Marshall London - Audiophile smartphone
Jun 6, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #106 of 139
  Here in Finland it sells for 349 €. 

damn.... apparently it's made available in Hong Kong for real expensive price only.... 
and damn.... I couldn't resist the temptation and just bought one from them.... love it but damn that money they are asking for it.....
plus I just checked over the Marshall website, those lucky Brits who order from Marshall UK can get a free Major II Android as well!!?? I got the Major II Bluetooth already so it's not like I need the Major II Android but What has gone wrong in Hong Kong?

Sorry for the bad words.... this fella here is getting kind of emotional for that price bs.... but yeah I LOVE the Marshall London :) Looks good, feels good, love the music details, first expected it to offer real ****ty "smartphone performance" so when I get my hands on it it doesn't feel so ****ty at all. I switched from a premium smartphone (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium) to it so yeah the London is much slower, Android is still the Lollipop,  the display is 720p... the so-called "downgraded" list can go on and on but I know what I'm switching to here: a good looking light weight device that plays the music I love nicely, a) IT PLAYS MUSIC NICELY! and b) it's a MARSHALL!! the smartphone feature comes SECOND. Putting the London under the "smartphone" category might be easier for Marshall to tell the market what's the product they are offering, but to me I think the Marshall London is more like a "lifestyle portable electronic device" that comes with great design, great music performance, love the Universal EQ its like no other free EQ app out there, love how smart and well designed "edjing London" DJ app, a nice free in-ear headphone, phone and other general daily use apps features (for me: Whatsapp, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, NewsRepublic, Gmail and a few local movie tickets purchase app, that's it), all the spec and functions combined is the perfect mix for a device this size. I'm the kind of a-hole who switch to a new premium phone whenever a new one is available, and I got a feeling that I'm going to stick to my Marshall London for at least a couple of years. Really I never felt so excited and in love with a new phone in my hand before.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #107 of 139
I got mine last December as something of a Christmas bundle. The phone came with the regular Mode EQ earphones and Marshall Monitor headphones. Total price was 550 €. I thought the price was reasonable concerning the specs and the fact that the manufacturer hadn’t exactly established itself as a good quality smartphone maker. It’s quite rare in these days that a company in Scandinavia produces anything exciting – especially since Nokia went the way of Dodo. Usually it's the other way around. By the time the latest trend arrives on our shores, the prices have gone down at least 1/3 everywhere else, but here in EU it still sells for the initial launch day price. As such, I share your pain.

It does sound great. Unfortunately the software isn't up to snuff. Latest firmware update is from last February or so, and it’s still Lollipop. I don’t really need to have the latest release to be happy, but I do appreciate an active development. Or at least some form of communication as to what’s going on. Zound Industries has so far failed for both.

It’s also unfortunate that to enjoy hassle free music, one has to stick to those not that great Mode EQ earphones since they have inbuilt remote to control the device. If you don’t use them, then you have to fish London out of your pocket and turn screen on every time you want to skip a track or change album or whatever, because there’s no way to do that with the device’s volume wheel / button or the gimmicky M-button. I find this sort of design failure utterly idiotic. If you are marketing a smart phone for niche segment – that’s us the music lovers – try to avoid the sort of design that gets in the way of actually enjoying the music. Obviously this would be a simple fix in software to allow for custom configuration for the M-button (one click = play, two clicks = next track, three clicks = previous track) but since this has plagued the thing from get go, you are just going to have to live with it. Meh.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #108 of 139
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #109 of 139
... I thought the Marshalls were assembled in England. Are they?

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #110 of 139
According to Android Authority: "We were told at IFA that the Marshall London was
designed from the ground up in Sweden, and then manufactured for sale in
England and across other parts of Europe."

The "Marshall" part of the phone is licensed to a Swedish company Zound Industries and I
would assume that the "other parts of Europe" is a roundabout way of saying "Eastern Europe".
Which should be no surprise since the phone has to be commercially viable to begin with and
shaving down manufacturing costs is one way of just doing that ...

... The other way is non-existent software support. According to the tech support at MarshallHP:

"I am afraid it is uncertain at this time if we will update to Marshmallow.
Please watch the Software Manager for further updates.

Thanks, let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Best regards, Sherri"

Quite pathetic. Especially when you consider the fact that the Marshmallow update was one
of the selling points a year ago.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #111 of 139
I was seriously considering one to replace a very cheap LG phone that I had and a 64GB iPhone 4S that I was using purely as a portable music player, but was completely full even with my music compressed to MP3.

The Marshall phone looked very, very cool.

