Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Oct 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #106 of 6,782
  Flavour of the month (items that seem to be getting a lot of posts at the time, like Schiit stuff).

You can't be seriously saying that the Schiit gear is only driven by hype? We all must be aware that from time to time, new things come along, and they actually deserve their accolades. It is unwise to assume that all hype is unfouned.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #107 of 6,782
They're $85 with free shipping on newegg's current shell shocker for another 6 hours.

I paid $130 a couple of months ago and have seen posts on this forum since then with prices as low as $80 (all from newegg). I don't need 2 sets so I'm not tempted to buy again but thought I'd post here for anyone interested.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #108 of 6,782
Just got mine 3 days ago, have had them burning in with my iPod and Predator running 24/7 on random. I would like to address a few comments, it seems a lot of opinions have been formed at demo kiosks, not really ideal in any way, really the worst case really. With a good amp like the Predator these headphones really rock, the bass is tight and plentiful, accurate, not bloated. tons of detail and slam. As far as fit and comfort I had issues getting them positioned, the trick is they don't sit square on your head, but angled a bit to face towards your ears. For me I set the ear pads just in front of my ear and fold them to my ears, with a little wiggle they sit just right and give a very good seal. Without getting a good seal the sound is flat and much like the best buy descriptions. If you really want to give these a fair chance find someone with a pair and get some time in with them. Martin Logan does recommend that these be burned in for at least 20 hours, helps the surrounds break in and allow the speakers to work as designed. Just driven by my iPod these only sounded average, so they are very revealing of source and setup.

Paid $79.00 with free delivery from Newegg

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #109 of 6,782
Beagle try something I have been doing, set the front edge of the earpiece on your head, just in front of your ear, let that point bear the clamping force and fold the phones back to your ears. For me this has worked, I can wear them for hours with no pain. Also I adjust the length so the edges of my ear lobes just peak out. Thanks for your review, because I really like the Mikros 90, good to see someone else enjoying them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #110 of 6,782
Sent an email off to martin Logan about bending the headband to better fit my skull, originally it had a very round profile.

Scott Gribble , a service technician at martin Logan replied      "Yes, it is possible to “bend” the head band, it is pretty sturdy and it is intended to do this. Some of the guys around here who have these have done the same thing with good results."

So, I bent mine, in a more oblong shape, now the headband makes contact evenly, not just at the crown, helping them better grip my head and not slip around.

Comparing the sound of the Mikros 90 and my slightly modded Grado 325i's, the 90's are most definitely superior in bass, in extension and speed, and plumbing the depths of my recordings. I am hearing bass lines and kick drums like never before, the slam and definition is far better than my Grados. In complex passages, with a lot going on, especially really fast drumming like Lamb of God or the new Avenged Sevenfold, the martin Logans sort it all out, allowing you to hear the deepest notes, where the Grado's started to fail and get mushy in the bass. Using Stereophiles test disc, I could hear the   25hz 1/3-Octive Warble Tone at -20db clearly. The mid-range is very neutral, voiced a lot like my Grado's. On the hi end the 90's really sing without ever being offensive or harsh, and well recorded cymbals have a very realistic shimmer and decay that my Grado's are only a lesser cousin at reproducing. Having over 100 hours of use so far, I am very happy how they have ripened and pair very nicely with my Ray Samuels Predator.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #111 of 6,782
That tip about placing them was really helpful, got back some bass doing that. Still sems to me my experience with the bass isn't as good as yours, likely a fit issue, maybe I need to play with bending the headband a bit. I feel these are like iem's-incredibly sensitive to placement/seal, and the smallest movements have a dramatic effect on the sound, more so than the other on ears I've heard.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #112 of 6,782
I am using a different cable now, while I was in Hastings shopping for CD's I picked up a 3 foot cable from iConnect.

Works perfect, this eliminates the volume control, which in my case is useless when I am amping my iPod Classic. I have been looking for some small connectors like these to do some DIY cables.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #113 of 6,782
Hello Head-Fi, I'm not too interested in these, but if any of you guys are on the fence they're now $60 with free shipping at newegg.

http://dealnews.com/Martin-Logan-Mikros-90-Reference-On-Ear-Headphones-for-60-free-shipping/909996.html

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #114 of 6,782
  Hello Head-Fi, I'm not too interested in these, but if any of you guys are on the fence they're now $60 with free shipping at newegg.

http://dealnews.com/Martin-Logan-Mikros-90-Reference-On-Ear-Headphones-for-60-free-shipping/909996.html

I am not a fan and consider them to be a boring headphone.  That being said, they are the best $60 headphones on the market.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #116 of 6,782
JUST snatched a set of the MIKANOS 90S for less than 60$ including shipping!  what made me order them was
a couple of reviews i read indicating that you get a DRAMATIC improvement of them when connected to a class A
headphone amp like the Ray Samuels Predator...which means they are capable of scaling up in quality with  upgraded
sources , dacs and amps and being true high end.  they are being sold with the AK!00 as a set, and received high
ratings for that combo also over a variety of music.....cant wait to hear them with my dx50!

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #117 of 6,782
  JUST snatched a set of the MIKANOS 90S for less than 60$ including shipping!  what made me order them was
a couple of reviews i read indicating that you get a DRAMATIC improvement of them when connected to a class A
headphone amp like the Ray Samuels Predator...which means they are capable of scaling up in quality with  upgraded
sources , dacs and amps and being true high end.  they are being sold with the AK!00 as a set, and received high
ratings for that combo also over a variety of music.....cant wait to hear them with my dx50!

Hi there, care to share where you got them from and where are they being bundled with the AK100? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #118 of 6,782
Use them with Fiio X3 line out to ALO National Amp, sounds great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #120 of 6,782
Has anybody been able to compare these with the V-Moda M-80 which I own and like? I wouldn't mind trying a new portable sound signature, but it is hard to tell how these might fare against the M-80 and I certainly don't want to move sideways so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back