Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Dec 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #196 of 6,783
Good to hear Elvergun, from the contact I have had with Martin Logan they are a top flight company concerned about maintaining they're industry leading reputation by providing stellar customer service.
  Glad to hear your headphones didn't suffer more significant damage in the pet war, thankfully my jack Russel Sara has gotten over eating my stuff, and my cat could hardly care I think.  I'm not sure how I would react if I saw her packing my ML's out the doggie door like a few of my Van's have suffered, she prefers Van's for some odd reason, or at least she used to.

A little side note on Bargains

Newegg has the Sennheiser Blue AMPERIOR-BLU 3.5mm Connector Supra-aural Headphones for only $129.95, that's 63% off, right before I ordered a pair they go out of stock, I was waffling on whether to get them.... hehe, was a killer deal 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #197 of 6,783
Same here, needed replacement pads, they sent me a pair quickly, free, no questions asked

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #200 of 6,783
It depends on what you mean by sound quality.

I think that the Mikros has better sound quality than the two you mentioned.   The isolation is very good (they almost do not leak at all).

The bass is very different between the three models.  The Mikros has a lot of bass, but a lot of it is in the sub-bass regions.   The UE and the Pioneer have more midbass punch (going from memory). 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #201 of 6,783
  It depends on what you mean by sound quality.

I think that the Mikros has better sound quality than the two you mentioned.   The isolation is very good (they almost do not leak at all).

The bass is very different between the three models.  The Mikros has a lot of bass, but a lot of it is in the sub-bass regions.   The UE and the Pioneer have more midbass punch (going from memory). 

Well these will be my first pair of quality cans, so I don't have anything else to go off of but reviews.  So I'm not too familiar on how to classify frequency regions.

I like bass, but I'm not a total basshead.  I want everything to be clear and to sound beautiful and immersive. (Does that help?)  I want to just be able to put them on and completely enjoy the music while being as comfortable as possible, with isolation and minimal leakage.

I have a somewhat big head, and I've read that the Mikros aren't very comfortable with big heads. 

The decision would normally be so much easier but having all of these at the same price....I'm going  crazy just trying to get the best bang for the buck.  I need to make sure whatever I choose will last for years.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #202 of 6,783
  Well these will be my first pair of quality cans, so I don't have anything else to go off of but reviews.  So I'm not too familiar on how to classify frequency regions.

I like bass, but I'm not a total basshead.  I want everything to be clear and to sound beautiful and immersive. (Does that help?)  I want to just be able to put them on and completely enjoy the music while being as comfortable as possible, with isolation and minimal leakage.

I have a somewhat big head, and I've read that the Mikros aren't very comfortable with big heads. 

The decision would normally be so much easier but having all of these at the same price....I'm going  crazy just trying to get the best bang for the buck.  I need to make sure whatever I choose will last for years.

What music do you listen to?

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #204 of 6,783
  Everything except country music and 90% of pop music... Indie, singer/songwriter, and hip-hop are the top three. 

This one is a hard one.

See, I think that the Mikros has enough bass to be able to handle hip-hop...

...but I bet you a Fiio amp that 8 out of 10 dentists would probably prefer to listen to hip-hop with something like the HDJ2000.

The Mikros is great with acoustic music...and it can handle rock just fine.  For my tastes, the bass of the Mikros 90s (I'm listening to them right now...but I'm listening to jazz, not hip-hop) is just magnificent.

As far as your big head is concerned, you can stretch the headband until you get a comfortable fit.  I stretched mine and comfort is not a problem.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #206 of 6,783
The build quality of the Mikros is outstanding.  The headphone is mostly made out of leather and metal.  They feel solid...and they feel like you are holding a quality item.   

For rock, acoustic and jazz, I would say that the Mikros is the better headphone (way better).  Read pataburd's first impression a couple of pages back to get an idea of what to expect from the Martin Logans.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #207 of 6,783
A side question... BEST BUY has the Mikros 70 for $99.86, not quite the deal on the 90 's, but no too bad. Trouble is, I haven't heard much about them at all. They look nice in the photo. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #208 of 6,783
Seems to me for Hip-hop might do better with the Pioneers, or the Yamaha HPH-200,or the Sennheiser Amperiors (ones that I have), though none of them has the openness and purity of sound of the MLs. More midbass and punch, though, and all really nice sounding.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #209 of 6,783
  The build quality of the Mikros is outstanding.  The headphone is mostly made out of leather and metal.  They feel solid...and they feel like you are holding a quality item.   

For rock, acoustic and jazz, I would say that the Mikros is the better headphone (way better).  Read pataburd's first impression a couple of pages back to get an idea of what to expect from the Martin Logans.

:// These are so tempting since I can get them even cheaper than the other two.  I just don't know what to do.  I've looked all over the internet and keep reading opposing views saying that they aren't worth the original price tag or hype.  The other two are pretty much acclaimed but with these... there isn't enough info.  Not even a good review on youtube.  Then again, what do I know? Haha, I've only owned cheap earphones until now.

I'm feeling really conflicted on what to choose.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #210 of 6,783
alexv,

I'll second elvergun's endorsement.  

Have been a/b-ing the Mikros 90 and the highly-touted KEF M500 for the last few weeks and in my mind there is no contest.  The MLs retrieve a LOT more information than the KEFs, extend further in the treble and the bass frequencies, resolve much more thoroughly and trounce the M500 in virtually every other respect.  

For classical, jazz, pop (I listened to Michael Jackson's landmark "Off the Wall" last night), world, show, chamber, acoustic, country and rock (from the 60s and 70s), the Mikros 90--in my ears--are among the best headphones I have ever heard/owned to date, and I have heard quite a few.  They do require ample burn-in, 50-100 hours IMHO, need a little effort to optimize placement on the ear/head and benefit greatly from an after-market cable (I am currently using the Pipeline ET-4 to great advantage).  The MLs scale up very well with better equipment.  In my comparisons between the M500 and the Mikros 90, better equipment emphasized the comparative weaknesses of the KEFs but highlighted the comparative strengths of the MLs.  (The KEFs are currently up for sale.  The popular preference on H-F for the M500 over the Mikros 90 quite frankly baffles me.)

If you like detail, frequency extension, an airy presentation, transparency with full measure of musical transcendency, the Mikros 90 deliver in spades.  Period.  They also seal well and leak little--another area where the Mikros 90 easily bettered the M500.

Also see:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694010/comparison-of-sennheiser-amperior-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-martin-logan-micros-90-and-yamaha-hph-200-or-how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695615/kef-m500-versus-martin-logan-mikros-90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back