Marshall's new cans, the Monitor headphones
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #152 of 166
It's a real shame these headphones don't get more love.  I know they're not the best sounding headphones out there, but they are great for classic rock.  To me the sound from these remind me of my old JCM 800 I used for over a decade.  When I put these on and listen to some old 70's or 80's rock, I can almost smell the cigarettes and taste the watered down JD from the dive bars we used to play.  I know these were made by a third party, but Marshall must have had a hand in it.  Would love to see what they could bring in a updated version.

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #153 of 166
Just bought some "like new" Marshall Monitors on Amazon for < $32 including shipping.  I figure they can't be too bad for that price and I love the look!

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #156 of 166
Yes, I'm anticipating a lot of joy for $32 given what I've read about them on this thread so far and I know some people liked them in spite of the looks, but I find them quite stylish in a rugged way.

I'm actually keen on getting the Marshall Major II Bluetooth and they're only $110 brand new on Amazon right now with prime shipping but I have a pending sale to get some used gold Grado SR325i cans from a fellow Head Fi'er so I can't justify a $110 additional headphone purchase right now...

But $32...? :smirk::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Figure it might give me some hint of the Marshall house sound for headphones....?

You should be pleasantly surprised. They may as well have handed them to you for free at that price ☺️

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #157 of 166
You should be pleasantly surprised. They may as well have handed them to you for free at that price ☺️

Yes, I'm anticipating a lot of joy for $32 given what I've read about them on this thread so far and I know some people liked them in spite of the looks, but I find them quite stylish in a rugged way.

I'm actually keen on getting the Marshall Major II Bluetooth and they're only $110 brand new on Amazon right now with prime shipping but I have a pending sale to get some used gold Grado SR325i cans from a fellow Head Fi'er so I can't justify a $110 additional headphone purchase right now...

But $32...? :smirk::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Figure it might give me some hint of the Marshall house sound for headphones....?
I am a fan of their looks, functionality and ruggedness. I won't claim them to be the best of the best, however they are amazing all rounders and handle all genres with confidence. The only thing I would say they could've done with is a more prominent mid range as well as more superior instrument separation. Everything else I am an absolute fan of. They are my go to cans for trekking to and from work for the past 2 years. The only cans for the same use i would go for over these for on the road use are the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, I just don't know whether they'd be as long lasting.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #158 of 166
I am a fan of their looks, functionality and ruggedness. I won't claim them to be the best of the best, however they are amazing all rounders and handle all genres with confidence. The only thing I would say they could've done with is a more prominent mid range as well as more superior instrument separation. Everything else I am an absolute fan of. They are my go to cans for trekking to and from work for the past 2 years. The only cans for the same use i would go for over these for on the road use are the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, I just don't know whether they'd be as long lasting.

Try eq-ing a gentle slope from around 2k up and see what you think. I went from thinking they were ok, to loving them

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #161 of 166
Funny you should mention the ATH-MSR7, I was just at the gym using what are probably can be fairly called their little baby brother cans, the ATH-SR5BT, very similar styling and sound signature, and I really dig them, and I don't expect the Marshal Monitor headphones to be as detailed as them, but I think they will have a beefier sound which will do well out and about.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #162 of 166
Funny you should mention the ATH-MSR7, I was just at the gym using what are probably can be fairly called their little baby brother cans, the ATH-SR5BT, very similar styling and sound signature, and I really dig them, and I don't expect the Marshal Monitor headphones to be as detailed as them, but I think they will have a beefier sound which will do well out and about.
That's how I would describe the Monitors compared to the Audio Technicas. Let us know your thoughts once you receive them.

May 14, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #165 of 166
Hi there!

I just received the MM as a headphone for listening while traveling and working. The sound is quite likeable, although sound stage is very compressed for my taste (using an AKG K550 at home). Build quality is top notch and there are nice touches like the option to daisy-chain additional headphones.

Here comes the but...

The clamping force is rather strong and after 30 minutes of listening, I get a headache. To all of you who have had the MM for some time now: does the clamping force lessen with time as you use the headphone.

Right now it looks like I will send it back. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back