Martin Customs Thread
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #93 of 246
Yeah,  I plan on getting a set in the near future...

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #97 of 246
OMG What! I hope the owner of these headphones doesn't mind me posting this picture that just appeared on the blog... DAMN these are incredibly beautiful in every way

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #99 of 246

Quote:
IF I have any critique it would be that the rods are unnecessarily long (whose ears are so low they'd need the gimbals with that much adjustment?) ........ and maybe the gimbals themselves are a bit wide. Would be more classy if they tapered down, except for around the mounting mechanism. I do like how the rods and pins are threaded and re-movable. Nice touch.

iirc the rods aren't that much longer if at all than any other Grado headphone I've seen pictures. However it is just a picture and it is not in front of me but I don't think it will be an issue. It looks amazing :)

Quote:
OMG What! I hope the owner of these headphones doesn't mind me posting this picture that just appeared on the blog... DAMN these are incredibly beautiful in every way

It definitely looks gorgeous. It's amazing how that used to just be a small driver turned into a work of art by Martin. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #100 of 246

I think thats just an effect of the picture, he has the cups all the way up to the headband. Nobody's head is that small, so I'm speculating that on a normal adult head... they would be midway on those rods. 

Personally I like the tapered out side pins, If I'm spending cash on headphone aesthetics... I want to accentuate not hide. (IMO of course)
Quote:
IF I have any critique it would be that the rods are unnecessarily long (whose ears are so low they'd need the gimbals with that much adjustment?) ........ and maybe the gimbals themselves are a bit wide. Would be more classy if they tapered down, except for around the mounting mechanism. I do like how the rods and pins are threaded and re-movable. Nice touch.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #102 of 246
Thanks guys!  FWJ #005 and now #006 are my favorites without a doubt.  

I'll post more info on the blog as I get an idea of the price and finishing touches on the gimbals.  For one thing, the thumb screws will have shorter caps so they won't protrude quite as far.  I'm also working on a conical, pointy type shape for the thumb screws as an alternative, to give that edgy feel versus the kinda art decco feel I was going for on these.  

Anyway, glad you all like them.  

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #105 of 246
They'll be offered in black, copper, coffee brown and I think a few sets will be black with silver hardware.  At least this is the intention right now.  

The length and diameter of the rods is identical to the rods on the plastic Grado gimbals. I have an average size head and with a normal set of Grados I don't have to use any of the length of the rods.  But with this particular set, I pull the rods down alittle bit for a perfect fit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back