Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #5,912 of 6,783
The Spacey/Bassy Mikros 90 are my go-to headphones for organ music.  
They convey a more balanced and believable acoustic--especially in their capacity to deftly ply the deep bass registers--than either the Oppo PM-1 or the AKG K812.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #5,913 of 6,783
Well its comfirmed, my new pair of Mikros 90s definitely have a stronger low end response. The extra kick down low really evens things out and they sound quite balanced now for my tastes. Now to start working on improving the comfort, has anyone tried the velour hd25 earpads on them?

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,914 of 6,783
  Well its comfirmed, my new pair of Mikros 90s definitely have a stronger low end response. The extra kick down low really evens things out and they sound quite balanced now for my tastes. Now to start working on improving the comfort, has anyone tried the velour hd25 earpads on them?

What is MAXXy using?
Personally, I like the painful pinch of the stock configuration.
OUCH!  Hurts soooooooo. . . . good!!!

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #5,916 of 6,783
Currently, I am enjoying bhazard's stock pair [w/Teds UPOCC copper cable], which are very warm and "roomy" sounding [Bob James "Joy Ride"].  Bass is full.
I listen to three stock pairs: one is treble-dominant, one is bass-dominant, the third is splendidly balanced from top-to-bottom.  

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,917 of 6,783
  For anyone interested the 3' Auvio cable from Radio Shack is on sale for ten bucks.  Although the packaging says it's 3 feet, it oddly looks shorter.  I'm no expert on cables so cannot comment on how it affects sound quality.

A very capable and affordable cable that complements the Mikros 90 well IMHO.

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #5,918 of 6,783
I'd been seeing these mentioned on the deals thread occasionally, and passed each time. Yeah, sorry, I think they are butt ugly, what with their oddly bulbous look and all.

I get on the web yesterday see that there's a Newegg deal where you can get them for $53.99 if you checkout with Visa Check Out.

So I got some.

I'd heard some positive buzz about them every now and again, but when I started reading the negative comments at the beginning of the thread, I thought I had made a big mistake.

But wait. This thread is almost 400 pages long. There's got to be something going on here.

Going to the very end of the thread and working forward, I realize these cans may be great and may have some real potential. I am crossing my fingers!

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #5,919 of 6,783
Has anyone tried to pop out the small nameplate on the back of the cups ( only 2 small tabs ) and install some classy black mesh to make them open backed?. Obviously there will be a bit of careful cutting involved to open that up, the the remaining pleather covering around the new hole can be nicely folded over that seam and held in place by the mesh, so it still looks pro.
Once I get these things nailed down stock as an experimental baseline to apply the same modding to another set, I have a feeling this is the route that I will take. I'll search further to see if anyone has already again.
If a thin perimeter ( where the nameplate seats to normally ) is left over after the cut, the nameplate can be resealed on again ( assuming it is the pits which I doubt )

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,920 of 6,783
  Has anyone tried to pop out the small nameplate on the back of the cups ( only 2 small tabs ) and install some classy black mesh to make them open backed?.

Oooh, that sounds promising!

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5,921 of 6,783
Going to the very end of the thread and working forward, I realize these cans may be great and may have some real potential. I am crossing my fingers!

What you will find is that they are great, so you can relax your fingers lol!

And although a lot of this thread is devoted to modding the 90's, in stock mode they are great also.

My only negatives with them are fit and comfort. But sound quality is not a problem.

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #5,922 of 6,783
I'd been seeing these mentioned on the deals thread occasionally, and passed each time. Yeah, sorry, I think they are butt ugly, what with their oddly bulbous look and all.

I get on the web yesterday see that there's a Newegg deal where you can get them for $53.99 if you checkout with Visa Check Out.

So I got some.

I'd heard some positive buzz about them every now and again, but when I started reading the negative comments at the beginning of the thread, I thought I had made a big mistake.

But wait. This thread is almost 400 pages long. There's got to be something going on here.

For their current sale price you will not find anything that sounds as good. Sparkly highs, great clarity a solid low end and overall quite well balanced. They have a pretty tight clamp force out of the box but stretch them over some books for a few days and they become fairly comfortable for an on-ear. Some people say they have a tendency to flip forward but i've never had that issue, i wear them with the earcups fully extended and they stay on very securely.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #5,923 of 6,783

So I got some.

K.T.
Keep us posted.
The Mikros 90 are capable indeed, alongside the likes of TOTL full-sized headphones IMHE.

Welcome Aboard!!!
beerchug.gif

PAB

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #5,925 of 6,783
KT,

Welcome to the club!

What type of music do you listen to? IMO, of course, but there are simply no on-ear equals, much less superior on-ear headphones, to the Mikros 90 for classical, jazz, classic rock, opera, or acoustic music. Metal heads are quite enamored with the Mikros 90, also. Now for other styles like pop, R&B, etc... they are very capable. 

The Mikros 90 needs about 100 hours of burn in for the headphone to mature fully. Beware or address the clamp. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back