Marantz HD-DAC1
Nov 3, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #601 of 1,283
I have similar observations regarding USB, coax and fiber, slightly preferring coax, but difference is very subtle. I find that the best SQ comes from the USB flash with WAV files (unfortunately FLAC is not supported on this input). I was wondering if this is because no (dirty) power comes in and no cables are involved so this could be "pure" USB signal?
If somebody is using USB "cleaners" with HD-DAC1 like eg. Uptone Regen, can you please compare the SQ between the latter and the same file over USB flash? This is something that has been bugging me for a while.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #603 of 1,283
Glad to report Marantz have a new unit ready out of the oven: http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20151104_728760.html

If I had a pair of KEF LS50 I would have love to buy this, but for now I will stick with my DAC-1 and TH900.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #604 of 1,283
Looks very interesting

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #607 of 1,283
  Marantz HD-DAC1 vs Naim DAC-V1

Which one is better choice - if I grade the three roles of device from the most to the least important to me - like this:
#1 - head-amp
#2 - pre-amp
#3 - DAC

Thank you!

I have never heard Naim. my impression on HDDAC1 is...
headamp section is tad too crispy and sharp, i need external class A amps for HDDAC1 for my prefernce.
i think HDDAC1 is good as a DAC which sounds very clean.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #609 of 1,283
Have anyone tried change power cable for better performance?  Just got my HD-dac1 for a month or so and really liked the sound it output.   But I am thinking for the possibility of optimizing what I have on hand.  Since Dac/amp is sensitive to power source, I am thinking to replace the original power cord with Vovox initio power cord.  Do you think It will improve the sound performance?  Thank you.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #612 of 1,283
FYI, my modded EQed HD800 + HDDAC1 combo sound slightly a bit edgy and too crispy IMO.
*maybe* HD700 + HDDAC1 combo sounds similaly edgy i guess. sorry i don't own HD700. so i can't test now.
HD650 + HDDAC1 combo sounds almost NO edginess for me IMO.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #614 of 1,283
Yes I will too report that the headphone output on the DAC1 is a bit...bright and unrefined, almost sharp, so to speak,  it's not bad, but it takes away from the DAC section and kinda ruins it. I wouldn't use it as a one unit and would go for a separate headphone amp to make use of the DAC to the full extent. I much prefer the headphone output of the Asus Essence One Mk2 Muses Edition. Both devices cost roughly the same, but Asus has a more powerful headphone output and a much better sounding one, it just has an amazingly pleasing timbre with those Muses 01 op-amps, it sounds very smooth and full bodied, but at the same time extremely detailed, spacious, fast, just excellent micro-dynamics. It also has a massive soundstage, a word "holographic" easily applies to it, it just makes things sound palpable and closer to being in front of you than with the DAC1.  It's superior to any separate headphone amp under 500-600 dollars I've heard. Easily beats the Schiit Asgard 2 and Musical Fidelity M1HPAP for example. The comparison was done with the T1's and HD600's. I haven't tried both devices just as DAC's side by side, only with their headphone outs.   Teac UD-503 is another beast of a DAC in this price category, probably the best of the three when it comes to being a standalone DAC, but it has a slightly weaker headphone output, but still good enough to work as a single unit with high end headphones. However, it has the ability to be a balanced headphone amplifier, that makes the amp better, so if you have balanced headphones, it might be the best as an amp too.  It also looks and feels epic, Asus is built like a brick, it feels like it's glued to the table when I try to pick it up, that's how heavy it feels for it's size, but it still has plastic knobs that feel kinda cheap.  Marantz looks a bit kitschy with that fake wood on the sides, and also has cheap feeling knobs, but the Teac is built like a tank, all the knobs are metal and  super solid and precise, it just feels like a high end piece of equipment.   Lots of good choices at the moment when it comes to all-in-one DAC/head amp units.  I haven't tried the Naim DAC-V1, but that's slightly out of my budget. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back