Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #181 of 6,783
Update on the Mikros 90's after 2 days...When i got the Mikros yesterday i only listened to it directly connected to my windows tablet. Tonight, i used it using my ipod touch (Gen 2) using a line out cable and a Fiio E11 amp and i'm going to take back when i said that the Mikros is not worth the $300 price tag because this thing is sounds great when using an amp. My tracks are not even hi res by any means but this is pretty good. I am really enjoying this headphones compared to my other headphones. What a difference an amp makes! instruments sounds great! just exactly how it suppose to sound. i know now what ML means when they said they designed it to sound like an ESL. It wasn't fair yesterday when i said that it doesn't come close to an ESL sound because i was listening to streaming music (MOG) which i realized shouldn't really be used to review headphones. It's definitely fast like an electrostat. I have really no complaints about the lack of bass on the Mikros 90 because it sounds perfect when amped. oh did i mention that the bass is deep and defined! it's just effortless. in fact the bass response is the best i heard on headphone in this price range. I can't say anything wrong with this headphones and don't understand the bad reps it has received. Maybe teenagers using BEATS headphones are the one's giving it bad reviews :p

I now want to try it using my SACD player and NAD integrated amp. I have been using streaming services like Spotify and MOG so much lately (for convenience reasons) that i forgot how hi res music sounds

This is a steal for $60, but i definitely recommend an amp to drive it. I understand what others said that it could sound anemic for others without an amp. Believe me, It's night and day with an amp. Headphone fit and clamping is not really an issue now. It feels comfortable. You just need to get used to it. BTW, i almost pulled the trigger on the B&W P3 two weeks ago (i have not listened to the P3's) but i'm so glad i went with this.

Im also looking into getting a USB DAC...Anyone have tried or compared async DAC's like the Audioquest dragonfly and HRT Microstreamer?

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #182 of 6,783
As far as the Amperior comparisons, strictly a subjective thing. The  Amperior DOES have more bass, but the ML has better bass…this is not the issue to my ears, though, lots of headphones have strong bass, what the Amperior has is this jump/excitement factor, don't know how exactly to describe it clearly, but I guess a fun signature is what many would describe. While I'd pull the ML for more realism, open space, etc, if I just want to groove/bop/have fun listening, the Amperior is the first I reach for of the bunch.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #183 of 6,783
  Update on the Mikros 90's after 2 days...When i got the Mikros yesterday i only listened to it directly connected to my windows tablet. Tonight, i used it using my ipod touch (Gen 2) using a line out cable and a Fiio E11 amp and i'm going to take back when i said that the Mikros is not worth the $300 price tag because this thing is sounds great when using an amp. My tracks are not even hi res by any means but this is pretty good. I am really enjoying this headphones compared to my other headphones. What a difference an amp makes! instruments sounds great! just exactly how it suppose to sound. i know now what ML means when they said they designed it to sound like an ESL. It wasn't fair yesterday when i said that it doesn't come close to an ESL sound because i was listening to streaming music (MOG) which i realized shouldn't really be used to review headphones. It's definitely fast like an electrostat. I have really no complaints about the lack of bass on the Mikros 90 because it sounds perfect when amped. oh did i mention that the bass is deep and defined! it's just effortless. in fact the bass response is the best i heard on headphone in this price range. I can't say anything wrong with this headphones and don't understand the bad reps it has received. Maybe teenagers using BEATS headphones are the one's giving it bad reviews :p

I now want to try it using my SACD player and NAD integrated amp. I have been using streaming services like Spotify and MOG so much lately (for convenience reasons) that i forgot how hi res music sounds

This is a steal for $60, but i definitely recommend an amp to drive it. I understand what others said that it could sound anemic for others without an amp. Believe me, It's night and day with an amp. Headphone fit and clamping is not really an issue now. It feels comfortable. You just need to get used to it. BTW, i almost pulled the trigger on the B&W P3 two weeks ago (i have not listened to the P3's) but i'm so glad i went with this.

Im also looking into getting a USB DAC...Anyone have tried or compared async DAC's like the Audioquest dragonfly and HRT Microstreamer?

Good to hear you are liking them more and more.   Welcome to the small club of Mikros fans.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #184 of 6,783
  As far as the Amperior comparisons, strictly a subjective thing. The  Amperior DOES have more bass, but the ML has better bass…this is not the issue to my ears, though, lots of headphones have strong bass, what the Amperior has is this jump/excitement factor, don't know how exactly to describe it clearly, but I guess a fun signature is what many would describe. While I'd pull the ML for more realism, open space, etc, if I just want to groove/bop/have fun listening, the Amperior is the first I reach for of the bunch.

I used to own the HD25...from what I've read the signatures are very similar.  If so, what I did not like about the HD25 is the lack of sub-bass, so perhaps the Amperior is also a little deficient in that department.  Everything else was great, and they are indeed a fun headphone. 

The HD25 was also the best at isolation - now I think the ML isolate a little better than the Sennheiser.   The HD25s are built like tanks.  My unit was around 8 years old when I sold it and it looked brand new.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #187 of 6,783
I have to say, the ML does many things better than all my other over/on ear headphones (have collected quite a few, though the most expensive one I have is the Senn 650…could be the $1-2k spread would be even better…I'd expect/hope so for the bucks…). It has that "high end" sound like good components, air between instruments, detail, good edge/shape of instrumental sounds, more like being "there". I dock it some for being incredibly finicky of placement on ears, and that same open, realism sometimes takes away from the "fun"….definitely worth the under $100 now, and I'd say worth while at the original list price. As I like different "flavors" from my headphones, sometimes I'm in the mood for what the ML offers, sometimes the Amperiors or others (Yamaha is also a fun listen).

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #190 of 6,783
Count me in as a Mikros owner who also feels they are a steal. I've had them for about 3 weeks and ldove them. I use them straight out of my iPod with alac files.

Another satisfied owner here. A break of at least 30 hours is a must. Got it for $60 at Newegg.

I'm glad that more members are discovering this great headphone.

So...what are your initial impressions?

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #191 of 6,783
OK, so I emailed ML to ask about possible replacement cables that might fit into the headphones…answered me today, said they didn't know of any (though they figured there must be), it was only intended for replacement by ML cable in case of malfunction. So there you have it.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #192 of 6,783
  OK, so I emailed ML to ask about possible replacement cables that might fit into the headphones…answered me today, said they didn't know of any (though they figured there must be), it was only intended for replacement by ML cable in case of malfunction. So there you have it.

I'm willing to bet that the V-moda cable will work with the Mikros.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #193 of 6,783
Is the V-Moda cable any better than the ML cable?

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #194 of 6,783
  Is the V-Moda cable any better than the ML cable?

Well, the V-Moda is good enough that Dan (Mr. Speaker) used to include the cable with his Mad Dog model.   I'm not sure if he still uses the same cable with the Alpha Dogs.   I would have to compare both cables to be able to really answer your question.  The cable is fairly inexpensive and it seems like a quality product (I used to own a pair of Mad Dogs). 

Perhaps you can search through the Mad Dog thread and read what people think of the cable.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #195 of 6,783
Just wanted to report that Martin Logan has excellent costumer service.  

There was recent pet vs leather pads incident:  the pet won the battle.  I emailed ML to ask about replacement pads - the service representative (a guy named Scott) quickly answered the email and offered me a set of free replacement pads.   Gotta love the few companies out there that still have excellent customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back