Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #151 of 6,782
The Kef's look nice, you can try out the Pipeline on them too. Any chance you found them at a good discount ? I really feel C75 got a bad initial listen and really stuck to his guns, he was gracious in conceding the argument, albeit a bit passive aggressive, but still appreciated. One thing I have noticed with the original cable, they can get stuck in the pause mode, you have to plug them into an iPod to get them to act normally. They will have a very tinny sound with no bass, mine didn't function properly when I 1st hooked it to my portable amp, I got full sound only if I pressed the pause button. I tried them in my iPod, sounded fine, retried in amp and now they work fine, so there must be some circuit that needs normalizing. It is nice to avoid the stock cable all together and eliminate what ever is messing up the sound.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #152 of 6,782
PZ,
Since the KEF has a side entry for the cable at the earcup, it would be nice to get a right angle connector at one end.  I am a big fan of UPOCC cable, and may get a HeadphoneLounge wire eventually for the ML (and possibly the KEF).  

Can't believe these unassuming little Mikros 90 have been such a pleasant surprise.  Admittedly, the price of entry is a super incentive.

OneCall has had decent pricing on the KEF M500 from time to time, but nowhere near the deal we got on the MLs.  Mine are due Friday.  Can't wait for the comparison.  I read one reviewer who felt that the ML were better suited to acoustic/chamber venues, whereas he described the M500 as a better "all-rounder"--maybe better with harder more pounding styles.  I have no complaints about the Mikros 90 with any of the music I've listened to through them so far, though. 

Patrick

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #153 of 6,782
It is nice to avoid the stock cable all together and eliminate what ever is messing up the sound.

I would like to get that cable, but I would like to avoid that song and dance you had to go through.

I wonder if there are different versions of the cable.  It seems odd that pataburd was able to use his unmodified, while you had to hack away a lot of the plastic.

Pataburd,

Can you post a picture of the plugs on your cable?

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #154 of 6,782
I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty, would of been a waste of money(having "hacked" them up :)
basshead.gif
. You are right, there should be an easy and nice cable with the right connectors and nice wires inside without turning to custom cables, which is very tempting since it would be a universal cable you could use in many applications.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #155 of 6,782

I would like to get that cable, but I would like to avoid that song and dance you had to go through.

I wonder if there are different versions of the cable.  It seems odd that pataburd was able to use his unmodified, while you had to hack away a lot of the plastic.

Pataburd,

Can you post a picture of the plugs on your cable?

E,
Will borrow my wife's camera and try to post a picture tomorrow.  It's a snug, quasi-force fit.  Could be variation in the OD of the ET-4 and/or the ID of the Mikros 90.  My cable is the four-footer.  I think the ET-4 comes in other lengths.

P

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #156 of 6,782
KEF M500 due to arrive today.  God willing, an a/b might be forthcoming next week.  

(Still remember that I have to get a picture of the ET-4, unshaven, fitted into the ML Mikros 90 for elvergun!--have been out of town)  : )

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #157 of 6,782
KEFs are in.  Have had them hooked up to music for the past 20+ hours.  Cannot, unfortunately, use the Pipeline ET-4 with the M500.  The KEFs have a cable with a right-angled 3.5mm jack to the source and a right-angled 2.5mm jack that goes into a specialized countersunk hole in the left earpiece.  I cannot use a conventional 3.5-2.5mm adapter because the circular recess is fairly deep and has much too narrow an ID for the adapter I have on hand.

Just based on looks and feel, I prefer the MLs,  Too early to say anything definitive in terms of comparative sound, but I will mention that the Mikros 90 have more treble energy/presence and high frequency extension--and possibly deeper bass extension.  The M500 have more midbass push and denser, more liquid midrange in general, but lack the treble sheen and openess/transparency of the Mikros 90, IMHO.

I wish I could get the Pipeline hooked up to the KEFs.  I think the stock cable might be a significant obstacle to really hearing what the M500 are capable of.  The KEF's inflexibility in that regard might be their undoing for me.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #159 of 6,782
Tried the Pipeline cable, didn't fit the ML, almost ruined it…anyone know of a cable that does fit?

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #160 of 6,782
These things keep getting better and better the more they break in.   Wow. 

Not a bass monster, but not bass shy either.   The Mikro 90 is simply amazing.  

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #161 of 6,782
Yes, these MLs are an amazing set of headphones--and they are back on sale at NewEgg for $59/shipped!
Was up late again with the Mikros 90 last night: always something new and exciting to hear.  Just a beautifully balanced presentation!
Did the a/b with the KEF M500, and I came out strongly prefering the Mikros 90.  : )

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #162 of 6,782
  Yes, these MLs are an amazing set of headphones--and they are back on sale at NewEgg for $59/shipped!
Was up late again with the Mikros 90 last night: always something new and exciting to hear.  Just a beautifully balanced presentation!
Did the a/b with the KEF M500, and I came out strongly prefering the Mikros 90.  : )

I bought my pair thinking that they would be my beaters or that pair of headphones that sits in a drawer and is never used.  For $60 I thought, what the hell.  Turns out that I liked the Mikros more than I did my Momentum, so I sold the Momentum and the Mikros took over as my office headphone. 

LOL with Headfi.   When I follow the hype train in some popular thread I usually end up buying something I dislike....yet when I buy a model that is mostly ignored by the vast majority of the members, I find myself pleasantly surprised.
redface.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #163 of 6,782

I bought my pair thinking that they would be my beaters or that pair of headphones that sits in a drawer and is never used.  For $60 I thought, what the hell.  Turns out that I liked the Mikros more than I did my Momentum, so I sold the Momentum and the Mikros took over as my office headphone. 

LOL with Headfi.   When I follow the hype train in some popular thread I usually end up buying something I dislike....yet when I buy a model that is mostly ignored by the vast majority of the members, I find myself pleasantly surprised.
redface.gif

oh YES, those Mikinos 90s have a beautiful and unique sound.  very listenable after considerable burn in!  enjoy!!!!

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #165 of 6,782

redface.gif

I bought mine on a lark and really wasn't expecting much either.  But WOW! Martin Logan hit one clean out of the ballpark with the Mikros 90, exceeding my expectations many times over.
At current prices, these MLs are an insane bargain.  The majority who choose to ignore them are simply missing out on one of the most rewarding listening experiences available at any price, or along any of the popular product lines.  

After a/b-ing the Mikros 90 and the M500, I might now be willing to pay $299 for the MLs, but would probably think twice before paying $79 for the KEFs.  The current fascination with the M500, to the general exclusion of the Mikros 90, is baffling.  Granted, the KEFs are good headphones, but in several critical respects they are not in the same league as the Mikros 90. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back