Martin Customs Thread
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #136 of 246
Anyone get a set of the aluminum gimbals yet? feedback...

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #137 of 246

Quote:

If he packaged a set of rodblocks with them, i'd buy them already but 150 for hangers is a bit much for me... =(

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #138 of 246
Hey fellas,
Still looking at about 3-4 weeks lead time on the gimbals.  

@Chris, 
I'll give some thought into the rodblock/gimbal package.  It's a tough one, cause often people want the wood to match or contrast in a certain way with their can cups.  So it would be tough matching the rodblocks without using the same piece of wood that their cups were cut from, so typically that would be the FWJ scenario.  I think I'll need to look into Aluminum rodblocks as an option.   Actually, once I get my DIY CNC machine and figure it out, I could program it to build rodblocks which would bring the price down quite substantially.  But that also takes the whole "hand-crafted" out of the equation, which I don't really want to do.

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this picture of me with the Graziano's clamped to my melon at work.  Giant killer?  In the most literal sense.  

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #140 of 246
Haha, holy crap. How are those on the ol' neck?

Actually, once I get my DIY CNC machine and figure it out, I could program it to build rodblocks which would bring the price down quite substantially.  But that also takes the whole "hand-crafted" out of the equation, which I don't really want to do.

I can understand that from a craftsman's point of view, but I think you'd have them flying out the door if you could CNC them and sell at a lower price-point.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #142 of 246

Quote:
What's the benefit of having larger cups? 

Typically greater bass impact, but if you're not careful, things can get echoey and muddy.  These were built at the request of someone who wanted the largest possible cups and deepest chambers I could make.  I had no idea how they would sound and neither did he, but they actually sound really nice.  There is no muddiness that I can detect and it has greater bass impact. 

Quote:
Haha, holy crap. How are those on the ol' neck? 

Actually, this are quite light and comfortable.  I have listened to them for upwards of about an hour without any issues.  I haven't had time to put them on for greater than that, but to me, the weight and comfort seem to be a non-issue. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #145 of 246

Quote:

damn Marty they look like a pair of boobs stuck to the side of your head.

Seems like a great place to be stuck between.  No?

Quote:
  If he packaged a set of rodblocks with them, i'd buy them already but 150 for hangers is a bit much for me... =(

Quote:
I can understand that from a craftsman's point of view, but I think you'd have them flying out the door if you could CNC them and sell at a lower price-point.

I have a call into my CNC guy and we'll be taking a look at designing and pricing some matching aluminum rod blocks.  Personally, I much prefer the wood rod blocks, but the durability of Aluminum would be quite nice and very appealing.  Stay tuned.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #147 of 246
I believe I bought the 2nd spot out of that exhibition grade block of Amboyna Burl that Marty has on his website. I'm leaving the cup design to Marty to maximize the beauty of the wood, but I have pointed him in the direction of a few different cups I like so he has kind of an idea space to work with.

I haven't figured out the rest of the design, but I want the dark bronze OCC copper cabling. I'm getting the aluminum gimbals and wood blocks and a head band (I was thinking black). I'm still talking with Marty about gimbal color, which is going to heavily effect overall look, and I may end up going with a brown headband and the coffee brown gimbal, although originally I was heading more towards black gimbals and black headbands, possibly with gold end caps. We'll see what I end up with.

I think the only Grado thing left in them will be the metal part of the headband that's he going to cover up pretty good. He has those Palicc plugs, but I was kind of wanting to try the Neutrik Slimline, so I may ship him one.

Oh yah, and they are going to have Magnum V4's in them....

Quote:
Eventually cables always come up in mod threads! Glad to see this didn't take a page to resolve!

Someone here should get a set made in Amboyna burl! I have them on my CIEMs and its gorgeous!

And just noticed the price of the aluminum gimbals are out.. 150 for a set seems reasonable! If he's offering a pair in a bronze shade, imagine how good that would look with wood..

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #148 of 246

Quote:

I'll be the first to get those..or rather the person Marty is shipping to and I was given a month or so wait time so won't be until after that

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #149 of 246
I'm a gonna' be likin' mine jes' fine.  http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #150 of 246
^^ very nice pics 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back