Marantz HD-DAC1
Aug 6, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #668 of 1,283
  Anyone use the HD DAC1 as a preamp? If so, what amp do you use and how good do you think it works as a preamp?

I originally bought the HD DAC1 with the intention of using it as a pre-amp. I had an old YAMAHA A700 (mid 1980's) integrated amplifier which had been modified with pre-out and main-in sockets. The tone controls etc. were oxidized and there were intermittent connections - it all seemed to be in the pre-amp, so I figured I could use the HD-DAC1 as a pre-amp instead (an important factor when buying the HD-DAC1 was that it allowed for controlling the volume remotely). It worked and sounded great, but I also really loved the HD-DAC1 as a headphone dac/amp in the bedroom. With the TV and stereo set up in the living room I realized it had become very rare that I listen to music through my stereo and speakers - sounds so much better through headphones! Not that my stereo or speakers are bad, but the living room is far from ideal acoustically, so it was never as satisfying. So I ended up not using the HD-DAC1 as a preamp - bought a new integrated amplifier for the stereo, which is mainly used when watching TV.

To answer your last question, I think the HD-DAC1 works great as a pre-amp - and the DAC is absolutely phenomenal, so it is a great way of getting your digital music files to sound their best, even through speakers! Of course, compared to old-style pre-amps, your choice of various inputs is limited, but if you can live with that limitation, it works brilliantly as pre-amp as well as a DAC.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #669 of 1,283
Marantz have finally introduced the matching CD player to their MusicLink range.The HD-CD1

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hifi&subcatid=sacdcdplayer&productid=hdcd1

A bit of a shame they didn't release just a CD transport as this will no doubt be used in conjunction with the DAC1 and or AMP1 and the internal DAC will be redundant really. SACD support would have also been nice.

It does however boast a dedicated headphone amp and is therefore on my future wish list (as an dying breed owner of hundreds of CDs) as an all in one compact mainly CD based headphone system.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #671 of 1,283
That faux wood CD tray doesn't look too good...

Maybe not but matches the wood-effect plastic on the sides of this and other items in the range. Coolly ironic retro kitsch for those in the know.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #672 of 1,283
I'm curious if anyone has any comparisons of the Marantz versus any "less-tubey" tube amp/dac combos like the Woo WA7, for example (ideally 2nd Gen with the better dac) or any of the Schiit stacks incorporating a Bifrost and Vali, Valhalla or Lyr (or even the new Jotunheim with DAC module).

I've always been a fan of the slightly analogue-sounding Marantz "House Sound" and would buy the HD-DAC1 in a flash if not for its size (perhaps a silly reason, but I'm seriously short of desk/shelf space for a unit almost 11" deep). It sounds like the Cirrus DAC does a pretty good job pulling out good resolution with any hard edges smoothed out by the amp section -- exactly what I'm looking for to tame my Beyers. Detail and good PRaT without fatigue. 

This thread should also probably be moved to the Headphone Amps section where it better belongs

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #673 of 1,283
Well I pulled the plug on this DAC. My Dacmagic Plus pretty much died after two years of increasingly frequent high pitched squealing.

I am excited to see how this unit will perform mated via King Cobras to a Zamp v.3 with ProAc Tablette speakers.

Q. 4 the illuminati here: I noticed the headphone amp is also very good, would a Senn. HD800 be a worthy match or overkill 
for this unit? 

Update:
The HD-DAC1 is getting the child prodigy's Wieneer Klassik at 24 bit ASIO  from an online 1000kbps FLAC station, I tried also non-ASIO 192kHz and high bitrate non-FLAC but it does not compare to the ears of this owner of 700 SACDs.

Honestly, to this simpleton subjective desktop audiophile the Marantz is a significant improvement over the DacMagic Plus it replaces.
Long live HDAM or whatever op-amps and caps make the magic happen in this box. Xxxx, how am I ever going to get some sleep with 
so much bliss?

Now can't wait to try out the second hand Austrian made AKG K702 I scored on ebay.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #674 of 1,283
Could someone give a straight answer to:  Is the Marantz HD-Amp1 a better or equal headphone amp compared to the HD  DAC-1?  Just a straight and simple answer would be nice, not a reference to something else. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #675 of 1,283
  Could someone give a straight answer to:  Is the Marantz HD-Amp1 a better or equal headphone amp compared to the HD  DAC-1?  Just a straight and simple answer would be nice, not a reference to something else. Thanks!

there is no simple answer -- this hobby is way too personal.  did you check out this thread -- tons of info there:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/730055/marantz-hd-dac1

imo, it's also an apples to oranges comparison.  the hd-amp1 has a better dac in it and is more versatile, including the dedicated circuitry for the headphone section.  i'm not clear on whether the headphone circuitry is the same in the hd-dac1 or not.  if they're the same, then the hd-amp1 looks like the better deal because of the better dac and the ability to add speakers.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back