Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #5,896 of 6,782

Take a guess which one won out from these two...
wink.gif

Hint: starts with an "M"..

Kefs not modded at all?

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #5,897 of 6,782
Sep 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #5,899 of 6,782
Yeah, but who said it lost? :wink:

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5,901 of 6,782
  In the post above it lost to the modded Martin Logans :p. Plus it loses on value for money, the Mikros 90s cannot be beat at their available price :D

I guess I read Maxxx's post wrong:

Quote:
 Take a guess which one won out from these two...
wink.gif

Hint: starts with an "M"..

Although I strongly suspect that he meant that the modded Mikros 90's won, he could have meant that the M500's won, no?

Anyway, assuming he meant that the modded Mikros 90's won, I can live with that (man, I'd love to hear them or do the same mods!). I think that just the plain jane stock M90's are great and feel that it's a matter of preference as to which ones a person would like more. I like the sound coming out of each of them equally, but I end up listening to the M500's more due to their comfort.

As far as value for money is concerned, you're definitely right on - M90's all the way!

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,902 of 6,782

Although I strongly suspect that he meant that the modded Mikros 90's won, he could have meant that the M500's won, no?

Anyway, assuming he meant that the modded Mikros 90's won, I can live with that (man, I'd love to hear them or do the same mods!). I think that just the plain jane stock M90's are great and feel that it's a matter of preference as to which ones a person would like more. I like the sound coming out of each of them equally, but I end up listening to the M500's more due to their comfort.

As far as value for money is concerned, you're definitely right on - M90's all the way!

Yeh possibly but i would have thought he'd have said it starts with a K if he meant the Kefs.
I know the M500s have a stronger bass response than the Mikros 90's, how do the mids and highs compare?

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5,903 of 6,782
when it comes to complex music...the Mikros leaves the Kef in the dust. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #5,904 of 6,782
  when it comes to complex music...the Mikros leaves the Kef in the dust. 

Good thing this is the most complex music I listen to!
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,905 of 6,782
For anyone interested the 3' Auvio cable from Radio Shack is on sale for ten bucks.  Although the packaging says it's 3 feet, it oddly looks shorter.  I'm no expert on cables so cannot comment on how it affects sound quality.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #5,906 of 6,782
  For anyone interested the 3' Auvio cable from Radio Shack is on sale for ten bucks.  Although the packaging says it's 3 feet, it oddly looks shorter.  I'm no expert on cables so cannot comment on how it affects sound quality.

I actually use an Auvio cable from Radio Shack, it works perfectly.  The one I got, I got on clearance for $3.  It has an inline remote, but it's not an iPhone only remote.  It works with all my Android and Windows Phone devices, where the stock remote only works with a couple of my Android devices.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #5,907 of 6,782
Just got my second pair and on the first listen the new pair does seem to have more bass which i'm delighted about. I forgot how tight the initial clamping force was so i'm going to stretch them out and burn them in overnight then try to do a thorough test tomorrow sometime.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #5,908 of 6,782
  Hey guys. I've just received my Mikros 90 thanks to the newegg sale on them. I find that they have the annoying tendency for the cups to have all the pressure on one side of the cup instead of evenly distributed throughout.

besides from getting rid of the absurd amounts of clamping force, does anyone have any other tips on how to make these more comfortable?

Angle them back across the top of your head.  Or adjust your source/amp to "reverse stereo" and wear the Mikros 90 with L channel to Right ear and vice versa. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #5,910 of 6,782

Although there is no denying that they have beautiful design, I was quite shocked at the m500 tiny toy size.. (!)

The Mikros in comparison is a more substantial unit although it is no where as comfortable in stock form..

As far as stock m500 sound it had detailing and some nice soundstage but it had a signature in its sound which was giving away the fact that you were listening to headphones and not the music..

In other words it bowed down to the Mikros in realism.
With the Mikros you herd the energy and life over the kef which was no slouch but alas it was unfair to compare to a modded Mikros with new pads..
:wink:
Edit: both the akg545 and the onkyo300 are superior to the kef m500 as well..
Sorry to say..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back