Marshall London - Audiophile smartphone
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #136 of 139

So, do you estimate that ZTE Axon 7 Mini is a good smartphone for audiophiles... Ok, I'll keep this in mind when choosing a phone.
I've just checked specifications and the price, it's really good for specs, and I see it has 2 front speakers, like HTC. Here, its price is 170 euros. That's very good. Thx.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #137 of 139
2. If it happens that I eventually get that Marshall London, what do you think I can expect from it? I emphasize, in that case, I will not have the service, the guarantee, the parts etc... so, what do you think, will the phone work? How long? What problems will I encounter? What are its failures?

I've been using mine as a music player since December of 2016, and its been great. There were more bugs before the 2017 software update, but the bigger things like the volume wheel not always responding and the headphone jacks not always being detected were fixed. I do not use it as a phone, nor have I ever had it connected to service. I still get good battery life, and I haven't had any issues with processor speed inhibiting regular use. The microphones are amazing, and are the first I've tried that dont get blown out at concerts. The front speakers are loud and the stereo effect from them is noticeable. It's been everything I want in a PMP and I'll keep using it until the battery dies. I've been unable to source a replacement battery, but I've heard that marshall is decent about sending out replacements on request.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #138 of 139
Caltemus, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm waiting for several options considering good audio-smartphones, based on opinions of members of the forum (including
as well Marshall L); so I'll take the first one which comes to me. I'll let you know about my final choice. Thx to all members. :))

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #139 of 139
Finally managed to pick up a London Marshall in decent shape on the (fairly) cheap ! I'd been looking for one ever since I saw this smartphone recording test here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/22699_Testing_smartphone_audio_captu.php where it did as well as the reference live recording smartphone, the Nokia 808.

The battery seems to be in a decent shape, so that's a relief since replacement batteries were never made available. Someone posted here that Marshall still have some but not sure how that would work since the guarantee periods are up now.

I'm happy to report that it can record in lossless stereo with the RecForge Pro II app although you have to push up the gain quite a bit so I'm not sure how that will work in quiet environments...

The music playback is very good using the "Rock" preset and I've found that my favorite local streaming app, Subsonic, is controlled directly by the Marhsall "M" button, which did not appear to be the case originally as it only worked with the in-house app ?

Not sure if I have the latest firmware version tough because I don't find the volume scroll wheel to be very smooth when raising/lowering the sound and I got worried when it didn't detect that "Headphone 1" had been unplugged. It can't find any updates though so maybe they can't be downloaded anymore or it has already been updated. Anyone know how to check for that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back