But I was hesitant about the card slot which could only take 64GB cards (or was it 32GB?), which wasn't anywhere near enough for a complete music library in MP3, never mind lossless, never mind hi-res.  There was a promise of a firmware update coming later to upgrade the capacity.  But I don't buy products based on promises, as promises never materialise. They shouldn't have released an unfinished product.  I kept asking them whether the update would support large capacity cards greater than 128GB but it was very difficult to get a straight answer from them.  They didn't know. They hadn't tested. They can't say whether there will be a further update.  I kept telling them that 128GB wasn't enough for a device that is supposedly marketed on its capability to play hi-res music.

I also asked about the capabilites of the music app, as very rarely does a music player app actually cater for people who are serious about their music, i.e. the tags and menus they provide are very basic and not much use.  Again, they didn't know, they would have to contact the developers etc etc.  Anyway, it turns out it can't read Album Artist.  So I submitted a suggestion for the app to be upgraded to use Album Artist, along with a few other suggestions to make the app easier to use, as they are common mistakes that are made by software developers of music players.  They were non-committal, wouldn't guarantee anything, wouldn't say if there were ever going to be any further updates.

I assume that there have been no updates.  I don't know, I gave up asking them.

So I've now bought a Pioneer XD-100R Android DAP populated with two cards, total storage capacity 432GB.

Zound Industries have got the rights to use the Marshall branding, but they've made a complete mess of this phone. It had very average specs to start with, went quickly out of date within a couple of months, and they refuse to support it. Support staff don't know abut the product they are selling.  It's a hit-and-run to sell off the back of iconic branding, with no plans in place for supporting it and improving it.

I'm sure people who have bought one are happy with it (are they?), but the experience I had with their support, sales and marketing staff was laborious, tedious and hard work and didn't give me any confidence that they wanted to sell the product.

As I kept telling them, I look forward to a London MkII, but since I've now given up waiting and bought an expensive DAP, I doubt I'll be buying an expensive London phone on the basis of its prowess as an Android phone.  It needs to be around a third of the price in the current market.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #112 of 139
damn.... apparently it's made available in Hong Kong for real expensive price only.... 
and damn.... I couldn't resist the temptation and just bought one from them.... love it but damn that money they are asking for it.....
plus I just checked over the Marshall website, those lucky Brits who order from Marshall UK can get a free Major II Android as well!!?? I got the Major II Bluetooth already so it's not like I need the Major II Android but What has gone wrong in Hong Kong?

Sorry for the bad words.... this fella here is getting kind of emotional for that price bs.... but yeah I LOVE the Marshall London :) Looks good, feels good, love the music details, first expected it to offer real ****ty "smartphone performance" so when I get my hands on it it doesn't feel so ****ty at all. I switched from a premium smartphone (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium) to it so yeah the London is much slower, Android is still the Lollipop,  the display is 720p... the so-called "downgraded" list can go on and on but I know what I'm switching to here: a good looking light weight device that plays the music I love nicely, a) IT PLAYS MUSIC NICELY! and b) it's a MARSHALL!! the smartphone feature comes SECOND. Putting the London under the "smartphone" category might be easier for Marshall to tell the market what's the product they are offering, but to me I think the Marshall London is more like a "lifestyle portable electronic device" that comes with great design, great music performance, love the Universal EQ its like no other free EQ app out there, love how smart and well designed "edjing London" DJ app, a nice free in-ear headphone, phone and other general daily use apps features (for me: Whatsapp, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, NewsRepublic, Gmail and a few local movie tickets purchase app, that's it), all the spec and functions combined is the perfect mix for a device this size. I'm the kind of a-hole who switch to a new premium phone whenever a new one is available, and I got a feeling that I'm going to stick to my Marshall London for at least a couple of years. Really I never felt so excited and in love with a new phone in my hand before.
I will be purchasing a MLondon phone to use solely as a source for my LH Labs Infinity dac/amplifier! I really like the way the London sounds ( heard it on YouTube ) and the eq kicks in nicely with hardly no distortion! I think the London, Infinity, and LH Labs Revive will make for a great combination, possibly even an insane one! I don't care at all about its phone capabilities as I won't be using that portion of the phone at all! Are you still enjoying the phone?

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #113 of 139
I will be purchasing a MLondon phone to use solely as a source for my LH Labs Infinity dac/amplifier! I really like the way the London sounds ( heard it on YouTube ) and the eq kicks in nicely with hardly no distortion! I think the London, Infinity, and LH Labs Revive will make for a great combination, possibly even an insane one! I don't care at all about its phone capabilities as I won't be using that portion of the phone at all! Are you still enjoying the phone?

