Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Dec 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #166 of 6,783
  LOL with Headfi.   When I follow the hype train in some popular thread I usually end up buying something I dislike....yet when I buy a model that is mostly ignored by the vast majority of the members, I find myself pleasantly surprised.
redface.gif

LOL, so right. I know I went in with that same idea, why not spend $79 or even $60 on a heavily discounted headphone, how bad could they really be ? Or surprisingly good, unless you happened to listen to them at Best Buy. Funny how one bad opinion can get so much traction. I have 2 pair now, at the above prices, and I'm going to get my brother a pair for xmas
o2smile.gif

Cheers Elvergun and everyone else who loves these, hope you all have a great holiday season!

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #167 of 6,783
     LOL, so right. I know I went in with that same idea, why not spend $79 or even $60 on a heavily discounted headphone, how bad could they really be ? Or surprisingly good, unless you happened to listen to them at Best Buy. Funny how one bad opinion can get so much traction. I have 2 pair now, at the above prices, and I'm going to get my brother a pair for xmas
o2smile.gif

Cheers Elvergun and everyone else who loves these, hope you all have a great holiday season!

You too.   
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #169 of 6,783
  I bought a few extra pair for gifts, too.  Merry Christmas everyone! 

They are out of stock, so either you and Predator bought up all the remaining stock, or a couple of Headfiers decided to take a chance on an incredible deal. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #170 of 6,783
I bought a pair from Newegg (@$60)
happy_face1.gif
.  They should arrive in couple of hours. I had been debating buying a pair since November, when I decided to upgrade from my KRK KNS-6400s; but I wound up deciding on the Sennheiser HD600s instead
beyersmile.png
.  Then I wound up needing a pair of closed-back portables for a trip in couple of weeks (apparently other people don't want to hear my music during a 12-13 hour trip
confused.gif
), so I ordered these.  Hopefully, they will be as amazing as everyone says.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #171 of 6,783
  I bought a pair from Newegg (@$60)
happy_face1.gif
.  They should arrive in couple of hours. I had been debating buying a pair since November, when I decided to upgrade from my KRK KNS-6400s; but I wound up deciding on the Sennheiser HD600s instead
beyersmile.png
.  Then I wound up needing a pair of closed-back portables for a trip in couple of weeks (apparently other people don't want to hear my music during a 12-13 hour trip
confused.gif
), so I ordered these.  Hopefully, they will be as amazing as everyone says.

You should let them break in for at least 30 or so hours and the bass opens up.

Let us know what you think of them.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #173 of 6,783
$60 deal seem to be gone for now, see them on Amazon for about $88, still a good buy imo, thinking maybe I get a spare or some for presents while they're still available…

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #175 of 6,783
i just received mine today and first impressions, it sounds laid back, good channel separation, very detailed and like what others said bass is just ok for me. however, it impressively goes very low unlike my other headphones (i currently own a grado sr80, grado sr 225i, shure 840, pioneer se mj591, atrio m5). im currently using it directly connected to my lenovo windows 8 tablet. i will try it with my fiio e11 headphone amp and ipod touch tomorrow.

They said they modeled this after their ESL speakers but as of now i can't really say it sounds like an ESL. i do have a Martin Logan Vista ESL and it's not as transparent like an electrostat speaker. i think someone compared it to a Grado headphones but for me the Grados have a different sound characteristic and can be fatuiging after long periods but the Mikros 90 i have been listening for 2 hours straight and i feel like it can still go on for 3 more hours.

This thing does clamp on the head so i feel bad for you guys who have huge heads, but the pads are soft though. it does have a pretty good seal that i can hear my heartbeat when there is no music playing :p. No complaints for the $60 price i paid for and Definitely not a 300 headphone IMHO but could the best $60 headphone purchase ever :p

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #176 of 6,783

This thing does clamp on the head so i feel bad for you guys who have huge heads, but the pads are soft though. it does have a pretty good seal that i can hear my heartbeat when there is no music playing :p. No complaints for the $60 price i paid for and Definitely not a 300 headphone IMHO but could the best $60 headphone purchase ever :p

Yeah, out of the box, the clamping is quite bad - they had the most force applied to my head by any on-ear, but the isolation is superb.   I bent the headband until I got them to be very comfortable.  I applied force to the headband in steps because I did want to get it too lose to the point were it would affect the isolation.   After this little exercise, I can't hear my heartbeat anymore. 
biggrin.gif

No complaints for the $60 price i paid for and Definitely not a 300 headphone IMHO but could the best $60 headphone purchase ever :p

When I first got them I thought they were worth more than the $60 I paid for them, but the more they break in and the more the bass comes alive, the more I am convinced that the original $300 asking price was not unreasonable.  IMO, they are certainly better than some of the portable headphones in the $200 to $350 price range.    I bought the Mikros just to buy something during Black Friday...they turned out to be so good that they basically replaced my Momentum (now sold and gone).    Post your impressions after letting them burn-in for a couple of days.

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #177 of 6,783
To me, like elevergun, the Mikros 90 are worth their $299 MSRP, whereas the popular KEF M500--whose market price is fairly steady at their MSRP of $299--are not.  I consider the MLs a "reference" product, but not the KEFs.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #178 of 6,783
  To me, like elevergun, the Mikros 90 are worth their $299 MSRP, whereas the popular KEF M500--whose market price is fairly steady at their MSRP of $299--are not.  I consider the MLs a "reference" product, but not the KEFs.

Exactly...reference portables...just like the DT1350s.   The Mikros 90s are the complete opposite of something like Beats headphones.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #179 of 6,783
I like them better than the 1350's, though I'd put the Amperior slightly above the ML, though the ML's do some things better (have a thread, as you know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back