Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #136 of 6,782
I agree that listening in most stores gives really little information on the real capability of the headphones. I really like the ML, agree with most of the assessment. The bass in my set up isn't quite what I read. It is incredibly tight, musical, deep, sounds like real notes, no softness. In absolute amount, though, I find it less than other headphones I like (Senn Amperior, for instance). Position helps, but not all the way. Ordered the Radio Shack cable, see if that makes a difference.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #137 of 6,782

Pretty much everyone who purchased a pair agrees with pataburd.    A couple of people who had a quick listen at a Best Buy kiosk keep saying they suck.   Hmmm...

How do you become an expert on a particular model after having a quick listen?   One thing is to say that you did not like them, yet you exaggerate by continuing to claim that the headphone sucks and when you continue to question the "ears" of those who like them.

The rule on Head-fi is that you can't comment on a headphone you haven't heard.   There should be another rule that you cannot become an expert on a model you've only quickly heard under the worst of conditions.

I heard what I heard and compared to other headphones using the same amplification which was a direct input through my V-Moda Vamp, so the conditions were not as bad as you assume.  Over the years, I have found my opinions of individual headphones have changed little from my initial impression through extended listening.  I really don't care if "pretty much everyone who purchased a pair agrees with pataburd".  Are you proposing another rule that everyone should be a lemming and agree about a headphone's characteristics or their opinion is invalid?  I don't like them at all, think they are bass anemic and we can agree to disagree.  Sonic Defender asked for an opinion to help make an informed choice.  That is what I am providing.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #138 of 6,782
I like them, but do hear them as having less bass than others I like... More low end power (not just detail) would raise them to another level...

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #139 of 6,782
  I heard what I heard and compared to other headphones using the same amplification which was a direct input through my V-Moda Vamp, so the conditions were not as bad as you assume.  Over the years, I have found my opinions of individual headphones have changed little from my initial impression through extended listening.  I really don't care if "pretty much everyone who purchased a pair agrees with pataburd".  Are you proposing another rule that everyone should be a lemming and agree about a headphone's characteristics or their opinion is invalid?  I don't like them at all, think they are bass anemic and we can agree to disagree.  Sonic Defender asked for an opinion to help make an informed choice.  That is what I am providing.

No matter what you say, comparing a bunch of headphones in a retail store does not make you an expert on all the headphones you heard.     Sure, you might get an idea on what you liked or did not like, but you will not be better informed than someone who actually owns them and has heard them with different amps and under different conditions.   I don't doubt that you didn't like them, or that your impressions  do not change over extended periods, but that does not make this a bad headphone.  You simply didn't like them.  I simply did not like the Vmodas, but I don't make it my life's mission to try to dissuade people from buying that headphone.

You don't care about the people who agree with pataburd, so what makes you think we care so much about yours?    I'm not saying that your opinion does not matter, but come on, you gave us that opinion many times before.   Heck, you posted  your initial impressions almost a year ago...an opinion based on a quick listen at Best Buy.   I've been to those listening stations at Best Buy and they are absolutely terrible.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #140 of 6,782
We all hear differently and have varied listening preferences, so I respect C75's differences.  I have never been a "bass head", but I have owned and appreciated bass-prominent headphones in the past (e.g. Ultrasone and Denon).

Some of the best bass I've ever heard has been from the D7000, when I owned them, then later the LCD 2.2 and now the HE-6 (although I do not consider the latter two to be particularly "bass prominent" per se).  Overall, I have come to ultimately prefer balance and even-handedness across the entire frequency spectrum, but without sacrificing extension at both the treble and the bass ends. That is why I like the HE-6, and now the Mikros 90.

Personally, I could never come to terms with C75's description of the MLs having "anemic bass".  That statement simply does not align with my experience of owning/listening to a fair number of products in my time, a few of which--for example, the AKG K501--I might understand one's thinking they were bass anemic (although that did not stop me from really enjoying the K501 for the lengthy time I owned them).  I had a pair of re-cabled ATH-AD700 that I might have considered "bass-challenged" (but they had beautiful midrange).

