first pair. I repeated some burn in noise overnight and then gave a listen. They sound like Pataburd's stock pair #3 so far.

Fairly balanced, and I can see the promise in the sound, but I can tell they need to open up. So far they sound warm and controlled, but closed in. Bass impact is a bit light, but I expect all these things to open up and improve.

Funny thing is these phones remind me a lot of the BlueAnt Embrace. The form factor, that is. Got those on-ear pads with the puffy padded perforated faces.

Clamping force is moderate, but I think I lucked out with the way they fit my head. No hotspots. The pressure evenly distributed, so no real discomfort.

How long before they burn in? If these work out, I'll be getting a second pair.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,940 of 6,783
Hey, I just received my first pair. I repeated some burn in noise overnight and then gave a listen. They sound like Pataburd's stock pair #3 so far.

Fairly balanced, and I can see the promise in the sound, but I can tell they need to open up. So far they sound warm and controlled, but closed in. Bass impact is a bit light, but I expect all these things to open up and improve.

Funny thing is these phones remind me a lot of the BlueAnt Embrace. The form factor, that is. Got those on-ear pads with the puffy padded perforated faces.

Clamping force is moderate, but I think I ucked out with the way they fit my head. No hotspots. The pressure evenly distributed, no no real discomfort.

How long before they burn in? If these work out, I'll be getting a second pair.

Yes they are kind of like the old Embrace headphones but of course sound way better! I found my pair sounded pretty darn good out of the box and at roughly the 50 hour mark havent really changed much from what I can hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back