Yeah im still enjoying mine :D My lovely Marshall London + a "Sennheiser IE 800 look-a-like" in ear from an unknown chinese manufacturer, 3% of the legit IE800's price but 60%-70% of IE800's performance, sweet and detailed sound all round, as a music player the Marshall London is one fine piece of art! You won't be disappointed :D

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #114 of 139
Yeah im still enjoying mine :D My lovely Marshall London + a "Sennheiser IE 800 look-a-like" in ear from an unknown chinese manufacturer, 3% of the legit IE800's price but 60%-70% of IE800's performance, sweet and detailed sound all round, as a music player the Marshall London is one fine piece of art! You won't be disappointed :D
I am really glad to hear that! I'll have it in approximately three weeks! I will tell you all about this rig once complete!!:)

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #115 of 139
Dude, I received my London yesterday and when I connected it to my LH Labs Revive/V2+ Infinite; it kicked ass!!! Everything I hear is super crisp and clear, it boosted the already sweet sound of the L H Labs Infinite to limitless heights, all I can shout is WOW!!! Totally. Totally. Totally satisfied with the $285.00 I spent on the London, yes.yes.yes!!!

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #117 of 139
and how does this compare to V10?  or ZTE? 

can Marshall London beat V10 and ZTE's Hi-Fi mode??

and why is Marshall London so rare??? it's been almost a year since they announced it... some Ebay sellers are selling London but it's very hard to find London at retail stores. 

Its $600 price tag doesn't make any sense to me.... you can buy Sony Xperia Z for that money.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #118 of 139
Dude, I received my London yesterday and when I connected it to my LH Labs Revive/V2+ Infinite; it kicked ass!!! Everything I hear is super crisp and clear, it boosted the already sweet sound of the L H Labs Infinite to limitless heights, all I can shout is WOW!!! Totally. Totally. Totally satisfied with the $285.00 I spent on the London, yes.yes.yes!!!

Oh yeah! told you, it's a lovely device to have in your pocket :D I'm still using it and I'm still loving it! I don't know how much you like the Marshall brand but I like it a lot, it's so exciting and such an enjoyable experience when I was opening the packing, the packing is really nice for me too :D

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #119 of 139
  Oh yeah! told you, it's a lovely device to have in your pocket :D I'm still using it and I'm still loving it! I don't know how much you like the Marshall brand but I like it a lot, it's so exciting and such an enjoyable experience when I was opening the packing, the packing is really nice for me too :D

so how does London sound when compared to AK100 II, AK120 ? 
Does it sound close? 

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #120 of 139

and why is Marshall London so rare??? it's been almost a year since they announced it... some Ebay sellers are selling London but it's very hard to find London at retail stores. 

Its $600 price tag doesn't make any sense to me.... you can buy Sony Xperia Z for that money.

I've never used the V10 nor ZTE before so it'll be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE for me to do any comparison. One thing I'm 100% sure that you're right is that it's expensive, as in Cost-Performance Value. ok, now you are confused arent you? I said the Marshall London plays music well but at a low CP Value? Is there something wrong with my head? No, I repeat. Yes it plays music well, and No, the CP value is low. So what seems to be the problem? Marshall London as a Smartphone is the problem.
Before i get my hands on the Marshall London I was using Sony Xperia Z5 Premium happily. At first, I bought the Marshall London all because of the way it looks (the black leather design) and the brand itself (which I like it a lot!). As a smartphone it runs on Lollipop (Android 5.0.2), Qualcomm Snapdragon 410, 2GB of RAM and a 720p screen.The specs are complete disasters to people who prefer a premium smartphone, or at least one that you can play games on smoothly. The motion is kind of slow when you swipe through pages, the 720p screen doesn't look very sharp, the back gets a little hot after 5mins on Youtube.... etc. If you want it as a Smartphone, the Marshall London is a NO for many people, I think it's fair to say that.
So what's good about it? The biggest reason for me to stick to my Marshall London is that it makes me feel good. What? Yeah, it makes me feel good. It delivers decent details when it's playing music, the way their engineers tuned it made the music playback sound sweet and warm; it's not something that you'll see everybody using out there, it is your own personality; it's so unique that it's kind of difficult to find a perfect fit screen protector, and almost impossible to find a protective case/ bumper (but well if you do, it covers up your Marshall London so why use it? no, the screen protector is the only additional item I bought for my Marshall London). It is a package of feelings and values about yourself. It falls short for a music playing smartphone charging that kind of money, but it's more than just another music playing smartphone. The closest example that i can think of would be.... a premium price full-body massage chair that's not so good with the massage, but the seat and cushions are so comfy that make you feel like to sleep there in the living room instead of sleeping in your queen size bed in your bedroom. Wife & kids will stare at you in the morning wondering what the hack is wrong with you, but when you wake up, well rested, your body so energized and your mind so clear. You'll just look at them with a smile and say "Good morning" and nothing else, no words needed, it's an experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back