Could be C75's source equipment and/or simply a function of his own preference.  That's fine with me, and in no manner diminishes my appreciation of what I consider to be the Mikros' excellent, balanced, extended and accurate bass response.  And I'll say it again: the ML Mikros 90 render some of the best bass I have ever heard through a set of headphones/in-ear phones.  : ) 

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #141 of 6,782
Thank you, so in my head, I love the ML's and not giving them a fair turn at home, under more controlled conditions is just a shame. Kiosk listening surely does not rate as an official audition, just a drive by listen, no more.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #142 of 6,782
  PredatorZ,
No.  I just pushed the --> end of the ET-4 into the Mikros recepticle.  It is a bit of a force-fit, but works fine.  
The ET-4 sounds surprisingly good, and seems to be a very suitable cable for the Mikros.  Got mine at Radio Shack, too.  Did not realize that they were an AudioQuest product until later.  (My first pair of "audiophile" speaker cables were a pair of bi-wired AQ Cobalt.)  The ET-4 is, admittedly, a little stiff and microphonic, but since I only listen at home or at the office (not on the go), these are not issues for me.

Here is the connector after I shaved about 1.2 mm off the Circumference. I tried to force it in, but there was no way, so there is a good chance the connector part on the headphones might have some manufacturing variances or parts that have changed during the production runs. I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the headphone, so I modded the end a bit.
 I actually picked up a second Mikros 90 during the black Friday sales, just $60, to good of a deal to resist, never hurts to have a backup pair at these prices. I did do a direct comparison between the freshly unwrapped pair and my well broken in pair, and although I wasn't perfectly scientific, the new pair sounded flatter, with less dynamics and bass punch, the hi notes seemed more recessed and muffled.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #143 of 6,782
 I did do a direct comparison between the freshly unwrapped pair and my well broken in pair, and although I wasn't perfectly scientific, the new pair sounded flatter, with less dynamics and bass punch, the hi notes seemed more recessed and muffled.

You are not imagining things.   After some burn-in my pair really opened up.   The bass extends really low and while there is punchiness and aggressiveness, the bass never invades the other frequencies.   The sound is clean, natural and balanced.  The highs are never sibilant or harsh.   The mids are perfect.

I'm beginning to prefer the Mikros over the Momentum.  They are more balanced and precise -  they have more sub-bass than the Momentum and the bass is more controlled (the Momentum can sound boomy at times).   However, I still think the DT1350 is the best closed portable I've heard.

Headfi Land should really give this model a chance.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #144 of 6,782
Just got this from newegg deal as well. I think it sound quite good, although I've only compared it with PK2. It certainly worth for under $60. However, I felt that the bass is kinda lean, but the mid and highs are quite nice. Gonna burn it in for a lil bit and gonna compare it with z1000. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #145 of 6,782
  No matter what you say, comparing a bunch of headphones in a retail store does not make you an expert on all the headphones you heard.     Sure, you might get an idea on what you liked or did not like, but you will not be better informed than someone who actually owns them and has heard them with different amps and under different conditions.   I don't doubt that you didn't like them, or that your impressions  do not change over extended periods, but that does not make this a bad headphone.  You simply didn't like them.  I simply did not like the Vmodas, but I don't make it my life's mission to try to dissuade people from buying that headphone.

You don't care about the people who agree with pataburd, so what makes you think we care so much about yours?    I'm not saying that your opinion does not matter, but come on, you gave us that opinion many times before.   Heck, you posted  your initial impressions almost a year ago...an opinion based on a quick listen at Best Buy.   I've been to those listening stations at Best Buy and they are absolutely terrible.

In the spirit of the holiday season- you are right, enjoy your Mikros 
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #146 of 6,782
However, I felt that the bass is kinda lean, but the mid and highs are quite nice.

Well, these are definitely not basshead headphones.   They have more bass than the K702s, but the Momentums blow them away when it comes to quantity.    The quality of the bass is where the Mikros shines.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #147 of 6,782

Here is the connector after I shaved about 1.2 mm off the Circumference. I tried to force it in, but there was no way, so there is a good chance the connector part on the headphones might have some manufacturing variances or parts that have changed during the production runs. I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the headphone, so I modded the end a bit.
 I actually picked up a second Mikros 90 during the black Friday sales, just $60, to good of a deal to resist, never hurts to have a backup pair at these prices. I did do a direct comparison between the freshly unwrapped pair and my well broken in pair, and although I wasn't perfectly scientific, the new pair sounded flatter, with less dynamics and bass punch, the hi notes seemed more recessed and muffled.

Curious about what are your impressions of the Pipeline cable.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #148 of 6,782
My impressions of the Pipeline ET-4, it is a bit stiff, and micro-phonic as stated before, but isn't an issue for me. I have been using it with my RS Predator, using my iPod classic 160 Gig or My PC as a source via USB. When connected to my iPod I am using a custom made silver LOD. In both configurations compared to the stock cable the ET-4 seems to not restrict treble as much, allowing more hi end detail and added clarity, cymbals have more shimmer and sparkle. There just seems to be more hi end information, since a cable really can't add anything to a signal, but restrict it in some way, I can only surmise that the ET-4 is much less restrictive in passing a signal, especially in the treble regions.   I didn't do extensive back and forth testing, I just noticed a more pleasing and full sound with the Pipelines. I will try and dedicate an evening to a more serious A/B comparison with music I'm very familiar with. The Mikros 90's are so much more revealing in the bass that I am hearing more of it no matter what I listen too, but just haven't been keying my listening for those differences, but I am intrigued to give it some more study.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #149 of 6,782
  My impressions of the Pipeline ET-4, it is a bit stiff, and micro-phonic as stated before, but isn't an issue for me. I have been using it with my RS Predator, using my iPod classic 160 Gig or My PC as a source via USB. When connected to my iPod I am using a custom made silver LOD. In both configurations compared to the stock cable the ET-4 seems to not restrict treble as much, allowing more hi end detail and added clarity, cymbals have more shimmer and sparkle. There just seems to be more hi end information, since a cable really can't add anything to a signal, but restrict it in some way, I can only surmise that the ET-4 is much less restrictive in passing a signal, especially in the treble regions.   I didn't do extensive back and forth testing, I just noticed a more pleasing and full sound with the Pipelines. I will try and dedicate an evening to a more serious A/B comparison with music I'm very familiar with. The Mikros 90's are so much more revealing in the bass that I am hearing more of it no matter what I listen too, but just haven't been keying my listening for those differences, but I am intrigued to give it some more study.

PZ,
Your observations are consistent with mine regarding the Pipeline ET-4.  Fuller, more dynamic sound, that lets the Mikros 90 come through in a way that they do not with the stock cable.  I think the cable really rounds out the tonality, too.
With about 50 hours, the MLs are really filled out and sound even more satisfying.  What a nice coherent listen they are.  Will listen a bit more tonight: SONY BDP-S580, MillerSound digital cable, Denon AVR-1905 (headphone out), SID disc mat and the trusty old Dakiom F-203.

Just ordered the KEF M500 for an a/b.  I've read that the KEF have abit more bass drive--that should put a smile on C75's face!  : )

PAB

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #150 of 6,782
After a burn in for around 20ish hours, I did another A/B listening with sony z1000 that my roommate has. We used sansa clip and epiphany acoustics amp setup then we tried non amp setup straight from hp laptop. What I found is the treble is somehow crisp er on martin logan, but z1000 is more balance overall. Also I found that the z1000 has more forward vocal while martinlogan mikros90 is more laid back. On a side note the bass has started to come out and wasnt as lean as before; it has tight bass but not that punchy. All in all, for less than $60 bucks i think it's really worth it, but for it's $300 MSRP maybe not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back